Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Tylenol, balloons and bubbles

Interesting new research out of the nation's most widely-used drug: acetaminophen / Tylenol / Paracetamol (in the UK). Apparently it increases users' risk tolerance. Researchers did a series of experiments on people who had been given a placebo or 1000 mg of acetaminophen. In one experiment, people used a computer to inflate a virtual bubble ... uhh, balloon. The more you pump up the bubble, the more money you earn ... unless you pump it up too far and it bursts, in which case you get nothing. Undrugged people settled for reasonable profits; acetaminophen users pumped to the max, often bursting the bubble and losing it all.

https://sciencealert.com/the-most-common-pain-relief-drug-in-the-world-induces-risky-behaviour-study-finds

Had I mentioned that Tylenol use spiked starting in March, leading to spot shortages and J&J's decision to press production to the max?

Comments

• edited September 2020
    I imagine that bubble machine will see use in many business schools across the nation.:)

I’d be curious what folks here been taking lately?
  • edited September 2020
    dunno about that study, but my dentist last year asked me to try a Tylenol/Motrin cocktail following a root canal. I played w/the dosages a bit (3:2 or 2:3) ever 6 hours and I had no pain whatsoever!
    From what I can tell, that OTC combo is just about as effective at pain relief than Percocet or Vicodin but w/o the high. And there's apparently science/tests to back up this acetominophin/ibuprofin combination, too ... something abou tbeing able to hit both inflammation AND pain together.

(I still have the heavy-duty stuff for use if needed for certain things, of course.)
  • People commit suicide with that stuff.
  • Reminds me of Hans & Fritz, pump me up !!! Skit from Sat. Night Live.
    Try this with 65 year old , & see what results you get .
    Yes I use it, Derf
  • acetaminophen + any nsaid do make a fine analgesic combo, but nothing like an opiate for most people postop or otherwise; and no one can easily off themselves with either alone or in combo, although if you take a ton of the former and drink a lot of alcohol you will harm your liver significantly.
  • edited September 2020
    hank said:

I imagine that bubble machine will see use in many business schools across the nation.:)

LOL. Tylenol DAILY. My risk tolerance? Safely within limits. I'm on the "honor system:"
    Get on 'er and STAY on 'er."
  • edited September 2020
  • hank said:

I can buy four ounces of fresh ginseng for 15 bucks at the local Korean grocery. Steam it for three hours. Then dry it in the Arizona heat. Bingo. You've got ren shen.
  • edited September 2020
    Many agents are addictive now, many try various ways to get cough syrups and tried to make it back into meth derivatives [so many youtube videos show you this]. So many pharmacy lock up their cough syrups with dextromethorphan. Antidiarrheal loperamide also addictive it takes in moderate/large quantities.

You can get bunch of agents that make cars smell good and these also has amount of addictive stimulants in them; teens get 'highs' from sniffing these.
  • You can get bunch of agents that makes cars smell good and these also has amount of addictive stimulants in them;

We drive our car so infrequently that after three years it still has that "new car smell". So now I know why we so much look forward to our monthly excursions to Costco.:-)

Is the "New Car Smell" Toxic For You
    https://www.motorbiscuit.com/is-the-new-car-smell-toxic-for-you/
  • edited September 2020
    Think I’m gonna mail the guys over at Dodge & Cox some Tylenol - the “extra strength“ ones.:)