Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Hold On or Move On

2»

Comments

• Hi @BaluBalu . I don’t have a link to past quarter portfolio holdings but I’ve been monitoring it for about 9 months now. Sector composition has consistently been heavy in consumer staples, financials, and utilities.
  • edited January 2022
    MikeW said:

Hi @BaluBalu . I don’t have a link to past quarter portfolio holdings but I’ve been monitoring it for about 9 months now. Sector composition has consistently been heavy in consumer staples, financials, and utilities.

Thanks Mike. How has allocation to Energy sector changed?
  • edited March 2022
    Sold out of MGGIX the other day as part of early tax loss harvesting for 2022. It was acting too much like a concentrated tech fund and that's not what I wanted when I bought into it.

Their 2021 Annual Report came today. Call me spoiled or misguided after years of the informative, descriptive, reflective personal multi-page discussions in the annual letters from Giroux, Capital, Vanguard, and other funds, but when fund management's commentary for an annual report is only one page, unsigned, and doesn't even say 'thank you for investing in our fund' (*) it just suggests to me they don't really care about building a relationship with shareholders.

(*) I refer to the manager of the fund itself, not the Chairman's introduction note on behalf of the fund manager's firm.

I noticed a similarly annoying thing an a recent report from Blackrock. They (Blackrock) were the investment advisor, yet they kept saying "the Investment Advisor...." as if to rhetorically distance themselves for some reason. And it was only 1 or 2 of their funds doing that, the rest were more first-person in tone. Weird, but noticeable.

Edit: Interesting too that the majority of MGGIX directors come from Perkins-Cole. One would think there would be greater diversification there.
  • @rforno, I did the same back in January as I believed that the fund had lost it's way. Too bad because it was a decent fund.
  • Mark said:

@rforno, I did the same back in January as I believed that the fund had lost it's way. Too bad because it was a decent fund.

I was thinking about it back then, too. But oh, well -- that's what TLH is for. :/
  • rforno said:

Sold out of MGGIX the other day as part of early tax loss harvesting for 2022. It was acting too much like a concentrated tech fund and that's not what I wanted when I bought into it.

Their 2021 Annual Report came today. Call me spoiled or misguided after years of the informative, descriptive, reflective personal multi-page discussions in the annual letters from Giroux, Capital, Vanguard, and other funds, but when fund management's commentary for an annual report is only one page, unsigned, and doesn't even say 'thank you for investing in our fund' (*) it just suggests to me they don't really care about building a relationship with shareholders.

(*) I refer to the manager of the fund itself, not the Chairman's introduction note on behalf of the fund manager's firm.

I noticed a similarly annoying thing an a recent report from Blackrock. They (Blackrock) were the investment advisor, yet they kept saying "the Investment Advisor...." as if to rhetorically distance themselves for some reason. And it was only 1 or 2 of their funds doing that, the rest were more first-person in tone. Weird, but noticeable.

Edit: Interesting too that the majority of MGGIX directors come from Perkins-Cole. One would think there would be greater diversification there.

I posted a pissed off thread about MGGPX recently, but held on. Good thing I did. Guess, you gotta trust a good manager. Doesn't have the jitters during rough times. He killed it during covid. Let's hope he pulls through on all this.
  • @Starchild : “I posted a pissed off thread about MGGPX recently, but held on. Good thing I did.” < — you are saying that you are glad you held on to MGGPX?

It’s down 18% YTD, may I ask why? Asking as I still own some and am wondering why.
  • @Starchild, I wonder the same thing.
  • @Starchild : “I posted a pissed off thread about MGGPX recently, but held on. Good thing I did.” < — you are saying that you are glad you held on to MGGPX?

It’s down 18% YTD, may I ask why? Asking as I still own some and am wondering why.

Well, I'm not exactly sure either, lol. The fund has a way of bouncing back after downturns. The other day it had like an 8% upswing (and fell back since). I'm not sure it's wise to sell on the downturn, at least without seeing how this fund responds this year and giving this much profit away. I agree, it's getting annoying watching this fund get beat up for this long. I'm curious as to what others are thinking.

I think my initial query was more about investing in these int'l funds in the first place. They're very volatile for something that might not beat the market in the long run, or just give you this much a rocky ride (my other int'l fund ain't doing much better). If I were to bail int'l, or at least dramatically reduce, I'd probably stick the money in VTSAX.
  • How about SCHY for international exposure-you can sell any time you need to without incurring any fees ?