Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• My sense is that you are correct in that it won't be the last. I'll be curious to know how it's resolved, litigated, or explained away.
  • @Mark I'm not sure how he was able to get the funds in the first place. Roofers were considered "essential" and the construction industry down here has been booming...both with new construction and mop-up from Irma.
  • Different news sources down here said that he also purchased a $1.2 million waterfront home around the same time frame.
  • @little5bee - it's been my experience that it's not following the rules or what you know, it's WHO you know. Lots of that everywhere. (p.s. my part time hood is the Sarasota area)
  • edited September 2020
    The true crime is they never learn. "They" being those making the rules for distributing the money. After the BP gulf oil spill, the son of a woman I went to school with applied for a couple of million based in a false claim of business damages to a property that did not even exist. He apparently spent his life engaging in first one con then another. Some time after getting the money he was discovered and, when they tried to arrest him, he committed suicide. The tragic thing was how many people who knew him thought that the only thing he did wrong was getting caught.
  • This guy was posting photos of the boat on social media...you would think a fraudster would be a little more discreet.
  • edited September 2020

This guy was posting photos of the boat on social media...you would think a fraudster would be a little more discreet.

Sometimes these cons don't really think about what they're doing.
    This reminds me of a local man who fraudulently claimed disability benefits.
    He owned a charter-boat business where he actively sailed the boats.
    He was also featured on a local television show doing yoga on a standup paddle board.
    Eventually, this criminal was caught and had to pay restitution for the fraudulent disability payments as well as a civil penalty in the same amount. He was also sent to prison.
    Link
  • Less than brilliant, it would seem.
  • For narcissistic, attention-seeking types, I guess the number of "likes" on social media is worth the risk of broadcasting their fraud.