Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

I Bond Interest?

I just saw that my original Treasury Direct $10K purchase now has a value of $10,060. But, I can't find anywhere on the antiquated TD website that shows the interest payment. Is there a way to view interest payments? Thanks!

Comments

• When you log into your Treasury Direct account, you can see the details for each I-Bond: Date, Interest Rate, Amount (original), Current Value. The difference in the current value and amount is your interest. Be aware that the interest shown is net of 3-mo penalty, if you are checking the calculations. I don't see any tab for more interest details.
  • The savings bond calculator will display the value of a savings bond as of any given month. To find the net amount of interest credited to the savings bond between two given months ask for the values on those two months and take the difference.

Note: this shows net interest credited. One doesn't get credit for the last three months of interest until the savings bond has been owned for five years.

For example, if you input your month of purchase, 03/2022, and an amount of $1,000 (since $10K paper bonds are no longer issued), you'll see $6.00 of interest both total and YTD (useful if you're electing to pay taxes yearly). Multiply by 10 to show the interest on a savings bond worth ten times as much (i.e. $10,000).

Unlike TIPS, with savings bonds there is no adjustment to principal. The entire increase in value is due to interest.
  • Thanks guys, TD really needs to be updated. I read that is in the works.
  • edited July 2022
    Yes, the TD website is outdated and somewhat cumbersome to navigate.
    A website redesign would certainly be welcome.
  • An update on the user interface aspect would be very helpful to investors. This is typically government sites that were build many years ago and with minor and I frequent updates.
  • After reading the mess the government TSP site update produced, be careful, be very careful.
  • +1 Anna I experienced the TSP website mess for myself. I did a trustee to trustee transfer on 6/23 and had the funds sent to Fidelity. The transfer via paper check only took 5 calendar days, so that was a pleasant surprise. I find Fidelity easier to deal with and don't want the separate recordkeeping hassles of a TSP account!
  • I've to become more familiar with the TD website.
    but I can not get rid of the "virtual keyboard popup" for only entering a password...
    from registered on TD site, my Mac laptop, and every time.
    Does anyone have that issue with Mac? or Is that a TD thing , for security?
    Thanks.
    majick
  • Treasury Direct (TD) has only a virtual keyboard for password entry and you cannot get rid of it. Unusually, the TD passwords are not case-sensitive (most typically are, while usernames are not). TD is just an older and clunky website.
  • edited July 2022
    Entering my password using TD’s keyboard is the least of the annoyance and I have done that using either Mac or PC computers.

TD could require dual-factor authentication to improve security on your behalf as the major brokerages and TSP do.

TD website is not as organized (as Schwab or Fidelity) and one have to learn in order to navigate on the site. The FQA section explains how and when the interest is accursed and paid. For the first time, it took several minutes to locate where to invest for I bond. I used the search engine on the upper hand corner that lead me directLy to it.

• Treasury Direct (TD) has only a virtual keyboard for password entry and you cannot get rid of it. Unusually, the TD passwords are not case-sensitive (most typically are, while usernames are not). TD is just an older and clunky website.

For years I cursed the virtual keyboard until I discovered that my password manager (1Password) will fill in the password and bypass the keyboard on my desktop Mac.
  • edited July 2022
  • Thanks for the update & comment. 
    I did try with 1Password on my Mac laptop but don't know how to avoid Virtual Keyboard for a password every time.

OTOH, 
    after setting up on Fidelity Fullview/eMoney, only after it's funded with $, not just a blank account number, with an aggregator, It tracks and reports a/c balance with details...Go figure...
    Now you can see a/c details on TD, without logging in!
    Thanks.
    Majick