Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Dead Cat Bounce?

edited November 2020 in Other Investing
One day does not a market make.

JFTHOI - An hour before close Monday ...

Dow +450 / +1.5%

S&P +1%

NASDAQ - flat

NYMEX +3%

Gold Miners +2.65%

10 Yr Bond - Steady @ around 0.87%

Comments

• The market has not fallen nearly enough or hard enough to call this a dead cat bounce. Far more likely, imho is the beginning of a Santa Claus rally which starts more often than not around this time of year.
  • I can see more of a Stimulus package rally after the election in anticipation of Congress finally passing something. Like any junkie, the market desperately needs another hit.
  • Dunno if it's a dead cat bounce or not. I sold my gold miners into the bounce today though.
  • Mark said:

Dunno if it's a dead cat bounce or not. I sold my gold miners into the bounce today though.

I've got a long way to go before I do much better than break even with USAGX. Initiated my first position at 41.63 per share on 8/12/2011.

Bought again at 26.84 per share on 12/14/2012.

And finally, at 13.62 per share on 6/7/2017.

Sigh.

It's a small slice at .0145 portfolio weight. I throw nickles around like manhole covers.
  • edited November 2020
    Whatever this is, I’ll take it. Second hot day in a row. What’s interesting is that the oil and metal sectors are coming along for the ride, both having fallen off a cliff last week.

Enjoy ..... The Dead Cat Bounce :)

• Maybe the cat wasn't dead after all?
  • It's clear now why the market has rallied 3 days in a row. The market anticipated legislative gridlock would occur if the Biden landslide failed to occur and it looks like the market has been proven right !
  • @carew388 So I guess the market prefers continued low taxes to a big stimulus package. Maybe makes sense: would probably mean another slow recovery with years of zero interest rates. Or maybe short-term market moves don't mean much?
  • edited November 2020
    Or maybe short-term market moves don't mean much?

Depends what kind of meaning one is referring to. If looking for some long term trend, than no - a few days’ action doesn’t tell you much. I get whiplash watching oil prices move around. In effect: trying to discern a lasting trend where there is none.

However, in terms of real gain, a one day move has virtually the same impact on a portfolio as if that move occurred over the entire year. If your portfolio jumps 5% today or this week, than it’s also jumped an additional 5% year-to-date.
  • edited November 2020
    No big move. Strange week with lots of drama. Think things will be more clear next week. I am concern that COVID cases are rising fast with 120,000 cases on a daily basis in US. When will lockdown will take place again? Certain learned something from past March.