Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

So... Are the past couple of days upward just a head-fake?

I'm just asking for trusted opinions here. :)

Comments

• Prolly. Magic 8-ball says "Only time will tell".

Question: If earnings estimates continually get reduced, but companies clear a much lowered bar, is that really an earnings "beat"?

Well, that's where we are at.

P.S. Not a trusted opinion.
  • Giggle. 2 of my 4 single stocks have just lately beat earnings estimates. For what it's worth.... I keep watching. Just canceled a low-ball Limit Order. It costs me nothing for now, to wait and watch.
  • You eliminated me with that "trusted" part. :(
  • edited October 2022
    Could be Vegassss mentality uncle uncle Powell speak next wk or so and market likely take another beat down. Could be higher low
    Only time will tell.
    68% beat er so far not too shabby
  • edited October 2022
    I had planned some transactions for October and I got them done by last week. Some were minor tinkering. One move was higher allocations for multi-asset funds (FMSDX, VPGDX) with money coming from some traditional allocation funds.

This bounce could be for pre-election or the month-end or the UK-political-situation-resolving or just a no-reason bounce.

I am slowed down by Covid and Paxlovid this week.

Charts https://stockcharts.com/h-perf/ui?s=$SPX&compare=$COMPQ,$INDU,$TRAN,IWM&id=p80059377082
  • edited October 2022
    @yogibb, hope you recover quickly. That remind me to get the bivalent booster shot.

I have friends who were in your situation and they recovered fully in a week or so. Make sure you take the 5 days dosage as instructed. Best wishes.
  • @yogibearbull
    Well, crap. The Paxlovid should do the fix. Glad for the scientists and the money that backs the medical projects.
    Sometimes hard to sit still for awhile; but is good medicine, too.
    Take care.
  • Paxlovid seems an effective medication. It is by prescription but is free from government or from health insurance. I don't know, how much Pfizer gets paid for it although I read somewhere that it would sell it for $530/box (5-day course) list.

It did cause a very bad taste in the mouth that I searched for and found a less common symptom that it is called Paxlovid-Mouth. Also, every 2-3 hours of sitting up, I get sleep-tired, and I am not even a day napper.

Both my wife and I got it. Bright side is that sort of solves the isolation logistics for now.
  • @yogibearbull- Here's hoping for a quick and complete recovery. Best to you.
    Regards- OJ
  • edited October 2022
    @yogibearbull,

That stinks! Hope you get well soon.
  • @YBB. Hope you get well real quick.
  • @yogibearbull: best wishes for your recovery. Although the knowledge came too late, my wife learned that cinnamon "red hots" candies relieve the awful taste due to Paxlovid. She got it about five weeks ago while I did not. In April, I caught the flu (despite vaccination) but she did not.
  • edited October 2022
    Wishing YBB and everyone else who gets it a complete recovery. It's a good time to consider playing it safe; apparently BQ1.1 is no joke, and long-haul covid is a very real risk.

One epidemiologist I read (via email subscription) says the W.H.O. is tracking (trying to track?) more than 100 variants and subvariants around the world.
  • Thanks for well wishes & suggestions.

Will give Cinnamon Red Hots candies a try. A relative is coming tomorrow to drop some meds & supplies at the door. Will ask her to also stop at the nearby Walmart.

We were waiting to get the new bivalent boosters that became available only recently. We didn't want to just keep getting the old boosters that are still based on the original 2020 virus.

For 2 yrs, we have been basically homebound, avoiding routine social gatherings. We have attended only a handful of very special events. Our friends complain and some have stopped inviting us. Most recent special event was a funeral of a good friend. We are not sure but we both may have caught it there; we kept our masks on all the time but few others did.

Life happens.

Now to sleep again in the Covid world - late here anyway.
  • Best wishes for a speedy, complete recovery.

I had covid a while ago. No medication. It took me "just" 4-5 days to recover, but about two weeks until I tested negative, and about three weeks before I could function for more than half-days. From what I've read that's not atypical. Hope you do better.

I agree with AndyJ that these days the really scary part is the possibility of long haul. I wish people would take it more seriously.
  • i'm sad to hear of your covid, @yogibearbull. Wife and I caught Delta last year. No fun at all. Double-Vaxed and boosted, but not with the newfangled one--- yet.
  • OT, but: Everyone here who has had covid, be sure to mention to your PCP at your next OV about the newly uncovered sequelae of clots and liver impairments.

Doubtless there are others.

I have been tracking such because a nephew has the latter (developed ~12w out from summer covid) and I just am getting over the former, including big multivein DVT developed at 10w post-covid which produced big (also lethal much of the time) pulmonary embolism with lotsa wee clots in all lobes.

