Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• That's nice.
  • Yeah ... I saw the registration notice and thought, "life's too short for this nonsense," and so didn't include it in the January funds in registration feature.
  • Ah, Prof Snowball.. nonsense it might be but I was telling folks 15 years ago that
    . We'd be letting criminals out of prison cause we can't afford to keep them there
    . We'd legalize the weed cause we need the tax monies
    . We'd be wearing six shooters on our hips cause of all the crime
    . We'd be seeing youngsters skip out on school loan debt..too excessive, expensive
    . We'd be seeing legalized sports gambling cause we need the tax monies

Now me thinks we're going to see prostitution legalized within four years. And. We will see gaming be the next sports arena slash investing platform similar to horse racing etc

Check it. I believe in chicago they are building a mini arena just to watch live gaming seating for a few thousand

C'mon prof. You're around the young Turks and I believe you have a young son... different times for sure...

Best regards to all

Baseball Fan
  • @Baseball_Fan : Just what do you mean by watching gaming ? Throwing horseshoes, cock fights, craps, black jack or OTB's . Just wondering.
    Say safe, Derf
    P.S. They voted to shut down
    greyhound racing in FL.
  • Good Morning @Derf,

Ha! Like your commentary!

FWIW,

ECD Company plans to build an esports arena in Chicago’s Near South Side, according to The Esports Observer.

Scott Greenberg, the president and CEO of ECD and SMASHotels, is focusing on turning the property at 2500 S. Wabash Ave. into a 106,000 square-foot venue that could hold 800 spectators. It would also be equipped with three kitchens to serve food and beverages.

On another note....According to a recent report by Newzoo senior market analyst Tom Wijman, the global gaming market will generate $159.3 billion in revenue in 2020. That would be 9.3 percent year-over-year growth. What’s more, Newzoo projects the industry to surpass $200 billion in revenue in 2023

For comparison sakes, US Movie and production revenue in 2019, ~ $35B

Mucho Grande business, this Activision, Take Two Interactive, Electronic Arts, Nintendo, Microsoft...

On another note, Fanatics, currently valued at ~$6.5B, likely going to IPO

Best,

Baseball_Fan
  • @Baseball_Fan ; Thanks for the reply. I guess I live a very sheltered life as esports is new to me. I took a quick peek & looks like you're right about up & coming !!

Stay Safe, Derf
  • @Derf,

don't get me wrong, I'm not a gamer, don't know too much about it myself...will state that my last role in the corporate world, I worked with many folks in their early to mid-20's....wow, it was kinda culture shock for me as in many cases I was older than their parents but I always kept an open mind and both them and I appreciated it...had many entertaining conversations/observations.

One talented nice guy nearly made it as a professional gamer, oh so close, told me he was washed up at 25 years young, reflexes are already too slow at that age, huh?

Take care of you and yours,

Baseball Fan
  • I am probably way behind the 8 ball, but I find it astounding that ESPN broadcasts poker games. That seems to be couch potato squared: sitting while watching others sit and stare at cards.
  • If no one tuned in, it wouldn't be on the tube. Golf is another one ! More fun to play than watch.
    Derf