Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

MFO Ratings Updated Through December 2020 - Year-End Data ... Yay!

edited February 2021 in MFO Premium
All ratings have been updated on MFO Premium site, including MultiSearch, Great Owls, Fund Alarm (Three Alarm and Honor Roll), Averages, Dashboard of Profiled Funds, Portfolios, Quick Search, and Fund Family Scorecard. The site now includes several analysis tools, including Correlation, Rolling Averages, Trend, Ferguson Metrics, Calendar Year and Period Performance.

Given how far markets tumbled in March, most funds ended the year in positive territory, some very positive.

More here.

Comments

• Is this fund's historic relative performance likely to continue?
  • @Jim0445 .... which fund are you referring to?
  • Discussion of future performance, of course, is only opinion. Some do so with more confidence than others, but no one really knows. And you can find opinions to support broadly varying views ... just glance over SeekingAlpha titles.

As for investing, I do think you have to believe that people want to live better going forward. So, long term, investing should turn out OK. If you don't believe that, not sure how you convince yourself to invest.

Despite yesterday's pullback, markets seem off to a good start this year, especially value. I'll venture to speculate that Yellen, Powell, less uncertainty in administration, expectation of continued stimulus, expectation of infrastructure spending, vaccine(s), Brexit resolution, and ZIRP are several things markets can feel optimism about.

In any case, would certainly like to see less volatility.
  • My value funds, large and small caps all returned nicely late last year. Glad to see broadening of the market.
  • Yes indeed. GE, BA, XOM, OXY, WFC have enjoyed nice gains since November ... and, back to positive again today.
  • MJG
    edited February 2021
    Hi Guys,

We think deeply and often talk about our strategies to outperform the various markets, but our success rates are close to dismal. No, I’m wrong! They are dismal. Only about 5% of us manage to win this challenging task! Why?

We underestimate the many factors that both influence the complex marketplace while we consistently overestimate our abililiries to evaluate them. That is a recipe for disaster, and disaster is indeed the common ending. It seems like the less I try to outplay this game, the better I do. These days I just ignore the daily predictions and their predictors. This works for me. Trying harder generates poorer outcomes for me. What works for you?

Here is a Link to an article with a few insightful and interesting comments and statistics.

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/more-evidence-that-its-really-hard-to-beat-the-market-over-time-95-of-finance-professionals-cant-do-it/

I especially liked the following paragraph:” Similarly, over the 15-year investment horizon, 92.43% of large-cap managers, 95.13% of mid-cap managers, and 97.70% of small-cap managers failed to outperform on a relative basis.“

I wish you all successful investing and realize the huge odds against that global outcome. We can’t all be winners.
  • edited February 2021
    Thank you MJG.

Yep.

Sold TSLA in March.

Tried to buy AMZN in 2002 while vacationing in London, but was just shy in cash account on the 100 share buy ... can you believe that?!

So, in our life times: AMZN, MSFT, TSLA, GOOG, UBER, QQQ, ARK, AAPL, BRK.A, BRK.B, FB, TWTR, BTC ... all available. We just had to chose.

I'm also finding that it is easier to decide when to buy than when to sell.

Up 300%? Sell! But, then watch go to 1000% or even 6000%!

c
  • Charles said " I'm also finding that it is easier to decide when to buy than when to sell."
    +1
    A good discussion point .

Stay warm & safe , Derf