Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Democrats downplayed corona virus while Trump took action

(link)
Democrats were the ones who initially downplayed the crisis

This is what Biden said on 2/1/20 one day after Trump initiate the travel ban on China.
Joe Biden @JoeBiden Feb 1(link)
We are in the midst of a crisis with the coronavirus. We need to lead the way with science — not Donald Trump’s record of hysteria, xenophobia, and fear-mongering. He is the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health emergency.

Joe Biden speaking at a rally in South Carolina on Feb. 28, three weeks after Trump told journalist Bob Woodward that the virus was "deadly stuff."
At the rally, Biden told supporters that it was "not a time to panic" about the virus, though he acknowledged it was a "serious public health challenge."
By early April, the Biden campaign said the former vice president backed President Trump's decision to limit travel to the U.S. from China. When the restriction was first announced, Biden said it was in keeping with what he called Trump's "record of hysteria, xenophobia and fear-mongering."

=============

This is Pelosi on 2/24/2020 (Trump travel ban was already in place for several weeks) (link)
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — House Speaker Nancy Pelosi walked through San Francisco’s Chinatown District Monday, attempting to quell fears about the current outbreak of the coronavirus that has kept customers out of shops and restaurants and tourists away from the streets.

=============
From Politico 9/9/2020 (link) and you can find it elsewhere
Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, defended President Donald Trump on Wednesday after audio recordings revealed that the president wanted to downplay the severity of the coronavirus early in the pandemic.

=============
I expect a lot of spinning lying until the election by the Lib biased media.

Comments

• edited September 2020
    If it hasn’t sunk in yet...

the President of the United States knew exactly how dangerous this virus was. Then, not only did he lie about it, he made a conscious decision to let it run loose because he thought people dying would hurt states run by Democratic Governors. He also insisted that red states put people at risk by opening back up because he thought the economy was more important to his re-election chances in those states.

Nearly 200,000 dead and the economy trashed because he made this a political decision about himself.
  • edited September 2020
    Apparently FD1000 has been living under a rock or has no access to a tv since yesterday afternoon as Bob Woodward's "Rage" book content was released.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/09/trump-bob-woodward-book-411225

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/09/politics/trump-woodward-fallout-coronavirus/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/09/politics/white-house-behind-the-scenes-trump-woodward/index.html

Excerpt from last CNN link:

"...The fallout has caused internal strife at the White House as aides assign blame for allowing the taped interviews to proceed. Fingers have been thrust at ex-press secretaries, longtime confidants and old friends."
  • Ignore the partisan troll.
  • FD1000 said:

(link)

This is what Biden said on 2/1/20 one day after Trump initiate the travel ban on China.
    We are in the midst of a crisis with the coronavi. We need to lead the way with science — not Donald Trump’s record of hysteria, xenophobia, and fear-mongering. He is the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health emergency.

Joe Biden speaking at a rally in South Carolina on Feb. 28, three weeks after Trump told journalist Bob Woodward that the virus was "deadly stuff."
    At the rally, Biden told supporters that it was "not a time to panic" about the virus, though he acknowledged it was a "serious public health challenge."
    By early April, the Biden campaign said the former vice president backed President Trump's decision to limit travel to the U.S. from China. When the restriction was first announced, Biden said it was in keeping with what he called Trump's "record of hysteria, xenophobia and fear-mongering."

Calling it a “serious public health challenge” in a public forum in February - yeah that definitely sounds like downplaying the crisis to me.

Better to call it little more than a flu and say it will soon disappear.

