Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Truckers Blockade

Heather Cox Richardson's take:

Article

"On Tuesday, a spokesperson for the Canadian Trucking Alliance told Rose White of MLive that many of the Freedom Convoy protesters “have no connection to the trucking industry and have a separate agenda beyond a disagreement over cross border vaccine requirements.” Ling noted that the convoy participants flew neo-Nazi and Confederate flags and had QAnon logos on their trucks, but Bauder urged his supporters stick to the message of “freedom.”"

Comments

• edited February 2022
    (one relevant excerpt)

“Former president Donald Trump, Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX), Senator Rand Paul (R-KY), and others have endorsed the convoy, and the Fox News Channel has talked about the convoy two and a half times as often as CNN and five times as often as MSNBC in the last month, according to Philip Bump of the Washington Post. Matthew Gertz of Media Matters for America tweeted that the network has spent more than ten hours on the story since January 18, with the network personalities—especially Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity—explicitly calling for an American version of the protest.”

Thanks for the post & supporting material @Mark. Every man has his price. But Cruz is “bargain basement” stuff. LOL

PS - I wasn’t aware of Fox’s involvement in this and what looks like attempts to foment civil strife - if not civil war - when I briefly made reference to it in replying to an investment related comment. I should have abstained. However, the economic impacts are real with auto companies having to halt production at some U.S. factories because parts can’t get in from Canada. And Toyota (which I have exposure to indirectly through FLJP) has had to halt some U.S. operations.
  • p.s. It's important not to confuse Matthew Gertz with the suspected child predator Matthew Gaetz the FL representative as well.
  • Typical reaction by certain politicians and "talking heads."
    They provide few constructive ideas/policies but attempt to sow division among the population.
  • Howdy folks,

@Observant1 +1 All the media networks do is go after eyeballs via outrage. They are the enemy. Sorry. The way they're stirring this up, is probably going to lead to violence and bloodshed, although I sincerely hope not. Trudeau is going to have to do something RFN.

too damn bad,

rono
  • well, looks like Putin found a way to drive a convoy through Fox News and leave a snake oil slick.
  • @rono has it right. This “race for ratings” (eyeballs) has been going on ever since Cronkite went off the air. Goes back at least to the OJ episode. The political angle of all this escaped me at first. Bloomberg has covered it 90% as an economic issue and 10% as a Canadian governmental problem. Words can’t describe my loathing for the gang at Fox. Wallace was smart to get the hell out of there.
  • "Goes back at least to the OJ episode."

EXCUSE ME ???
  • Umm..which one?
  • Pick one OJ. Any one.
  • edited February 2022
    Touchy! Touchy! Any skeletons in the closet we should know about?
  • How many of episodes are there ? Only came up with 2 on short notice.
  • edited February 2022
    From today’s Wall Street Journal - February 14, 2022

“In a highly unusual move, the Canadian government on Monday invoked a series of emergency powers that include limits on public gatherings in a bid to end disruptive demonstrations in the capital city and along the Canada-U.S. border. The measures, announced by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, represent one of the most striking responses by a Western government against protests by those opposing Covid-19 vaccine mandates and social restrictions in response to the pandemic, and immediately drew fire from some Canadian leaders and civil-liberties groups. The government also said Monday the country was extending laws targeting money laundering to capture transactions, including cryptocurrencies, on crowdfunding platforms like GoFundMe.”

ADDED - Hasn’t solved the problem. The uckers simply moved to other places in Ottawa and still block other border crossings. Something of an enemy occupation. I’m getting the distinct impression some right wing wackos on the U..S. are funding these folks. How else could they afford to park the rigs costing $100,000 or more and not haul? Explains why Canada is attempting to shut off flow of $$ to them.

Good grief.