Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Growth Funds for Chickens

Since there have been a number of threads on the highest octane growth funds that have crashed, I thought it might be worthwhile to start one about safer growth funds with less downside risk than their peers that still have exposure to growthier names. I'll start: GQEPX. https://morningstar.com/funds/xnas/gqepx/risk
What are your favorites?

Comments

• PRBLX compares favorably over GQEPX's short (2019) inception.
  • PRBLX is classified as large blend, which I'm assuming doesn't qualify as a growth fund for this thread.
  • edited February 2022
    I was going to say JENSX, Jensen Quality Growth, but saw that M* has it on the blend side of the line these days. But ... they also have GQEPX on the line, just barely leaning over on the blend side. Maybe the question could be funds that are at least on the growthier half of blend?

Hmm. Now I see M* has PRBLX on the blend/growth line too, but leaning over on the growth side of the line. So I'll go with @bee and say PRBLX, and JENSX too if blendy growth qualifies.

Edit: I'll also mention ESGV, Vanguard's U.S. ESG etf. It's significantly less bouncy than, for example, large growth eft SPYG. Have my eye on it to buy some shares at a lower price than currently. (Pock, pock ...)
  • carew388 said:

PRBLX is classified as large blend, which I'm assuming doesn't qualify as a growth fund for this thread.

M* categorizes GQEPX as LB:

• edited February 2022
    Actually, Morningstar categorizes GQG as Large Growth. Your large red arrow should be pointing at the "Category" menu to the left. The "Investment Style" box is usually considered a temporary phenomenon, albeit it is possible if the style stays that way for a while Morningstar will re-classify it as Large Blend. But if you look at the historical style box classification for the fund, it was in Large Growth for 2018, 2019 and 2020, and only more recently shifted to Blend, so Morningstar has maintained its Large Growth categorization.

PRBLX has better returns than GQEPX, but not better risk ratings--drawdown maximum three-month returns in 2020, beta, standard deviation or Sharpe ratios:

https://morningstar.com/funds/xnas/gqepx/risk

https://morningstar.com/funds/xnas/prblx/risk

Here's another one--AKREX.
  • edited February 2022
    GQG Partners has grown quickly accumulating $90.4B in AUM (10/31/2021) in less than 5.5 years.
    Rajiv Jain serves as GQG's chairman and chief investment officer in addition to running several funds.
    Are there any concerns about the firm's rapid growth and the key-person risk associated with Mr. Jain?
  • Might enter into the Growth/Blend area again but AUEIX is a lower risk with high min., LCGNX is a past holding but riskier than AKREX. How about CSIEX? I suppose I don’t have any favorites for this category. Hope to be enlightened by this good topic thread.
  • beebee
    edited February 2022
    @LewisBraham said,
    Actually, Morningstar categorizes GQG as Large Growth. Your large red arrow should be pointing at the "Category" menu to the left. The "Investment Style" box is usually considered a temporary phenomenon
    Isn't that what chickens do...they find a way to get across the road. That actually is a compliment to the active management and maybe a compliment to GQEPX. Your description of being chicken relates to risk/reward trade-off. Good active management sees volatility (downside risk/upside reward) as both long term and short term dynamics to manage.

Again, this fund has a short history which might be it's largest risk for me. I chicken out selecting funds that are "peeps".
  • From above thread.
    "Isn't that what chickens do...they find a way to get across the road."
    I personally know of two or three that didn't make it. Buyer be aware !
  • Lots of fun going to MFOP, clicking GO (https://www.member.mfopremium.com/greatowls/), filter by growth, and sort by (relative) UI over the various Display Period bundles.
    PRWCX wins, but there are others w 'growth' in their names until you get down to something like Fido GroCo, FDGRX.
  • edited February 2022
    I don't have a clear preference for any specific growth funds with less downside risk than category peers.
    AKREX (Class I: AKRIX) seems like a good choice but its expense ratio of 1.3% gives me pause.
    CSIEX (Class I: CEYIX) has performed well since the current management team started on 06/16/2015.
  • First list was from my watch list. Doing a little screening and POLIX appears as a LCG choice. Using risk and return metrics along with ulcer. Interesting how low its MaxDD is vs. others.
  • Thank you for the explanation, Lewis ! I hadn't kept up with Morningstar's classifications in regard to Category vs Investment Style.
  • edited February 2022
    Investors need to be mindful regarding M*'s fund category classifications.
    Some funds don't fit neatly into one of the available fund categories.
    Here are some quick examples that I recall:
    NEWFX - classified as diversified EM fund; averages 1/3 assets in developed markets
    World Stock - all large-cap funds (value, blend, growth) were lumped together until 05/01/2021

• Based on M* charts, POLIX has lost 19% in the past three months.
  • edited February 2022
    Winning period for value, of course: YAFFX is flat the last 3m, impressively, as is DODBX. (Other balanced are down 4%-7% or so.) Check VONV vs VONG. DSTL is flat too, fwiw. Experts have been talking about / anticipating this phase for decades.
  • edited February 2022
    Growth will return again when the valuation becomes more reasonable. The shorting position in S&P 500 among the D&C stock and balanced funds are paying off this year.

I over-stayed the welcome on int’l small cap growth fund and now they are road-killed.