And you really believe that saying not to panic is a sign that someone isn’t taking it seriously?
    No, it’s a sign that someone is an adult and if we take the necessary steps as soon as possible, we can reduce the virus’s impact. Better to pooh-pooh the situation, take very few serious steps, let things get out of control, and then not take responsibility for your [in]actions. That’s what I call leadership.
  • edited September 2020
    @FD1000 Allow me to say, as much as you want to blame Biden for the riots, coronavirus deaths, the "very fine people" carrying torches in Charlottesville and African Americans "accidentally" catching bullets in the back from the police, Biden WAS NOT president when these events occurred.
    https://cnn.com/2020/09/09/politics/bob-woodward-rage-book-trump-coronavirus/index.html
    President Donald Trump admitted he knew weeks before the first confirmed US coronavirus death that the virus was dangerous, airborne, highly contagious and "more deadly than even your strenuous flus," and that he repeatedly played it down publicly, according to legendary journalist Bob Woodward in his new book "Rage."
    "This is deadly stuff," Trump told Woodward on February 7.
    In a series of interviews with Woodward, Trump revealed that he had a surprising level of detail about the threat of the virus earlier than previously known. "Pretty amazing," Trump told Woodward, adding that the coronavirus was maybe five times "more deadly" than the flu.
    Trump's admissions are in stark contrast to his frequent public comments at the time insisting that the virus was "going to disappear" and "all work out fine."
    The book, using Trump's own words, depicts a President who has betrayed the public trust and the most fundamental responsibilities of his office. In "Rage," Trump says the job of a president is "to keep our country safe." But in early February, Trump told Woodward he knew how deadly the virus was, and in March, admitted he kept that knowledge hidden from the public.
    "I wanted to always play it down," Trump told Woodward on March 19, even as he had declared a national emergency over the virus days earlier. "I still like playing it down, because I don't want to create a panic."
    If instead of playing down what he knew, Trump had acted decisively in early February with a strict shutdown and a consistent message to wear masks, social distance and wash hands, experts believe that thousands of American lives could have been saved.
  • Mark said:

If it hasn’t sunk in yet...

the President of the United States knew exactly how dangerous this virus was. Then, not only did he lie about it, he made a conscious decision to let it run loose because he thought people dying would hurt states run by Democratic Governors. He also insisted that red states put people at risk by opening back up because he thought the economy was more important to his re-election chances in those states.

Nearly 200,000 dead and the economy trashed because he made this a political decision about himself.

This is a country of 50 separate states that are only united in some ways. Each state could have done as they wished. Very easy to blame someone else.

So if he wants do do something about the looting, rioting and general property destruction happening in Portland, as an example, you feel he should? Be consistent now.

• edited September 2020
    @Gary1952

You need start looking around more than just M* and Fox News. Leaders of China, Canada, Japan, Germany, South Korea and France are requiring their citizens to wear masks. Then again these countries have real leaders, unlike the lying narcissistic greedy cowardly leader we have sitting in the WH.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-05-22/world-leaders-face-masks-coronavirus

• Gary, Covid was and still is a "national" pandemic sweeping across all states with our respect for boundaries. That requires a "national" response.

Portlands situation is a local problem and it's fitting that Portland sort out the issues. All 45 did was make matters worse. If your thought process is on track then why didn't he do something about the problems in Charlotte or the steps of state capitols? Instead he praises the vigilantes and white supremacists as fine folks. Be consistent now.

I am consistent. He does what is politically expedient for him.
  • edited September 2020
    Not really, every state has to be ready for a crisis, especially NY. Both the Mayor and Gov were not ready at all. They spent their budgets on something else.
    The Gov set guidelines, each state has to follow it unless you are Lib who thinks the Gov is responsible for everything.

When the crisis hit Cuomo was on TV daily bitching and blaming Trump. Then Trump added hospitals beds and thousands of ventilators just to find out there were too many ventilators.

But, who really killed people? It was Cuomo who https://nypost.com/2020/07/08/cuomo-sent-6300-covid-19-patients-to-nursing-homes-amid-pandemic/
    oops...and the Dems still praise him. You just can't make it up.
  • TheShadow said:
    As I already said it's a state issue, why they were not ready for this crisis? why they didn't follow the guideline?
    See (link)
    While the Democratic governor continues to blame President Trump for a ventilator shortage in New York, a state Health Department report warned Cuomo all the way back in 2015 about this exact problem.
    "On Page 30 the Health Department report on ventilator allocation guidelines states: “during a severe influenza pandemic, there is likely to be a projected shortfall of ventilators (-15,783) during peak week demand.”

But that’s not all. At the beginning of that report the New York State Health Commissioner, Dr. Howard Zucker wrote: “Dear New Yorkers, Protecting the health and well-being of New Yorkers is a core objective of the Department of Health. During flu season, we are reminded that pandemic influenza is a foreseeable threat, one that we cannot ignore. In light of this possibility, the Department is taking steps to prepare for a pandemic and to limit the loss of life and other negative consequences.

“An influenza pandemic would affect all New Yorkers, and we have a responsibility to plan now. Part of the planning process is to develop guidance on how to ethically allocate limited resources (i.e., ventilators) during a severe influenza pandemic while saving the most lives.

