Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

SFHYX (Hundredfold Select Alt Fund) available at FIDO

edited June 2021 in Fund Discussions
SFHYX seems to be available for purchase ($49.95 TF) over at FIDO with $5,000 min. At least, my BUY order is sitting out there for now .

Spectrum Finl manages this fund along with SVARX.

Comments

• edited June 2021
    I know this fund has done well, but has anyone ever figured out exactly why?
  • edited June 2021
    Interestingly, according to M* their one equity holding is Microstrategy, purchased in Feb 2021 -- I suspect b/c the company went bonkers buying Bitcoin in recent years so they may be using the equity as a proxy for actual cryptocoin? *shrug*
  • SVARX would be a nice purchase at Fido or Schwab, provided their transaction fee was $20 like at Vanguard !
  • edited June 2021
    http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/holdings?t=SFHYX&region=usa&culture=en-US

It has a position in IOFIX and well as some other mutual funds.

The Microstrategy position was first purchased 2/28/2021.
  • edited June 2021
    @LewisBraham it appears that they purchase bond funds that are experiencing a liquidity crunch...ie, IOFAX during pandemic sell off...and wait for them to recover.
  • edited June 2021
    @little5bee I'm not sure if you're joking but I don't think that's the strategy and only reflective of current positioning. This fund has outperformed its peers every single calendar year since its December 2013 inception with a very high expense ratio and little explanation as to why it has managed to do that. There were a number of years it's outperformed when there was no liquidity crunch.
  • SFHYX has performed extremely well, but is somewhat opaque. Would you buy this fund?

The recent issues with IQDAX (Infinity Q Capital Mgmt) have made me hesitant to trust smaller shops that lack full transparency.
  • edited June 2021
    The opacity, high fees, and the perhaps "too-good-to-be-true" element concerns me as well. It's not enough to see a fund has performed well. One has to ask why, then ask if that performance is repeatable, which you can't know without knowing why it did so well in the first place, and what are the risks to future performance--also can't know without the why.