Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Thanks YBB

not because it’s thanksgiving but it’s a good day to appreciate all the hard earned knowledge that YBB shares with the group. TY Yogi!

Comments

• Agreed, wonderful addition to the group. Also, very thankful for everyone else who shares knowledge and information, I won't begin to name names because I will surely overlook names, so thank you all, you are appreciated.
  • Yes, thanks to YBB and all of you who make this place what it is. Happy Thanksgiving!
  • edited November 2022
    Agree too. Thank you for everyone on this board who have made this special place.
  • Yes, a fine group of folks here; who help, share, ask questions and provide answers that makes all of us better. This, of course; includes Mr. Snowball and behind the scenes staff, as well as those who provide the monthly commentaries, and Charles for his selfless efforts with the data and those who continue to provide monetary support..

I will place this short write that may or may not be attributed (disputed) to Kurt Vonnegut, but good for life in general, and investing for this forum; keep learning and be happy. All of your skills and experiences may be applied to investing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kurt Vonnegut wrote: "When I was 15, I spent a month working on an archaeological dig. I was talking to one of the archaeologists one day during our lunch break and he asked those kinds of “getting to know you” questions you ask young people: Do you play sports? What’s your favorite subject? And I told him, no I don’t play any sports. I do theater, I’m in choir, I play the violin and piano, I used to take art classes.

And he went WOW. That’s amazing! And I said, “Oh no, but I’m not any good at ANY of them.”

And he said something then that I will never forget and which absolutely blew my mind because no one had ever said anything like it to me before: “I don’t think being good at things is the point of doing them. I think you’ve got all these wonderful experiences with different skills, and that all teaches you things and makes you an interesting person, no matter how well you do them.”

And that honestly changed my life. Because I went from a failure, someone who hadn’t been talented enough at anything to excel, to someone who did things because I enjoyed them. I had been raised in such an achievement-oriented environment, so inundated with the myth of Talent, that I thought it was only worth doing things if you could “Win” at them."

===

POINT: Lots of things are worth doing because they bring you joy, and for no other reason. Do them, enjoy them, be fulfilled. Do things that make you happy!
  • Thanks!

The 2+ years that I have been at the MFO have also coincided with the time for my switch from a dedicated single-site poster to a multi-site poster. Now MFO (really a funds+ site) is among the sites that I visit more often. I found several old friends here (from elsewhere) as well as many new friends.

My thanks also to many posters who contribute to the success of MFO. My special thanks to @David_Snowball who has been welcoming and supportive from the beginning.
  • @yogibearbull,

Thank you for your many meaningful contributions on the MFO site.
    The breadth of your investing knowledge is amazing!
    I appreciate your willingness to share this knowledge with MFO participants.
  • Thank you everyone

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!
  • Let us not forget all of the other monthly contributors. a wealth of insight, shared with us all.
  • edited November 2022
    Yes, thanks to Yogi and everybody for making this such a great place to hang out and exchange thoughts and ideas, facts and articles, and even a few laughs.
  • Thanks YBB and everyone else here who shares so willingly. Best to all!
    Rick
  • I concur. A question for Yogi - why do you not post your Barron’s summary here?
  • Rbrt said:

I concur. A question for Yogi - why do you not post your Barron’s summary here?

I post several series here, including Barron's Funds Quarterly (the earliest of my series here). But so far I have not posted weekly Barron's summaries here. I have posted stuff from there that has been related to mutual funds (so-so reception here) and taxes.

If there is interest in postings of weekly Barron's summaries, and @David_Snowball also agrees, I can do that. I think that most people know where to find them.

• edited November 2022
    Thanks @yogibearbull for all your posts and for your exhaustively researched answers to all the questions you receive.
  • Agree with everyone. Yogi is the go-to guy for information on pretty much anything finance related, and it's great to see him here.