Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

SoftBank unmasked as ‘Nasdaq whale’ that stoked tech rally

Interesting:https://ft.com/content/75587aa6-1f1f-4e9d-b334-3ff866753fa2
I wonder what this means in the selloff if anything.

Comments

• Does this mean we can't blame the avocado-toast kids at robinhood for the tech rally?
  • edited September 2020
    According to the following article, Robinhood users' trading did not influence the price of most stocks.
    However, these users did impact prices for certain small, speculative issues.

Link
  • According to the following article, Robinhood users' trading did not influence the price of most stocks. However, these users did impact prices for certain small, speculative issues.

Link

Thank you for the link
  • edited September 2020

Interesting:https://ft.com/content/75587aa6-1f1f-4e9d-b334-3ff866753fa2
    I wonder what this means in the selloff if anything.

Well, it's been a helluva 2 days! I suppose we're just falling back to earth. But this is yet another example of the way the System is shot through with loopholes and exploitable omissions. Good thing I'm not in charge. Heads would roll. And the whole mechanism would be tighter. The frequency of this sort of news story is becoming less and less an exceptional sort of thing. So... I can't actually read the article, but I can understand LB's header. So, a handful of people "took the money and ran," eh? Suck-holes.
  • Wish I could read the article, but don't have the subscription. Already subscribed to half-a-dozen diverse ones:-) What is the gist?
  • The last link, CNBC, from LewisBraham shredded some light on the tech sector sell off on Thursday and Friday. Question reall who benefited from this?
  • edited September 2020
    I had noticed the Equity Put / Call value had fallen to very (historicly?) low levels. I can’t figure out how to post a pic of that - but my profile picture is that graph from Stockcharts.

It is not a flawless indicator, maybe even a poor one, but it is currently flashing sell. Of course, now that we know it was a sophisticated investment bank & not the sports bettors I’m not sure what to think.

Here’s a EPCR chart I found :
  • Thanks for the charts. Can several $billion option moves the NASADQ by as much as 5% on Thursday?