Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Nevada: YES !!!

edited November 2022 in Off-Topic
Respecting MFO standards, as this thread has become somewhat contentious, I'm moving it to the Off-Topic arena, where it actually properly belonged from the beginning. Thanks to everyone for their tolerance of the posting infraction.

Comments

• edited November 2022
    And I'm guessing that Mitch ain't very happy.
  • NBC is now calling the Senate for Democrats. Only the GA runoff on Dec 6 remains and NBC thinks that Democrat Warnock will win that.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/12/midterm-senate-elections-2022-democrats-keep-majority.html
  • Made my day.
  • edited November 2022
    Viva Las Vegas Voters!

Edit to add: Elvis rocks it!
  • edited November 2022
    This is good news indeed!
    I was concerned that Republicans would gain control of both the House and Senate.
    Thankfully, the "red wave" some pundits predicted did not occur.
  • The egg all over Trump's face made this a great mid-term election. This is the cherry on top.
  • Thank you. That makes my day!
  • Yes, yes! Good day indeed.
  • Jon Meacham on CNN, early evening, Nov. 12.10 minutes, with CC, closed caption button available, for those with hearing impairment.
    We're all fortunate individuals like him are here to help us learn about the today's and remember the past, too.
  • I thought even more significant was the later headline tonight saying that every election denier running for a post from which he could distort an election had lost. Maybe enough voters are sick and tired of two years of the BS Trump has to sell, especially as it concerns the denial of his resounding defeat in 2020. Telling us we are participating in a rigged system is telling us our votes don’t count when we know GD well that they do.
  • edited November 2022
    BenWP said:

I thought even more significant was the later headline tonight saying that every election denier running for a post from which he could distort an election had lost. Maybe enough voters are sick and tired of two years of the BS Trump has to sell, especially as it concerns the denial of his resounding defeat in 2020. Telling us we are participating in a rigged system is telling us our votes don’t count when we know GD well that they do.

I am a long time registered conservative Republican. But to all you Trump haters out there, my dislike of the man is 10x greater than yours. He has completely destroyed the GOP. I find him totally responsible for the events of 1/6/21. I attribute part/most of the lack of a red wave in 2022 to his shadow. I am glad all/most of his election deniers were soundly defeated. That was a joke from day one. Knowing him if he is now totally rebuked by the Republicans he will out of spite run as a third party candidate to even further destroy the GOP. As I mentioned elsewhere, Trump is the gift that keeps on giving - but to the Democrats. Sorry for the rant, but nothing gets me more riled up than Donald Trump.

• @Junkster- Yes sir, some of us are old enough to remember pre-Newt Gingrich when the two parties could frequently disagree about some proposition, but could sit there and beat each other up until they came to some compromise that neither one particularly liked, but that mostly worked to the benefit of the nation.

What a shame to have lost that ability. And Trump was (we can hope) the culmination of what Gingrich set into motion. I really appreciate and respect your comments.

Regards-
    OJ
  • Been watching these races all week long and I couldn’t be happier… Sanity, decency, democracy and individual rights all win. The last couple of months There has been this awful sense of foreboding that it was all going to come crashing down. I have spent a lot of time this past year reading about those who sacrificed so much to protect these ideals during WWII. Revives my faith that despite all the punditry’s calls, that things went the right way. Probably too much to hope but maybe this is the beginning of the end of trump.
  • edited November 2022
    We have some ways to go to get to pre Newt era. Gaetz and Green got elected quite easily and Boebert might win too. Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley and Tom Cotton still remain at large and haven't been returned to the zoo.

Perennial liar and Trump acolyte Huckabee became the Governor of Arkansas.
  • stayCalm said:

We have some ways to go to get to pre Newt era. Gaetz and Green got elected quite easily and Boebert might win too. Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley and Tom Cotton still remain at large and haven't been returned to the zoo.

Perennial liar and Trump acolyte Huckabee became the Governor of Arkansas.

