Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Trump nominated for Nobel Peace Prize following Israel-UAE accord

edited September 2020 in Off-Topic
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/09/09/trump-nominated-for-nobel-peace-prize-by-norwegian-official/amp/

By Yaron Steinbuch

September 9, 2020 | 5:57am

President Trump has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for helping broker a peace deal between Israel and the United Arab Emirates, according to a report.

Think if he gets it/become POTUS 2020, civil war maybe coming... World views Trump much differs than USA Residents

Comments

• I can only laugh.
  • Trump moved the US embassy to Jerusalem in just several months while other presidents promised it for decades, that's the difference.
    I'm not surprised about the deal, again, Trump can do things while others just talk.
  • edited September 2020
    Being nominated and winning are two very different things. As for the location of the embassy, non members of the Likud and non-Orthodox see it as disastrous locally and bad globally for the Jews. The Israel-UAE accord is a good thing, though.
  • edited September 2020
    Any politician in any national legislature or professor in the world can “nominate” someone for the Nobel Peace Prize - they'll get their name in the news for a day or so. Right now there are 211 people and 107 organizations nominated for the NPP this year. So it's not that hard to get nominated. (The guy who nom'd Tweety Amin has done so before, too.)

Semi-relatedly, by placing the story front-and-center on their website this morning Fox 'News' is really trying to get back on Dear Leader's good side and avoid another rage-tweeting attack.... but watch him start rage-tweeting about how 'unfair' it will be if he doesn't get the award this year, Obama bad, people love me, so much winning, blah, blah, blah.

• FD1000 said:

Trump moved the US embassy to Jerusalem in just several months while other presidents promised it for decades, that's the difference.
    I'm not surprised about the deal, again, Trump can do things while others just talk.

Someday your motherland will need to decide if it wants to be a democracy or apartheid state.
  • johnN said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/09/09/trump-nominated-for-nobel-peace-prize-by-norwegian-official/amp/

By Yaron Steinbuch

September 9, 2020 | 5:57am

President Trump has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for helping broker a peace deal between Israel and the United Arab Emirates, according to a report.

Think if he gets it/become POTUS 2020, civil war maybe coming... World views Trump much differs than USA Residents

I would think civil war would be possible if President Trump is unfairly defeated. Not the other way around.
  • Let’s hope the definition of “unfairly defeated” is determined by a consensus of adults.
  • @Rbrt Yes, but any loss is "unfairly defeated" to his base.
  • edited September 2020
    Mona said:

FD1000 said:

Trump moved the US embassy to Jerusalem in just several months while other presidents promised it for decades, that's the difference.

Someday your motherland will need to decide if it wants to be a democracy or apartheid state.
    Pretty typical from someone who has no clue. Israel has the right to be where is it based on history and to defend itself. Israel has been fighting for years several much bigger countries that are not interested in peace. Israel tried several times. The West Bank and Gaza are complicated, it could be solved if they eliminated the terror and/or controlled the militants or belong to other countries which are not interested. Making judgements and living in your safe place in the US is ridiculous. I'm not interested to debate the Middle East problems.

Why are you discussing Israel anyway, let's discuss the North American Indians, slavery, discrimination, atomic bombs, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran all related to the US.

Trump will win anyway, regardless :-)
  • put up your money, please
  • Hitler was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1939. Stalin was nominated twice, in 1945 and 1948.
  • I can't read anything just now. I'm too busy LAUGHING.
  • edited September 2020
    Donald J. Trump immediately springs to mind when I think of past Nobel Peace Prize recipients like the Dalai Lama or Mother Teresa.
  • Pat_F said:

Hitler was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1939. Stalin was nominated twice, in 1945 and 1948.

Learning that crushes into ashes my hope for the soul of humankind. And now, the Donald. Just kill me, right now.