Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

T. Rowe Price Is Splitting in Two. What That Means for Investors.

I remember hearing about the "splitting" of T. Rowe Price Associates and T. Rowe Price Investment Managemnt last year, but didn't really know what to think of it. Over the weekend, I ran upon this barrons article which highlighed the rationale in more detail than I anticipated. So long story short, it seems T. Rowe got so big, that it needs two entities to manage investment capacity? While I think I understand this...when i start talking it out, it doesn't make much sense to me. So This helps them so at an entity level, they aren't invested too much in a single company? Or does this help them with reporting, meaning, they don't have to report owning >X% of a company? Or is this from a trading perspective, having separate entities will make it easier to trade without moving markets? When i take a step back, I don't fully understand how its that different from just having one entity?

And of course, the most important question: I don't fully understand if this is a good or bad thing for investors?

And I assume Blackrock and every other big manager >$1tn AUM has done this?

https://www.barrons.com/articles/t-rowe-price-is-splitting-in-two-what-that-means-for-investors-51606333566

Comments

• I read about this when it was announced. Morningstar did an article about this a while back and after reading that, it made sense to me.
    https://www.morningstar.com/articles/1026626/what-t-rowe-prices-split-means-for-fund-investors
    I have about 25% of my investments with TRP PRWCX, RPMGX and TRSGX .
    The change makes sense to me. I don't see any downside. There could be some portfolio improvements. The analysts will change which could make some differences, but the managers will stay the same.
  • DaveSch said:

I read about this when it was announced. Morningstar did an article about this a while back and after reading that, it made sense to me.
    https://www.morningstar.com/articles/1026626/what-t-rowe-prices-split-means-for-fund-investors
    I have about 25% of my investments with TRP PRWCX, RPMGX and TRSGX .
    The change makes sense to me. I don't see any downside. There could be some portfolio improvements. The analysts will change which could make some differences, but the managers will stay the same.

Thank you! Didn't see that article

• I would LOVE it if they re-opened PRWCX.... Have been wanting to get into that fund for years.
  • My PRWCX is in Roth. Best place for that type of fund. 10 years earlier it was in taxable, but sold and bought in Roth.
    With the change, it might make it easier to reopen because the overall company wide ownership in some holdings might be low enough. If it did, the rush would likely cause a fast closure. Hope you can get in, Mike.
  • Thanks @DaveSch. If you hear they're opening again please post here!