“As part of our emergency preparedness efforts, the Department, together with the New York State Task Force on Life and the Law, is releasing the 2015 Ventilator Allocation Guidelines, which provide an ethical, clinical, and legal framework to assist health care providers and the general public in the event of a severe influenza pandemic…”

BTW, would Biden, the guy who can barely talk clearly would be able to handle any crisis? Probably not, he would let his handlers deal with that while Trump was in the middle of everything.
  • edited September 2020
    FD1000 said:

TheShadow said:
    As I already said it's a state issue, why they were not ready for this crisis? why they didn't follow the guideline?
    See (link)
    While the Democratic governor continues to blame President Trump for a ventilator shortage in New York, a state Health Department report warned Cuomo all the way back in 2015 about this exact problem.
    "On Page 30 the Health Department report on ventilator allocation guidelines states: “during a severe influenza pandemic, there is likely to be a projected shortfall of ventilators (-15,783) during peak week demand.”

But that’s not all. At the beginning of that report the New York State Health Commissioner, Dr. Howard Zucker wrote: “Dear New Yorkers, Protecting the health and well-being of New Yorkers is a core objective of the Department of Health. During flu season, we are reminded that pandemic influenza is a foreseeable threat, one that we cannot ignore. In light of this possibility, the Department is taking steps to prepare for a pandemic and to limit the loss of life and other negative consequences.

“An influenza pandemic would affect all New Yorkers, and we have a responsibility to plan now. Part of the planning process is to develop guidance on how to ethically allocate limited resources (i.e., ventilators) during a severe influenza pandemic while saving the most lives.

“As part of our emergency preparedness efforts, the Department, together with the New York State Task Force on Life and the Law, is releasing the 2015 Ventilator Allocation Guidelines, which provide an ethical, clinical, and legal framework to assist health care providers and the general public in the event of a severe influenza pandemic…”

BTW, would Biden, the guy who can barely talk clearly would be able to handle any crisis? Probably not, he would let his handlers deal with that while Trump was in the middle of everything.
    Whataboutism!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-administration-left-states-to-fight-for-ventilators-during-coronavirus-pandemic
  • FD1000 said:

Not really, every state has to be ready for a crisis, especially NY. Both the Mayor and Gov were not ready at all. They spent their budgets on something else.
    The Gov set guidelines, each state has to follow it unless you are Lib who thinks the Gov is responsible for everything.

When the crisis hit Cuomo was on TV daily bitching and blaming Trump. Then Trump added hospitals beds and thousands of ventilators just to find out there were too many ventilators.

But, who really killed people? It was Cuomo who https://nypost.com/2020/07/08/cuomo-sent-6300-covid-19-patients-to-nursing-homes-amid-pandemic/

And you will ignore all the deaths your governor, Brian Kemp, is responsible for.

Right out of Trump's playbook.

That's rich!
  • @FD1000 - Not really???!!! Are you serious?

If it's not the responsibility of the common government to address the common problems/enemies for the common good then why even have one? What good is the common government if all they are going to do is to tell the states you're on your own? Do you even hear what you're saying? And why "especially New York?" Why not Iowa, or North Dakota? Texas? Florida? Oh wait, those are red states, them we can take care of. Geez you're exhausting.
  • I dont really think threads like this accomplish much, as no one's mind will change much.

Having said that what amazes me is that the "Red States" continue to hide data, refuse to test and think the virus will disappear without killing too many people.

My sister outside of Austin says her school district has restarted in person elementary school classes and Friday Night football, but none of the teachers know if the cases in the county are going up because the county government won't test at all.

So people there will only know Covid is increasing when the hospitalizations and deaths start rising again, or if they get sick.

The Florida department of health has refused to let school districts to publish their data at all.

Why FD100, is there a consistent refusal to accept science and data in these states? Apparently they assume there will not be the massive deaths that NY CT MA saw and no one will notice

