Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

SEARCH QUESTION

Upon entering dca I received a response from soup to nuts ! Meaning any word that contained dca in it's spelling showed up. Is there a way around this problem ?
Thanks , Derf

Comments

• DCA search finds the term properly when mentioned in threads for "Dollar Cost Averaging". The only other I find is for the word, Podcast; which has DCA letters together. I don't obtain any other trash combinations.
  • @catch22 : 4 or 5 pages provided these ; midcap-broadcast-wildcard- childcare- smidcap-Fidca !!!!! Do you see where I'm coming from ?
    Have a good day , Derf
  • @Derf
    I didn't go through many pages, but; as you note, anywhere "dca" are combined letters, search will find that match.
    What are you attempting to do searching these letters together?
  • @catch22 ; I was looking for dollar cost average with comment from Old_Skeet. All the junk that comes through makes it a labor of love !
    Derf
  • Maybe try dca mutual fund observer old skeet The first several items that were pulled up all related to this web site.
  • Hi @Derf. OK, I tried the following approach:

• Entered the following as the URL:
    https://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/profile/Old_Skeet
    That takes you to Old_Skeets profile page. <<< Use this link, if you want to.

• On his profile page, upper left corner, choose "Comments"-
    (That will take you to a page listing comments made by Old_Skeet. Evidently he has made 3,165 comments, but you will only see one page of the latest.)

• That listing can be expanded by clicking on "More Comments" at the lower right of the listing page. I did this a number of times, until I had a list that went all the way back to January 2020.

• Once you have that list, then use the standard "Command F" key combination on your computer. That should bring up a "Find" box which will look at all of the text showing in Skeet's comments.

I tried "DCA" in that box, no results to speak of. Then tried "Dollar"- again, a few hits but nothing about DCA.

Not sure how else to find what you're looking for.

OJ
  • @carew338 & @Old_Joe : I think I found what I was looking for on DCA. Only the comments were for a falling market & I was wondering what the options were for a rising market.
    About 4 months ago I took about 8% of portfolio value & put 2 % in 4 different fund.
    I sold S&P out with a little over 5 % profit & now hold 3 value funds , small, mid, & large.
    Question now ,do I want to add to all three or just let them ride? If small value is leading the parade by a good bit, maybe just adding to mid & large would be the way to go.
    Anybody care to comment, Derf
  • @Derf- suggest a new post on that in one of the mutual fund or investment categories. You might not get much eyeball traffic here in "technical".

OJ
  • edited March 2021
    I used the word "averaging" and found various posts, but did find comments from OS about dollar cost averaging back into 2018. I didn't proceed from that point as I don't know what exactly you are looking for. I didn't have to travel but about 5 pages to begin to rind OS. I'm sure there are more from him going farther back, but am short of time today.
    NOTE: this is when using the "search" box at this site.
  • I have extra cash I want to deploy, but I'm using etfs so I can sell quickly, without early redemption fees, if the market turns against me.
  • edited March 2021
    Maybe use Google directly, rather than search box. See below.

https://tinyurl.com/skeet-dca
  • @Vegomatic : Thanks for the idea. Found two of O_S recommendations
    Stay safe, Derf .