Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

TRP ridiculousness

Comments

• Crash said:

I bought ENIC using my TRP brokerage account. On Friday, they PAID a very small "interim" dividend. It's still not recorded in my sweep account.
    [...]
    .....But it's not there....... yet. ORK!

Are you sure that the ADR div has been paid?

Here's a div announcement sheet from Citi saying that ordinary shares were to pay on Jan 28th, but the US ADR payment date was TBA (as of Nov 29th).

Looking at the last time there was a small Jan div (record date Jan 24, 2020), the pay date was two weeks later (Feb 7). Assuming that pattern holds, given that the record date now is Jan 21, 2022, one would expect to see the div paid about a week from now.

Here are sites giving the ADR div's historical ex-, record-, and pay-dates:
    Citi, M*, and Dividend Investor, the pay date for the ADR has not been determined.

Ordinary shares underlie ADR shares: https://www.sec.gov/investor/alerts/adr-bulletin.pdf
  • edited January 2022
    Derf said:

@Old_Joe : Will he catch that ? LOL Good ONE !!
    Later Derf

Ta-gooch?
    ...Ya, I get it. What msf just shared is good info. Thanks... OJ, I DID grin a bit.
  • Has anyone an idea of what's going on at TRP? They don't respond to messages, and I'm not getting on the phone merry-go-round. Although I received my 2021 1099 in the mail last week, it's still not posted online. Even though they say I can view seven years of statements and tax forms, they don't have ANY tax forms, and the last viewable statement was 7/20. Did they have a fire or some other disaster that we're not hearing about?
  • @bilvihur After all the input on this thread, I'd say they just stopped caring. Part of it, or maybe all of it--- is due to the prevailing business models being implemented these days: it's always someone ELSE'S responsibility to straighten out the problem. Which means you, dear customer, get to explain the same thing, over and over, until you just give up and give in. (Not me, I've had it!) Everything is walled-off and pigeon-holed, apart from every other office. That's deliberate. Call centers hired to deal with shareholders/customers are inbound-only. With the deterioration in service, they're probably swamped with questions and complaints, whether by email or phone, or their "secure communication" tool.

The good news? I had some T-Shirt orders flagged by Shopify yesterday as fraudulent. After a couple of back-and-forths by email with their guy, he apologized and offered me a discount. I don't bet we are going to get THAT from TRP, though.

"F**K it, Dude. Let's go bowling." -----Walter Sobchak. (in The Big Lebowski.)
  • I get all my 1099 forms online several days ahead of the paper copies. Also I get notified when the forms are posted. The brokerages take several more weeks and by mid-February I would have all of them. The tax statement and account statement are located in different folders.
  • At this point I think we’re beating a dead horse to death.
  • hank said:

At this point I think we’re beating a dead horse to death.

. Hee hee. From the Department of Redundancy Department.

True DAT. Who wants to retire this thread?

• Hmmm, our Form 1099 has been available on the TRP website since last week. We've also received a paper copy recently.
  • I am not having any of these problems with TRP. I got my 1099 in the mail, it is also easily found on the TRP website once I log in. The only time I needed to talk to them on the phone I was attended to quickly and the person I spoke to was well-informed, efficient, and on-point. Mind you, that was over a year ago. But the 1099s are now and there's no problem.
  • edited February 2022
    My excellent customer service experience with TRP has been well documented on this thread..
  • Just to be credible, this is what I saw when I logged into my account this morning:
  • Apparently images are not supported on this site. It was to show that TRP has no 1099's for my account (for 2021, or any other year). Yeah, I feel like this is beating a dead horse! I sent them one final message:
    Even though you claim to support 7 years of tax forms and statements, I cannot view ANY 1099's (including 2021), and viewable statements end on 7/31/20. I received my 2021 1099-D in the mail last week. What is going on at TRP? I'm beginning to worry about the safety of my investment with you!
  • edited February 2022
    I concur with @bilvihur that copying and posting many images is difficult to impossible. That’s doubly true of images taken from the T. Rowe Price site - likely (at least in part) for security reasons.

Geez - everybody appears to have had their say (for now anyway) re the “stellar performance” or “dismal shortcomings” of this institution. Only Ted claimed to have the authority to “shut-down” somebody else’s thread. Unfortunately, he is no longer with us. But by abstaining we could put this one to sleep. Amen.
  • bilvihur said:

Just to be credible, this is what I saw when I logged into my account this morning:

Is this what you were trying to display?

