Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Covid vaccine roll out in your state

I am curious how this is being implemented in another states. Here in FL, anyone over 65 can get the vaccine...however, there are some problems:

1) Because of the wide age range for this first priority group (especially in a retirement state), demand greatly outstrips supply. So even if one is eligible, it's not that easy to get the first dose. Evidently, they are working on a statewide appointment system (couldn't this have been done in advance?), but right now, it's a mish-mash. Some counties are using phone appointments, some are online, some are using Event Brite, some folks are just walking up at the end of the day to see if there are any doses available.

2) Apparently, no residency is required (and yes, I am aware that it is a Federal program), but it seems that with no residency requirements, distribution will be out of whack). Again, this issue is more problematic here in FL, because of our large seasonal resident population. Our 65 and over population greatly increases in the winter. But people from other countries are also flying in just for the shot and the word is out...we have become a vaccine tourism destination.

3) No exceptions (yet) for those age-ineligible with compromised immune systems, pre-existing conditions, etc. My friend just finished her last chemo treatment for breast cancer and because she is not age eligible, she has not been able to get the vaccine.

The governor has announced a partnership with Publix and more vaccination sites will be available. That's great, but what good are more sites when the vaccine is not available? I am not age eligible yet...won't be till May...but I'll bet they will be still vaccinating this first group when my 65th birthday rolls around.

If I were in charge, I would have started with first responders, medical and 90 and up for the first group; then worked my way down the age ladder from there. This huge age range is causing a lot of frustration. I don't think people would mind waiting as much, if the approach had been more systematic, instead of this free-for-all.

Well, how's it going in your state?

Comments

• @little5bee : Thanks for answering my questions asked elsewhere.
    Derf
  • In MN it seems that the supply is unable to keep up with the demand. At least that is the story we are being told. I am considered a disabled vet and seen regularly at VA hospitals and clinics. I am 70+ also. The VA keeps telling me that I will be informed as soon as a shot is available. I'm not bugging them at all. There are several other groupings that I would rather get the shot first.
  • Mark said:

In MN it seems that the supply is unable to keep up with the demand. At least that is the story we are being told. I am considered a disabled vet and seen regularly at VA hospitals and clinics. I am 70+ also. The VA keeps telling me that I will be informed as soon as a shot is available. I'm not bugging them at all. There are several other groupings that I would rather get the shot first.

@Mark Forgot to mention in my OP that the local VA hospital has some doses which they are allocating to disabled vets 75+. You must be registered with the VA and have a primary physician assigned to you. My neighbor qualified for this.
  • edited January 2021
    I really have no idea of the overall distribution scheme here in CA. We've been watching all local news sources closely, but have yet to see any published plan.

We (my wife and I) were guessing that perhaps sometime around March or April we might be hearing something, perhaps through our doctor's offices. But to our complete surprise last week we both received notice that Sutter Health, the hospital chain that our doctors belong to, had scheduled both of us for our first shots, with an appointment towards the end of this month. A friend who is also a Sutter Health patient received a similar message.

The Sutter Health email also advised us that for the present the vaccines would not be available through the individual doctor's offices, but that all of the distribution would be through central hospital sites. That would seem to make a lot of sense, because Sutter has access to all of the centralized computer records of all patients, regardless of who the doctor is. That allows them to set priorities based on age, underlying conditions, and so forth.

How Sutter obtained the vaccine, and how much they obtained, I have no idea, but at least they seem to have some sort of coherent plan for distribution. Presumably they have already vaccinated their critical hospital staffs.

Personally, I think that critical service workers such as teachers and school staff should come before retired folks like us, so as to get the kids back in school and free their parents to return to their jobs as soon as possible, but then no one has asked us what we think.

If there are any changes in this info I'll update this post.

OJ
  • @Mark,

Right now the frontline workers (doctors, nurses, teachers, firemen and police) are in first group of Phase I. Nursing home and those over age of 65 are being vaccinated. You belong on this group. In addition working with your VA, you can also register with local pharmacies: Walgreen, CVS and Sav-On and call to check on availability weekly. Each state is trying to get enough vaccines to deliver them to the patience.

Hospital is the best bet since they have the proper cold storage equipments. We have relatives in Illinois who received their vaccines through their local pharmacy.
  • @Sven - I am registered with the VA and so on and so forth. I also tick off all of the high risk boxes etc., etc.. I'm happy just waiting my turn. The T-administration is probably shorting us because we stomped him in November. I can only wonder when FL has enough to vaccinate Canadians.
  • edited January 2021
    @Mark - Florida doesn't have enough for its own residents...let alone those from other countries. Our governor's reasoning is that if they are down here for the winter, he doesn't want them contracting the virus and spreading it. But his constituency is getting increasingly annoyed at seeing these line jumpers. At least the foreigners who own homes here pay property and sales taxes...at least it's something..., but I have heard stories of foreigners flying in for the vaccine and flying out the same day. My reasoning is if they have enough money to fly in...some on private jets...they have enough money to at least reimburse the government for the vaccine.
  • edited January 2021
    Hawaii:
    1a: healthcare workers and ancillary workers who provide transportation or clean hospital rooms and the like.

