Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Finance slang - animals

edited November 2020 in Other Investing
Why is it that there are so many references to animals in Market "slang"?

BULL and BEAR markets
Black SWAN
Dead CAT bounce
DOGS of the Dow
Cash COW
One trick PONY
ELEPHANTS + WHALES (larger, usually institutional investors)
A DOVISH vs. a HAWKISH Fed
UNICORNS (ok, not a real animal - usually refers to tech startups)
Red HERRING prospectus
COCKROACHES in the cupboards
800 lb GORILLA (i.e. Amazon)
Vampire SQUID (Goldman Sachs)

Great OWL Funds (here at MFO)

Anybody think of some more of these terms?

Comments

• Good observation. LOL
  • Spiders (SPDRs) and VIPERs (Vanguard)

CATS, TGRS, and LIONS (proprietary versions of STRIPS)
    According to M*, there were also RATS, COUGARs, GATORs, EAGLEs, and DOGS (Dibs on Government Securities, not to be confused with the aforementioned dogs of the Dow)
  • edited November 2020
    Seems to me most of those phrases are male oriented - an indication the market was dominated by males until recently. Story about Muriel Siebert

Had women promulgated the market’s vocabulary a discussion of investing might sound something like this ...

“The lotus flower’s unfolding petals suggest the expansion of the soul; the growth of its pure beauty from the mud of its origin holds a benign spiritual promise.”

Translation: The current economic expansion which has lasted for many years will continue.

“A wooded hill where perpetual twilight reigns under the star lit sky ... “

Translation: This fund’s a perennial looser. Manager hasn’t a clue.

“Thick-growing firs and spruces ... “

Translation: Large established companies make attractive investments

“June Bells - the sweetest of woodland blooms ...”

Translation: Great fund / Closed to new investors

“Some flowers that look like buttercups are marigolds, and colours that some would call yellow others might call orange.”

Translation Their accounting appears suspect. Avoid this one.

“The south wind blows Dora, so that the wild flowers in the hedges are all Doras, to a bud.”

Translation: Don’t fight the Fed.

“The little blue flowers were withered and dry, having lost nearly all their leaves ...“

Translation: My portfolio stinks.

*Citation: In composing this, I borrowed heavily from 18 Metaphors for Flower.

• ANTS-active non-transparent etfs. Also, in 2013 we had the Fed taper, which became conflated with the plant-eating mammal tapir .
  • beebee
    edited November 2020
    The bee represents the wise use of nature, not just the exploitation of it, and the wise application of industry and intelligence by a community.
    Big wings to fill,

bzzzzzzzz

• @hank: Thanks for your honesty. I thought you were reciting all those "flowery" phrases from memory. LOL.
  • A dog with fleas stock.
    Fat cat banker.
    That stock is a beast.
    Pigs get slaughtered.
    They have lion's share of the market.
    The Wolf of Wall St.
    Pony up and hit the ask.
    Animal spirits.
    Gordon Gekko (Gecko) and Bud Fox.