So go know, and be sure your PCP is alert to this nasty stuff.
  • Yogi: "For 2 yrs, we have been basically homebound, avoiding routine social gatherings. We have attended only a handful of very special events. Our friends complain and some have stopped inviting us. Most recent special event was a funeral of a good friend. ... we kept our masks on all the time but few others did."

Ditto; I understand whereof you speak. I apparently had it in the first wave (Feb. 2020, no reliable tests then according to PCP and local hospital) and developed some of the (now considered) standard sequelae, luckily relatively mild compared to others I know. Liver health is still a concern, though.
  • Best wishes for a quick and non-consequential recovery, yogi...
  • Everyone please take care of you and yours and with all seriousness, here's to Good Health to ALL.

Baseball Fan
  • @yogibearbull : A speedy recovery to you & others . $530 for treatment sounds cheaper than a day or two in the hospital. Let us know if the cinnamon hots work for you.
  • edited October 2022
    Hope YBB get better soon
    Because of possible older than 65 you, may need MAB infusion antibodies if not better (cut off date is 9 days from first symptoms)... If feel better slightly from first day nothing to do. MAB very effective and these wonderful nurses go to your house give treatment if your provider think you qualify

Be careful everyone

Long COVID can kick ass also... I suffer from chronic dizziness more than 9 months now after got it 2x, finally got better 2 months ago

https://medlineplus.gov/postcovidconditionslongcovid.html
  • Sorry to hear that, Yogi. Get better. Long Covid is no joke, as is the regular kind.
  • edited October 2022
    Paxlovid should be free...Uncle Joe signed bill 5 months ago... Your provider will Probably ask you to sign life waiver form if you want take that horse poison.. So many issue with that anti-HIV HIGH dose medication. Treatments sometimes worsen than the disease process

• Paxlovid seems an effective medication. It is by prescription but is free from government or from health insurance. I don't know, how much Pfizer gets paid for it although I read somewhere that it would sell it for $530/box (5-day course) list.

It did cause a very bad taste in the mouth that I searched for and found a less common symptom that it is called Paxlovid-Mouth. Also, every 2-3 hours of sitting up, I get sleep-tired, and I am not even a day napper.

Both my wife and I got it. Bright side is that sort of solves the isolation logistics for now.

Yes, Paxlovid is free to the US consumers, as noted above. But Pfizer is getting paid. I found this NPR report with more details that says (but I didn't read the entire contract) that the US Government got a discount from $530/box (5-day course) for its initial huge order, but is paying $530/box for any incremental orders. As is typical, consumers' insurance may be billed first and it is not covered for ANY reason, the Government picks up the tab.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2022/02/01/1075876794/feds-contract-with-pfizer-for-paxlovid-has-some-surprises
  • There is still over 400 death daily due to COVID and this is far from over. That is a real good bill that President Biden signed including the booster shots.

Getting anti-viral drug treatment early on makes a big difference to prevent further spread of the virus. The 5-day treatment is required. Initial infliction affect one’s pulmonary system (difficulty breathing), cardiovascular system (blood clot), and central nervous system (loss of taste and smell, brain fog and others). Vaccinated and boosted help to reduce the severity of infection and the likelihood of serious hospitalization. I have lost several friends and some ended up being long haulers. This matter is serious. Please wear your mask, use hand sanitizer, and get your bivalent booster shot.
  • @johnN
    You wrote about Paxlovid and then wrote this,
    "So many issue with that anti-HIV HIGH dose medication. Treatments sometimes worsen than the disease process"
    What are you writing about? Are you writing about the horse meds that were discussed when "T" was president?

Note: I don't mind this thread wander, as this topic is important.
  • @Yogibearbull

I hope you and your wife get well soon and avoid long Covid. The latter is a real issue although only the "liberal" news media wants to acknowledge it.

It is all so politicized. GOP out today trumpeting that their refusal to lock down schools made the drop in reading scores less dramatic in TX and FL.

But California that had hard lock downs, dropped the same amount.

• @YBB,

I am sorry to hear that COVID got you and your wife. Paxlovid is an excellent medication and works quite fast. My wife took it and in less than two days she was OK. OTOH, the bad taste was really really bad for her.

Best
  • edited October 2022
    The one issue I’ve heard with this Paxlovid treatment is the potential for Covid “rebound”, but doctors think it’s still worth taking: https://scientificamerican.com/article/what-is-paxlovid-rebound-and-how-common-is-it/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwteOaBhDuARIsADBqRei0IGh4zpzGQbaVKUkGGQks571s3NkqVwf-x1gzew335VzktlvxJGIaAoA9EALw_wcB