Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Buying this week's market dip?

If so, what are you buying (and selling)?

I will be buying FSMEX.

Comments

• I will take a look at end of week & go from there.
    Haste makes waste, Derf
  • Looking at CDC
  • edited May 2021
    Not much of a dip to speak of yet so not interested in adding to equities at this point, but I have wanted to add to my commodity play DBC (Invesco DB Commodity Index Tracking Fund). Also started to buy MOO (VanEck Vectors Agribusiness) and CPER (United States Copper Index Fund) in much smaller doses. I read Barrons every weekend and inflation concerns seems to be a theme over the past month.

Plus, I'm ~90 miles from Buffalo, home-of-the-chicken-wing, and restaurants are taking wings off their menus because of cost and supply. Now that's a sign of inflation for me.
  • edited May 2021
    Looking at the runnup in Commodities YTD, is there room to run for DBC? I guess this hinges on your inflation outlook.

And now I want buffalo wings.

• Hi @JD_co. I think there is plenty of room. I bought DBC a couple months ago so I'm up since that buy, but it's been trending up for about a year with the steepest up tick starting in Nov 2020. I believe it will be an up trend for a couple years to come. All commodities have been in a drought for a decade or more with low inflation, dropping interest rates and a strong $. Times they are a-changing. Just my 2-cents.
  • @MikeM

Near buffalo? Please enjoy a few beef on weck's for me!!

Baseball fan
  • edited May 2021
    Lots of breasts here. Stocked up during the worst of Covid.
    Kicking myself now for not buying wings.
    :(

@Derf - Let us know when it’s safe to buy stocks again.
  • Adding to PRWCX and MERFX .
  • edited May 2021
    hank said:

Lots of breasts here.

For a second there, I thought this thread had really gotten interesting.

Carew, I've been diligently adding to my boring merger-arb funds as well (MERFX and BALPX).
    Beats buying bonds. Wish I had some PRWCX.
  • @Baseball_Fan, from the Rochester area. Our claim to cuisine fame is the Garbage Plate and white hots with 'hot sauce' (has to have hamburger in the sauce).
  • Have to ignore the gyrations and follow the annual DCA plan... but I confess... @JD_co idea of adding to FSMEX doesn’t sound like a bad idea. Not selling. Hopping off the rollercoaster in the middle or any part of the ride is never a great strategy. Wish I was smart enough to spot a “bottom” but I’m not.
  • @MikeM

Near buffalo? Please enjoy a few beef on weck's for me!!

Baseball fan

Beef on weck's rule! Introduced to them at Giants tailgate when we played Buffalo. They sell them at local grocery store too (it's a rare treat--super salty!). They must be awesome up there!
  • @Starchild, you must be refereing to the Kummelweck roll which has the kosher salt and caraway seeds...if in Buffalo you need to go to Charlie the Butcher's for one of these.

Come to think of it, I haven't been to Buffalo that often, last time was a couple years ago for work, but love the people, they are all so authentic, good decent folks, love the city, love the Beef on Weck's!

Baseball Fan
  • Yup, beef on Weck. I lived/worked for about 5 years in that ski resort town, about 90- minutes south of Buffalo. (Ellicottville.)
  • Initiated positions in ONEQ and V today, buying fractional shares at FIDO. Slicing and dicing with each incremental drop. Along with FSMEX cost averaging, can start to build the volatile/riskier side of my portfolio.

Need more days like this. Many more.
  • edited May 2021
    Miners got whacked today along with everything else. The gold bugs I follow are dumbfounded. I have a slim hold in a mining fund, but retrenched a lot the past month or two. Would love to dive back in - but too early. Like playing with nitro.
  • @Starchild, you must be refereing to the Kummelweck roll which has the kosher salt and caraway seeds...if in Buffalo you need to go to Charlie the Butcher's for one of these.

Come to think of it, I haven't been to Buffalo that often, last time was a couple years ago for work, but love the people, they are all so authentic, good decent folks, love the city, love the Beef on Weck's!

Baseball Fan

Yes! unfortunately, 350 miles is a treck for a sandwiche!