1b: People OF ALL AGES with comorbid and underlying conditions. Also, Adults aged 65 and older living in congregate orovercrowded settings.

Stage 2: K-12 teachers and staff. Workers in "critical industries." People in group homes or homeless shelters with physical or mental disabilities or in recovery, and staff. Jails, prisons and staff. Adults age 65+ not included above.

Stage 3: Adults, 18-22. Children 0-17. Workers "important to society" not included in 1 or 2, above, who are at increased risk. Then, "everyone in Hawaii not covered yet."

BUT, I've also seen this on the local Honolulu tv station website:
    https://www.khon2.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2021/01/covid-timeline.jpg?w=800&h=800&crop=1

• Our governor has been driving around the state to announce the partnership with Publix, including my county. Today is the first day for Publix online sign up. For those lucky enough to get through the queue, apparently they can be assigned to a Publix anywhere in the state. Someone in my community (swFL) is going up to Melbourne (Kennedy Space Center area) to get vaccinated. Evidently, you must enter your Medicare card number...so at least it will limit it to Americans. County call-in system is still "working", too.
  • Here in MN we have been told that we will not have enough vaccine to inject all of the emergency responders, front-line workers, teachers, and those 65 and older until mid-April. Nice.
  • Howdy folks,

Here in Michigan, it's pretty much the same - demand outstripping supply. Wifey and I are 72 and signed up everywhere we can but everything is full at this time. It's a daily routine now - check the sites for availability. What is great news, is that the hospitals and frontline workers are getting their shots so this health care system is working.

Stay safe and wear the damn mask.

rono
  • My husband and I actually have an appt Saturday for our first shot, second toward the end of Feb. However, both of us are in the vulnerable category and I requested my doctor get me on the list early. Now, we will see if they still have vaccine Saturday when we get there. WA state seems to be very undersupplied and so, despite their competent planning, the supplies that were supposed to be but weren't collided with the plan and went boom.
  • My wife and I are in our mid 80s, healthy, and live near a small town that is the County Seat of our New Mexico County.
    I signed up for the covid-19 vaccination on our state’s web site on 1/9/2021.
    On 1/18/2021we were notified by e-mail that we had been selected and I selected a couple of times, ½ hour increments, for the following Friday, 1/22/2021, yesterday.
    The Moerna shots are given at the local Wal-Mart. They were on time. The lady said she gives 20 or so shots a day.
    We have had no more side affects than a regular flu shot, slight soreness in the muscle near the injection site.
    By the time we got home we had 2 e-mails from the state’s web site. The first told us that our 15 minute waiting period was over. The 2nd stated that our 2nd shot has been scheduled for 2/23/2021.
    We are pleased with the efficiency of the program.

• Well, got my first Moderna today. The sparse parking lot spoke to the limited supplies.
  • Don't even get me started about that cluster-flop Trumpster Administration.
  • Now our governor has instituted tougher restrictions, aimed to curtail "vaccine tourism". You must be able to show proof of FL residence (dl or id) or 2 other pieces of proof (utility bill, lease agreement, etc.) that are recent. The fact that this is high snowbird season is complicating this roll out because so many more people qualify for limited supply...especially in areas like mine.
  • Interesting Article as to the Variant's impact in Israel's Vaccine program.

world-s-most-vaccinated-nation-struggles-with-new-virus-variants.
  • Well, per my post above, we did receive our first Moderna Covid vaccine shots on Wednesday, as scheduled. No side effects other than a mildly sore arm the next day. So far so good.
  • Glad to hear, Old Joe.
  • edited January 2021
    Funny thing here in MN. The state has started inoculating seniors 65 and older while the VA is only providing vaccines to veterans who are 75 and older. Go figure.
  • Same thing here in CA... we were just talking about that. Sounds like the VA isn't very high on the distribution schedule. Pathetic.
  • The variant first identified in the U.K., 50% more infectious and possibly more virulent than the original virus, is to blame for the inability so far of the vaccination campaign and the lockdown to curb the spread, Israeli health ministry officials said.
    This implies higher % vaccination is needed than originally thought. Hopefully the mRNA-based vaccines are still effective against the mutated COVID strains. If it turns out they are more lethal, we will likely have higher death. It is most important to have the rollout to get to the general population ASAP.
  • beebee
    edited February 2021
    Vaccine passport and other updates (NY Times):
    https://nytimes.com/2021/02/04/travel/coronavirus-vaccine-passports.html

Also,

Mixing vaccine cocktails:

britain-trial-to-test-combining-pfizer-and-astrazeneca-vaccines-in-two-shot-regimen

A vaccine milestone was also seen yesterday as the number of global inoculations surpassed the total number of confirmed cases of COVID-19.
  • Finally scheduled a week from tomorrow. Second Pfizer shot 3 weeks later, all weather & other conditions remaining stable.