Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• WABAC said:

Yep.

This one hits near home. I have a view of Lake Michigan from my house. Frequently stroll the beach. A whole lot of water out there. The vastness sometimes surprises those who aren’t familiar with the great lakes.
  • We've met, known, befriended and traveled widely with a whole lot of Michigeese and Michiganders. Simply great people. I guess we really lucked out.
  • @Old_Joe; I thought you were pulling my leg, so I did a small search. This is what I came up with.
    "Michigander and Michiganian are unofficial demonyms for natives and residents of the U.S. state of Michigan.Less common alternatives include Michiganer, Michiganite, Michiganese, and Michigine.
    Good evening & Stay Safe, Derf
  • And even more lesser common are Michigeese and Michiganders. The folks that we traveled with loved that.

Have a good one, Derf.. and you stay safe too.
  • edited October 2020
    Thanks guys for the references to Michigan. I’m a bit appalled by the chants of “Lock her up” referencing our Governor at last night’s Trump rally. But what can you say at this point? What I expect is even more of these hyper-crazed “rallies” around the country between November 4 and January 15 in an effort to overturn the will of the electorate by any / all means.

Michigan’s quite disparate in geography and population (as are many states). 70-80% of the population resides in / around a few southern Michigan cities, including Detroit, Saginaw, Lansing. Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids. On a map, that’s the area from around the “thumb” and on southward. These areas tend to vote Democratic. We’re the only state (other than Hawaii) that consists of separate land masses separated by water. The “UP” (as it’s affectionately called) north of the Straits of Mackinaw remains largely unpopulated, except for three or four small / mid-sized coastal cities. Marquette to the North. Escanaba to the south. As the western UP borders eastern Wisconsin, there’s a cultural bond stronger in that area much greater than that uniting the “UP” with the big cities far to the south.

Aside from the larger urban areas, the population is conservative politically. The more remote the region, the more conservative it likely is. In the NW corner of the lower peninsula where I reside, it’s something like 70-80% Republican, a goodly portion Trump supporters. Rarely does any Democratic candidate make it through the primaries and onto the November ballot. The “far right“ politically, seems to consist mainly of two different elements. There are the “backwoods” folks who never had much and often aspire to little more than a big 4WD vehicle - even if their home’s roof leaks. But increasingly, the angry displaced former factory workers in communities surrounding those southern cities are abandoning former Democratic roots and turning to the far right - out of anger and a sense of hopelessness. I also know quite a few small business owners who are Republican / Trump supporters.

Bottom line: There’s always been some friction between our “liberal” downstate urbanites and conservative non-urban dwellers. That friction has only been exacerbated during the post-2000 years. Always dangerous to over simplify. So please forgive any transgressions.
  • We’re the only state (other than Hawaii) that consists of separate land masses separated by water.

If you're going to throw in islands (Hawaii), then you should also include New York. Almost 40% of the state's population live on one island off the mainland - Long Island (Brooklyn, Queens, and "Long Island"). Throw in Manhattan Island and Staten Island and you've got over 50% of the people living "offshore".

There can be huge political divisions even within urban areas. Disregarding Staten Island which is literally an island unto itself, there's what is described as "The Whitest Neighborhood in New York City". Not the Upper East Side, as those familiar with NYC might guess. But a gated purportedly middle class neighborhood in Queens. It's not where Archie Bunker lived, though though he would have been comfortable there.

NYTimes, A Gated Community in N.Y.C. Where Trump Flags Fly
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/20/nyregion/breezy-point-queens-trump.html

Bottom line: There’s always been some friction between our “liberal” downstate urbanites and conservative non-urban dwellers. That friction has only been exacerbated during the post-2000 years

Sounds familiar. (Western NYS more closely resembles the midwest you're describing than New England.)
  • edited October 2020
    We're the only state (other than Hawaii) that consists of separate land masses separated by water.“

I knew I was gonna get hung out to dry with that comment. And thanks for the geography lesson msf.

NYC’s geography remains largely a puzzle to me. Am slowly learning. Love standing atop World I and viewing the intersecting waterways half a mile down. Approached a tour guide for another group up there one day after he finished his presentation and he was kind enough to explain it all. I recall him saying “East River isn’t really a river.”

BTW - NYC’s a beautiful sight from the air.
  • msf
    edited October 2020
    It not just NYC's geography that's unusual.

Years ago I worked in a company that, in part, developed classification systems. They would give as an example of a simple hierarchical system: state contains county contains city. (The company was based in San Francisco where they knew that a city and county could be coterminous.)

Except NYC. Each of its five boroughs is a separate county with its own district attorney. To make things more confusing, though sheriffs are typically county officers, NYC has a citywide sheriff. (That's one I had to check. I didn't know that NYC even had a sheriff.)
  • coterminous - Another great word I never, until today, enjoyed.
  • Then I guess that it doesn't mean dying simultaneously. :)
  • edited October 2020
    coterminous

Guessing here - being either too stubborn (or proud) to look this unidentified word it up ...

“terminus” would appear to be a root word meaning “ending” (in this case “border.” Therefore co-terminus” should mean: sharing the same border(s).

From Cambridge Dictionary: “having or meeting at a shared border or limit:
    France is coterminous with Italy.“

From Dictionary.com: “ 1. having the same border or covering the same area”
    2. “being the same in extent; coextensive in range or scope.”
  • Having the same ending date? As in dying simultaneously? Just playing around here...