Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M* Interactive Charting AWOL?

2»

Comments

• edited June 2022
    imo, without specifc date range function this tool becomes worthless for the most part.
    Zero plans to pay for it.
  • I agree although some rough tome adjustments are possible with the dynamic window in the bottom panel - the left and right sides are moveable, and the window as a whole can slide (maintaining the width/timeframe). But it is difficult to achieve precise start and end dates from this. At best, clunky.
  • Yes, analog inputs are a pain.

Having to use a slider to set window dates is an issue I have with StockCharts as well. At least that site gives you minimal digital controls.

You can set the width of the window by number of days (numeric, i.e. digital sizing) by double clicking on the number of days in the slider bar. However, it scales only by trading days, which can vary by month, year, even week. Set it at five days, and you'll get the last 8, not 7, calendar days, because markets were closed Memorial Day.

There is also minimal digital control over the positioning of the window by using arrow keys to move one day at a time rather than the more analog dragging of the bar. Combing the ability to size the window (by trading days) with the ability to slide the window discretely (one day at a time), and one can specify exact dates In StockCharts, barely.

Overall, a slight improvement over what M* provides, but still inadequate, especially since the free version seems to go back only to 1999, or less for some funds, e.g. VPMCX (though inception was Nov 1984). Other options?

M* legacy charts still work (sometimes; they've been unreliable lately). They allow one to input precise dates for start and end points. Though you're limited to specifying benchmarks for comparison; you can not compare a fund with an arbitrary ticker.
    https://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fund/chart?t=VWELX (change ticker as desired)
  • Does the chart for those of you with subscription service provide date range specific function right now?
  • Does the chart for those of you with subscription service provide date range specific function right now?

No. I have checked new Interactive Charts feature with unsigned and signed browsers and the features are the same.

• Free Stockcharts SharpCharts do allow start and end dates. Problem is that links soon default to 1-yr unless one uses screenshots to capture the charts.

PerfCharts do have that adjustable window at the bottom.
  • @yogibearbull,

Is there no hope of getting back the M* chart features such as date range and being able to compare mutual funds and ETFs, etc.?
  • edited June 2022
    I haven't heard back from my contact at M* since 6/1/22 and there hasn't been any changes either. So, may be the degradation of the chart feature was intentional by M*.

Stockcharts is a good alternative. PV is OK to some extent. Below are OEF VFIAX / SP500 and ETF QQQ for 1 yr.

https://stockcharts.com/h-perf/ui?s=VFIAX&compare=QQQ&id=p11226189239

PV VFIA-X QQQ
  • edited June 2022
    I have been using Stockcharts but it does not recognize all tickers (not just different classes). M* charts used to recognize more tickers than stockcharts but looks like we have to make do with stockcharts until M* decides to revert back.
  • How do you get % return for VWINX since 3/15/2021 using slider on M* new chart?
    Please list steps.
  • One way to do it is to select a date range from the chart that incorporates the dates you're interested in (in this example three years would work). When the chart pops up move your cursor along the graph and you'll see daily dates whirring by. Find the one you want, but note you'll have to do your own math in order to determine the return during that custom period. The other way to approach it is to slide along the graph at the bottom of the chart but it's pretty fussy and difficult to pinpoint the dates you're interested in. Those are my work-arounds, so far at least.
  • 'slide along the graph' only gives you interim return % within the header choices 1M, 1YR, YTD etc.
  • Works for me. Moved the left slider to March 15th, and graph reports a loss of 1.77%. Yahoo finance says the loss was 1.76%. Those are not 3 month losses or YTD losses.

VWINXmarch15-June6
  • edited June 2022
    Not for me. When I move the slider to the left, the VWINX total return number does not change. Anybody else? Anybody have a clue?
    When I set my slider at 3/15/2021, the far left hand date is 11/29/2019.
  • What are other people seeing on their screens? Like msf or like me?
  • I don't pay for M* so I see none of this.
  • msf, where you logged in as a paid member to M* when you showed the above screen print?
  • edited June 2022
    I got close to @msf by moving the left slider- I am getting month ends, so 2/28/21, 3/31/21, etc. EDIT - I just noticed that msf did 3/15/22 (not 3/15/21), so that may be why he didn't run into month end issue.

• I can see Interactive Charts from UNSIGNED Firefox.
  • When I start by clicking on different Max, 10Y, 5YR and then enter 3/15/21 slider date.....I get different left hand chart start dates. I also notice your screen print shows a shaded start and end date that msf and myself does not have.
  • @shipwreckedandalone, EUREKA!

I didn't notice it before. It seems that the date windows appear on HIGH browser magnifications (175%+) and are editable!
  • Great job Yogi. I finally got it to work.
  • Another test with another ticker, VFIAX. In my browsers , date windows appear only at 170-175% browser magnification (Chrome 175%,Edge 175%, Firefox 170% ), but once set, they stick. Date windows disappear for lower AND higher magnifications. So, this is the workaround and I will post it separately.

• @yogibearbull seems to be right about the slider giving daily granularity only for more recent dates. And about my using 2022, not 2021. As I recall, the old chart tool had a similar issue that if you went back far enough in time you couldn't coax daily changes out of it. Not sure about that, though.

I've tried chrome and edge, both logged in and anonymous and at no magnification do the date boxes appear for me. I've also experimented a little with disabling my ad blocker. There must be some other setting/configuration issue at play here. Not worth it to me to figure it out.

FWIW, the old charts seem to be working again, and they always have the input dates. Though you can't compare with anything but benchmarks.

On the plus side, they're shareable/linkable, so you can follow this link and I don't have to take a screenshot and upload it.
    VWINX old chart from March 15, 2021
  • ISTM that the interactive M* charting has once again disappeared. It used to be available in the "Quote" and the "Performance" tabs, but I can no longer see it. So many members have given up on M* that maybe I'm the only one who noticed.
  • It was moved to the Charts tab some time ago.

You're not alone; some of us are also for the ride, going down with the sinking ship:-(
  • I now recall the previous discussion about this. The new charting tab is clunky and not integrated into the other stats and info on individual funds.