(Click on "quote" to see the source of this post including the raw HTML - I extracted the real URL from what you entered and used that for the image.)
  • @msf- but there isn't any image displayed. At least not on my end.

OJ
  • @msf- Holy cow! Immediately after posting the above your image popped up. WTF??
  • So exactly where are we here? TRP works for some people but not for others???
  • old joe yes. I stick with Fidelity since I've been with them since 1992, and haven't had any significant problems yet !
  • edited February 2022
    Too funny! (only if viewed from a distance)
  • Old_Joe said:

So exactly where are we here? TRP works for some people but not for others???

Perhaps it works with some web browsers and not others. Possibly not with a web browser in need of an emptied cache. Sometimes that has happened to me (not with TRP).

• msf
    edited February 2022
    The source of the image is not TRP. So any problems are independent of TRP.

The link (not even a URL) that appeared in bilvihur's post was: "[url=https://ibb.co/5G8wVJz][img]https://i.ibb.co/4KT3x0D/Capture.jpg[/img][/url]

The URL I extracted from that was: https://i.ibb.co/4KT3x0D/Capture.jpg
    If you click on that, you'll get a page displaying the image.

When used in an HTML IMG tag, i.e. '<'IMG href="https://i.ibb.co/4KT3x0D/Capture.jpg" /> (without the single quotes at the beginning), the browser will automatically display the referenced page as an inline image.

The IMG tag has been around since at lease 1995 (HTML 2.0). I can't imagine any graphical browser (vs. a text browser like lynx) not supporting it.
  • Yes MSF, that IS the image I tried to display. I'm probably too old to understand the ins-and-outs of HTML at this point, but more importantly, I get the same screen when logged into my TRP account this morning. Still no acknowledgement that they received my message.
  • bumping up. ..... My Fidelity switch-over paperwork is here. NOTHING should be THIS complicated. I suppose I'll be on the phone with them for quite a while.
  • edited February 2022
    If you can do it online it’s pretty simple (knock-on-wood). TRP may be one of the few that makes the process difficult. I ended up having to submit paper copies. But in moving PRPFX it was done on line. Took 2-3 days to complete. Fido let’s you attach a screenshot of an account statement. And, there are apps that allow you to string 2 or more screen shots together. I think you’ll be happy with Fido. My early problems have already been disuussed. In the end they served me well - teaching a valuable lesson about the hazard of “Free-Riding” which is an SEC violation and easy to do if not forewarned.

Good luck.
  • hank said:

If you can do it online it’s pretty simple (knock-on-wood). TRP may be one of the few that makes the process difficult. I ended up having to submit paper copies. But in moving PRPFX it was done on line. Took 2-3 days to complete. Fido let’s you attach a screenshot of an account statement. And, there are apps that allow you to string 2 or more screen shots together. I think you’ll be happy with Fido. My early problems have already been disuussed. In the end they served me well - teaching a valuable lesson about the hazard of “Free-Riding” which is an SEC violation and easy to do if not forewarned.

Good luck.

+1.
  • I've transferred numerous funds from E-Trade, Ally, and JP Morgan Direct Invest to Fidelity via ACAT and haven't provided a screenshot of an account statement in the last 5 years. Vanguard still requires account statements from the other brokerage, which is 1 reason I no longer transfer mutual funds to them ! If I have to, I transfer cash to Vanguard and buy the fund there.
  • edited February 2022
    Recently tried to move a small amount from TRP to Fidelity to acquire a fund not offered by TRP. Was told that Fidelity would not allow me to do it electronically - would have to submit a signed copy of transfer form to Fidelity.
  • Were you asking Fidelity to transfer cash (ACH) from a mutual fund position at T. Rowe Price, as opposed to transferring money from a TRP cash (brokerage transaction/core) account?

Transferring cash from a mutual fund would trigger a redemption, and for that a paper form might be required. Even in this event, I would expect the transfer of the cash itself to go electronically.

If that was the situation, you should be able to effect an ACH transfer by directing T. Rowe Price to sell shares (even if the fund is a MMF) and to send the proceeds to your "bank". For Fidelity, you would provide a UMB Bank routing number and Fidelity brokerage account number.

It's been a few years since I moved cash between Fidelity and T. Rowe Price, but when I did, I initiated the transfers on the TRP side.