Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

BAMBX VS TMSRX

I Just Sold 2 Bond Funds. WCPNX and OSTRX. Im Looking For a Low Risk Fund To Invest This Money In, Or Would I be Better Off Just Buying a Short Duration Bond Fund. Im Looking For Saftey Of Principle,
s

Comments

• I like WCPNX, would have held that versus the alt investments you refer to. That said, I think both are good choices in the space and you could buy each as they do not move in tandem.
  • I use TMSRX as an alt, and watchlist BAMBX, MERFX, ARBIX, MNWAX. ARBIX would be my next choice based on its consistency and risk profile. I did like the write up on BAMBX, thanks for sharing!
    My major remaining bond holding is GIBLX, keeping as a ballast holding. It is rate sensitive, with its high quality bonds. I have a smaller long term position in PIMIX, and considering selling to reduce risk and adding to the alt bucket.
    Best of luck,
    Rick
  • edited October 2021
    Had given up on many of the funds listed in this string. But I stayed with HMEZX, despite Nexpoint having a questionable partner history (via Highland Capital - J. Dondero). It is a red flag for many.

But HMEZX has been a solid "steady eddy" performer. Returns are bond-like, and it has outperformed other merger-arb funds. If not for that 1 red flag, I would own a lot more.

Another interesting vehicle is HRSTX, which converted a few years back to an options-based fund. Very steady, with great performance during negative market periods since its 2018 conversion.