Sadly, all too true.
  • Thanks for contributing these thoughts, @Junkster.
    I am a long time registered conservative Republican. But to all you Trump haters out there, my dislike of the man is 10x greater than yours. He has completely destroyed the GOP. I find him totally responsible for the events of 1/6/21. I attribute part/most of the lack of a red wave in 2022 to his shadow. I am glad all/most of his election deniers were soundly defeated. That was a joke from day one. Knowing him if he is now totally rebuked by the Republicans he will out of spite run as a third party candidate to even further destroy the GOP. As I mentioned elsewhere, Trump is the gift that keeps on giving - but to the Democrats. Sorry for the rant, but nothing gets me more riled up than Donald Trump.

I can remember the days when Ed Boland (D) and Silvio Conte (R) from neighboring districts could drink and play cards together. We were not enemies to each other. Intelligent, principled conservatives have my respect. The Trumpster is just an evil orange orifice. The perfect example of why the Electoral College must go, or else be worked around, as with the National Popular Interstate Compact.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact
  • Despite my conservative leanings, it's reassuring that the voters so clearly indicated that they will not support self-centered, untruthful, and cowardly candidates. They, and HE, succeeded in driving me from the Republican Party in this election. Make no mistake, Trump, his apologists, and the cowards who 'fell in line' with his nonsense were CONVINCINGLY repudiated. I wonder how many Republicans will now grow a spine as a result?

As an aside, can anyone explain to me why ANYONE would think it's a good idea to contribute hard-earned cash to a multi-billionaire's 'campaign'? He's got to be the greatest conman ever...

• As an aside, can anyone explain to me why ANYONE would think it's a good idea to contribute hard-earned cash to a multi-billionaire's 'campaign'? He's got to be the greatest conman ever...

Yes, to get 40% of the population to fall for his act repeatedly, he had to be 1 heckuva con-man. Many victims left behind, along with a messed up US Court system lined with his followers. He tried to tilt the legal system to suite his needs.

So very happy to see this week's win for Democracy. Voters came through, for the most part. Annoyed that Boebert is likely to scratch out a win, and the likes of Green and Gaetz are still lurking. A lot of work to be done to get rid of these dark, dangerous characters.
  • Election deniers got swept out in Arizona, Pennsylvania and Michigan. Hopefully in the future we won't have to worry (too much) about election results becoming meaningless.
  • All the posters here express their hatred of Trump. I don't like the man either but it be more meaningful if there was discussion of his policy failures and how it is so much better now.
  • Not much need to further discuss the man. He's made it very clear who he is and what he stands for. And the election results pretty well demonstrate that many Americans don't need more discussion.
  • @ga6742

Setting aside the crude behavior, continuous
    lying on any topic big or small, "policies" of ignoring the perils of Covid, advocating bleach as a solution, instigating an attack on the US Capitol, threatening to withold aid to Ukraine for personal gain and still continuing to insist that the 2020 election was stolen with zero proof aren't much policies at all. I could easily fill another twenty pages with more examples.

Your turn now -- do educate us on why Trump deserves to be President with his behavioral and moral deficiencies. Perhaps you believe that the bills signed by a Prez are all that matter and boorish behavior does not matter but most citizens I think want a President to be a decent guy/gal that represents the best of the American spirit and not a mean spirited pu$$y grabber, failed businessman and life long grifter who would be a nobody had Daddy not left a fortune behind.
  • All it took for me to dismiss the Orange Orifice was to see very plainly that he owns no conscience. He will say or do ANYTHING. My question is and has been: how can anyone who claims to own a conscience vote for a man who quite clearly, obviously and transparently does not possess one???
  • @ Crash. By extension,,,, how can anyone vote for the political party led by such a man?
  • Thanks @LewisBraham. I had never heard of “vessel theology” prior to reading the linked article. I can’t recall ever reading of such a distortion of facts and twisted logic. It was called balderdash in the old days. King Cyrus, my bippy. The last expression would have been heard on Rowan and Martin’s “Laugh In,” in the days when comedians were funny as opposed to cruel.
  • edited November 2022
    "It was called balderdash in the old days." It's still called a word beginning with a "B".
  • scripture is filled with irony, yes..... the ironic is very often the point. but not layer upon layer of bullshit. Trump as The Almighty's vessel? Keep in mind that the assertion that Cyrus was God's vessel is ITSELF an interpretation. EVERY WORD in the bible conveys an interpretation.

There's just no way to interpret the Trumpster as anything other than bull feces.
    -----Rev. J. Moriarty, retired.
    Presbyterian Church (USA.)