Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Vanguard Wellington Fund reopens to third party financial intermediaries

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/105563/000168386321004334/f9360d1.htm

497 1 f9360d1.htm VANGUARD WELLINGTON FUND 497 PS 21J 072021

Vanguard Wellington™ Fund

Supplement Dated July 29, 2021, to the Prospectus and Summary Prospectus Dated March 29, 2021

Effective immediately, Vanguard Wellington Fund is re-opened to all prospective financial advisory, institutional, and intermediary clients without limitation. The Fund remains open to all other clients without limitation.

© 2021 The Vanguard Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Vanguard Marketing Corporation, Distributor.PS 21J 072021

Comments

• Reopening a fund at a market top? That's kind of interesting. (Redemptions are running around two shares to every new one purchased and I guess that's the reason.)
  • I guess it's good if you want to snag some even as a toe-hold.....?
  • edited July 2021
    The top 10 holdings of Wellington has changed from value oriented to more like a blended. It now holds more growth names like Google, Facebook, Amazon, and Apple other than the traditional value stocks. This change was noted in one of @msf posting earlier.

Wellington lagged other growth balanced funds for awhile as the growth stocks outperformed the values for the last 10 years. Investing more of the growth names would help to improve its performance. Don’t recall when the last time Wellington has the FAANG stocks on its top holdings.
  • edited July 2021
    I'd say the current skew is more growth based on its current Top 10...

Month-end ten largest holdings
    as of 06/30/2021

Alphabet Inc.
    Microsoft Corp.
    Facebook Inc.

Charles Schwab Corp.
    Apple Inc.
    JPMorgan Chase & Co.
    McDonald's Corp.
    Amazon.com Inc.
    Home Depot Inc.
    Procter & Gamble Co.
  • edited July 2021
    Wow. Thank you Shadow.

That's a big deal.

Wonder if it's because this biz cycle, since Jan 2020, it's only done OK versus peers, likely impacting AUM (but I have not checked that)?

• edited July 2021
    Wonder too if D&C will start closing its funds again, since it is seeing resurgent performance.
  • Schwab still doesn't allow to trade it.
  • E-Trade still shows VWELX open to existing shareholders only. Other Vanguard funds are available ntf with a 3k minimum.