Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

List of 2022 Mass Shootings in the United Sates (Updated for 2023)

Comments

• edited May 2022
    Maybe we can expect a note from certain members of the Supreme Court explaining how the founders of this country stipulated how every 18-year old was to be given the means to shoot as many people as they felt like on any given day.

And of course it goes without saying that the thoughts and prayers of the NRA go out to the victims.
  • It's 19 weeks into the year and America has already seen 198 mass shootings
    It is also the 198th mass shooting in 2022. With just over 19 weeks into the year, this averages out to about 10 such attacks a week.

The tally comes from the Gun Violence Archive, an independent data collection organization. The group defines a mass shooting as an incident in which four or more people are shot or killed, excluding the shooter. The full list of mass shootings in 2022 can be found here.

Prior to the Buffalo attack, the largest-scale mass shooting this year was at a car show in Dumas, Ark., on March 19. That attack killed one person and injured 27.
    Free link to NPR Article
  • edited May 2022
    My initial gut reaction was they should first castrate the guy, than parade him naked in public and than hang the SOB. I’m not generally in favor of capital punishment but would be willing to make an exception in this case.

A country divided ISTM. You have the very affluent with money to burn and able to insulate themselves geographically and socially from most of us. Next are those like ourselves who have (likely) ample means. Than come the low income / poor struggling to eke out an increasingly meager existence. Finally, off somewhere in the wings, is a growing disparate but radical subversive armed camp entirely outside the law. This segment doesn’t seem to be defined by income. Glad to to be corrected if someone can better illuminate things.
  • edited May 2022
    He's 18 and the death penalty has not proven to be a deterrent to crime. In fact, doing that would turn him into a martyr. The FBI needs to investigate what and who turned him into a killer. They need to profile him and the people who influenced him. I would rather see everyone involved exposed and behind bars.
  • Infinitely more sensible. My angst stems from the obvious racial aspect.
  • edited May 2022
    Bloomberg just reported 15 more shot and killed at a Texas school today (14 students / 1 teacher).

Sad beyond words.
  • Yes, and very sadly, my exact words from ten days ago apply yet again:

Maybe we can expect a note from certain members of the Supreme Court explaining how the founders of this country stipulated how every 18-year old was to be given the means to shoot as many people as they felt like on any given day.

And of course it goes without saying that the thoughts and prayers of the NRA go out to the victims.

• edited May 2022
    Well, as the nra likes to say, “Guns don’t kill people!”
  • It will never end. Just gut-wrenchingly sad.
  • glad the perp is dead. sad that the congress is full of dick-heads with brains the size of a chicken's.
  • edited May 2022
    Texas GOP calls to arm the teachers and security guards. We have gone down that road since Parkland, FL and it did not resolve the issue. The ease of access to assault firearm is ridiculous!
  • Right to life / Right to Open-Carry / Right to have an AR-15 to kill people

The sheer hypocrisy of these people defies comment.
  • There are a couple of inevitable responses to a mass shooting in America: funerals and fundraisers, prayers from politicians and the resurfacing of one particular article from satirical site The Onion.
    "'No Way To Prevent This,' Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens" has been republished 21 times in almost exactly eight years.

Its headline has remained the same for every major mass shooting from Isla Vista, Calif., in 2014 to Tuesday's school shooting in Uvalde, Texas.

It always quotes a fictional resident of that state lamenting a tragedy they describe as inevitable:

"This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there's nothing anyone can do to stop them," the person says. "It's a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn't anything that was going to keep this individual from snapping and killing a lot of people if that's what they really wanted."

The article, which has no identifiable author, always notes that such feelings are shared "by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world's deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations."

Link to NPR article
  • And this, from The Guardian:
    The Uvalde shooting was the 27th school shooting this year, according to a tracker maintained by news organization Education Week.

The tracker reports 67 people killed or injured in school shootings, including 27 people who were killed.

The shootings took place in states across the country, ranging from Washington state to Massachusetts.

• edited May 2022
    Sick dudes will happen. There’s a report the grandmother worked for the school district. Explains (to me anyway) why his deranged mind zeroed in on that unfortunate target. I’m not qualified to explain further.

Weapons of that destructive magnitude - or even approaching that magnitude - have no place in the hands of untrained, unlicensed civilians. Period.
  • @hank- I agree completely. But you already knew that. Now, if we could only explain this to the Supreme Court...
  • edited May 2022
    I keep thinking about this in relation to the laws that exist and what has happened twice now in just a few weeks: https://npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=141164708
    I don't feel most people are particularly mature at age 18.
  • Well, I sure as hell wasn't. I'll have to concede that the Coast Guard did teach me how to handle an M1, though. And a whole lot of other good stuff, as well.
  • Australia has done something right with their guns.
    https://vox.com/2015/8/27/9212725/australia-buyback
  • edited May 2022
  • edited May 2022
    Abbot uses the same reasoning dated back to 1999 Columbine high school shooting - mental health.
  • edited May 2022
    Sven said:

Abbot uses the same reasoning dated back to 1999 Columbine high school shooting - metal health.

One might question his own. I mean …. A classroom full of little kids in his state slaughtered and he hunkers down …
  • edited May 2022
    The police on-site waited outside for 60 minutes instead of going inside to pursue the “active shooter”. Don’t buy the story on how the situation changed from active shooter to a barricaded situation. I believe the police made a terrible error of not seeing the kids are endangered. Kids in the hallway have to call 911 for help. Police are trained to handle active shooter situations quickly in order to reduce the human toll. Sixty minutes is too long, and too many death -19 students and 2 teachers.

At work we now have annual training & exercise on active shooter scenario. That was never such a thing we face many years ago.
  • Sven thanks for article on Australia's gun buyback. Unfortunately, that procedure probably couldn't be implemented here, because to paraphrase Australia PM John Howard, "I didn't have a Second Amendment to deal with!"
  • edited May 2022
    Exactly. I have argued for years (to absolutely no avail) that any equivalency between a modern automatic rapid fire gun and the guns considered by the framers of the second amendment is absolutely spurious. Unfortunately the "conservative" members of the Supreme Court evidently don't find it worth their time to consider that fact.
  • If there is a solution to America wasting so many lives to gun violence, it may lie in confronting a more profound question than how to keep firearms out of the hands of dangerous people. The linked article, among others that I have read about the misérable US response to the Covid epidemic, suggests that we need to start caring for one another and start trusting in our fellows and our institutions. Other countries dealt with a disease that threatened countless numbers of their citizens by appealing to those citizens’ sense of responsibility and civic duty. I fear we Americans have lost our sense of community. I certainly don’t have a quick remedy for this terrible malady. If the average American can walk down the street with a loaded gun, one designed for killing other people, and claim that the Second Amendment trumps all other measures of human decency, we are in deep merde. American exceptionalism is no badge of honor but is a stain. No other country has a Second Amendment like ours and no other country sees its citizens slaughtering each other with « legal » assault rifles.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/15/world/australia/covid-deaths.html?searchResultPosition=1