We will see. Ignoring reality and going back to bars, restaurants and football games is going to demonstrate to them that science cannot be ignored. Maybe they will change their minds about climate change too but I doubt it.
  • A few quick thoughts. Once again, Trump gave the dems and haters fodder for nothing. What in the hell was he thinking giving that interview in the first place? Typical Trump. Now, that out of the way. Trump took action consistent with the threat and trying to balance that against sending the economy into a sudden collapse. Fauci said Trump did those things being suggested by his medical advisors. Fair argument whether he could have done more, or less, but I don't think Trump was getting any secret intelligence not shared with congress. Officials were all giving their own characterization based on the same or similar information. When Pelosi invited people to Chinatown I doubt it was because she thought the disease could not spread through the air. I also doubt that inducing more panic would have saved many or any lives. The idea that tougher talk would have stopped the virus is ludicrous. Even today people knowing all there is to know go to parties, don't wear masks, etc. The biggest mistake in this whole thing was telling people not to wear masks early on, and that wasn't Trump's idea... and I don't see how a "national policy" telling everyone not to wear masks was going to slow the spread. More testing, maybe helpful but even now that is no magic bullet. The United States is not New Zealand (or even South Korea) and we would not have handled covid like New Zealand if Biden was president. As with most things politic, people will see what they want to see rather than giving an honest assessment. That said, not a good development for Trump, and I don't blame the dems for hammering him for it, even if unfair. Maybe he will finally learn to shut up. Nah.
  • The COVID-19 pandemic marked the failure of Federalism at the worse possible moment ! And yes, unfortunately the US is not New Zealand or South Korea !
  • I have posted a few times about not changing things here --- we are all big kids (he said) and anyone can skip over whatever --- but a flat-out lie as the subject hed, as here, is making me reconsider at least petitioning the admins not to permit that

As if someone posted Market rebound since March is fake or indeed Trump worse than Hitler
  • Mona said:

FD1000 said:

And you will ignore all the deaths your governor, Brian Kemp, is responsible for.

That's rich!
    Cuomo killed thousands with his signature and refused to admit it. So how come he is a hero? I get it, the Lib media doesn't want to do its job.

You admit that Cuomo did the above and I will admit to what Kemp did? Let's try to get one confession from your side.

BTW, Trump declared that breathing is good for you, what Dems are going to do? :-) The resistance.
  • FD1000 said:

(link)

We are in the midst of a crisis with the coronavirus. We need to lead the way with science — not Donald Trump’s record of hysteria, xenophobia, and fear-mongering. He is the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health emergency.

=============

This is Pelosi on 2/24/2020 (Trump travel ban was already in place for several weeks) (link)
    SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — House Speaker Nancy Pelosi walked through San Francisco’s Chinatown District Monday, attempting to quell fears about the current outbreak of the coronavirus that has kept customers out of shops and restaurants and tourists away from the streets.

=============
    From Politico 9/9/2020 (link) and you can find it elsewhere
    Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, defended President Donald Trump on Wednesday after audio recordings revealed that the president wanted to downplay the severity of the coronavirus early in the pandemic.

=============
    I expect a lot of spinning lying until the election by the Lib biased media.

It's HANNITY you're using? Come back when you find a CREDIBLE source.
  • FD1000 said:

Mona said:

FD1000 said:

That's rich!
    Cuomo killed thousands with his signature and refused to admit it. So how come he is a hero? I get it, the Lib media doesn't want to do its job.

You admit that Cuomo did the above and I will admit to what Kemp did? Let's try to get one confession from your side.

BTW, Trump declared that breathing is good for you, what Dems are going to do? :-) The resistance.

The nursing home deaths are shocking. If we gave the elderly the respect they have earned there would be criminal investigations right now. The same would be true if the media could shape the story to fit some racial narrative, like if blacks were disproportionately present in nursing homes. And, if Trump had been the governor the headlines would read that Trump sentenced entire black communities to death. As it stands, the nursing home tragedy (likely one of the worst parts of the whole covid episode) is hardly even a story anymore. Truth my friends, and if you are honest you know it.
  • wxman123 said:

FD1000 said:

Mona said:

FD1000 said:

The nursing home deaths are shocking. If we gave the elderly the respect they have earned there would be criminal investigations right now. The same would be true if the media could shape the story to fit some racial narrative, like if blacks were disproportionately present in nursing homes. And, if Trump had been the governor the headlines would read that Trump sentenced entire black communities to death. As it stands, the nursing home tragedy (likely one of the worst parts of the whole covid episode) is hardly even a story anymore. Truth my friends, and if you are honest you know it.
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1303830681621942273
  • edited September 2020
    I just read about a couple who died together 4 minutes apart from covid with this quote from their child:

“It’s not a joke. It’s not a hoax,” Peoples said. “I just don’t [want] anyone else to get hurt. I don’t [want] anyone to feel the grief that we’re feeling.”

There is only one person responsible for people thinking it's a hoax...only one.

Unfortunately this is one of several post death articles where relatives posted "it's not a hoax".

ADD: I wonder how many people have said.... "dang, I wish they hadn't gone to that Trump rally" after their relative died.
  • edited September 2020
    Yesterday the PBS Newshour had a very informative segment about our nations response to the coronavirus pandemic. It is approximately 8 minutes in length.
    Link