Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mid & Small

Hi guys,

Not sure where to post this, so.....will go here. Am looking for a small value or mid-value fund to buy later (say, next year) or on a pullback. Some that I have looked at are small: GTCSX, FCPVX, FISVX. In the mids: MDRFX, FMEIX. Would like your thoughts on them or other picks you have. Also any Middle East funds or India that you like.

God bless
the Pudd

Comments

• edited December 2022
    Hi sir hope you are good

we use indexes mostly
    #Inda
    #EWZ brazil #fxi China large caps
    We have holdings in EEM EWZ FXI VWO

Lots mfa folks loved TRAMZ many yrs ago

• Hi johnN,

Good to hear from you. Hope all is well with you and yours. I am very interested FXI. How long have you owned it, if you do. And what are your views on it? Seems pricey right now, no? But I do like it.

God bless
    the Pudd
  • edited December 2022
    Hi sir been trading FXI since 2017in and out positions and sold most of it in June 2022 (buy high sell low lol). Have added back more last 4 5 wks. I Think it's like sp500 for China and maybe very good imho hold long terms. Ever since Xi decided to open more and restrict less covid its been uptrend, I think it may go up another 8-15% by next 12 months but lots speculation, definitely a long term hold for us. Friend say China and India Vietnam could be very good long terms

We also have YINN 3x China bull etf but very agressive, we been selling weekly puts w $yinn just get premium and very volatile with high daily trades volumes.

• edited December 2022
    Puddnhead said:

Hi guys,

Middle East funds or India that you like.
    God bless
    the Pudd

Hello, Pudd.
    I've been tracking QAT, with the World Cup in mind, but development there is a long-term good bet, I think. So far, it's not fallen far enough for me to decide to begin a starter position. At the moment, it's just about at break-even for '22. For the 1-year time period, it's exactly FLAT. Of course, there are dividends.

The RSI is at 33, pretty much oversold, at least technically. 12-month yield of 3.96%. Upside capture looks weak, actually: 59.

There's no perfect world. But I am very much aware of the use of foreign workers under contract. Many countries do that. My wife worked Singapore and Taiwan on that basis, before I knew her. A cousin is under the same arrangement right now in Croatia. Those employees are virtually indentured servants. It's legalized slavery. But they take the job because in their fecal home country, prospects are even worse. Qatar's build-out for the World Cup includes a great many such workers. Another reason I've held back.

Here's another: UAE.
    https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/xnas/uae/quote
    https://www.profitspi.com/stock/view.aspx?v=stock-chart&uv=100563&p=UAE

This website shows QAT with a 7.7% yield. Stale? Or more up to date than Morningstar?
    https://www.stockrover.com/research/insight/analysts/quotes/QAT

UAE:
    https://www.stockrover.com/research/insight/summary/quotes/UAE
    EDIT:
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/12/12/four-people-charged-in-eu-parliament-corruption-investigation
  • I think @Puddnhead asked about small-mid value funds. For OEF, BRSVX. For ETF, SMOT. The latter is brand new, a more mid than small portfolio of about 100 stocks meeting M*'s moat methodology. AVUV has an interesting approach to small value, resulting in an index-like huge portfolio.
  • edited December 2022
    M* dynamic definition of "small" often doesn't match the market-cap based static definitions used by most funds. M* categories include US "Small" (bottom 10% by market-cap) value, blend, growth; foreign "Small/Mid" (bottom 30%*) and global "Small/Mid" (% unspecified). Quote below is for the US Small Value.

*BTW, US "Small" is bottom 10%, US "Mid" is middle 20%, so foreign "Small/Mid" as bottom 30% makes sense.

Small Value
    Small-value portfolios invest in small U.S. companies with valuations and growth rates below other small-cap peers. Stocks in the bottom 10% of the capitalization of the U.S. equity market are defined as small cap. Value is defined based on low valuations (low price ratios and high dividend yields) and slow growth (low growth rates for earnings, sales, book value, and cash flow).
  • edited December 2022
    @Crash In many ways Qatar is worse than China in how it treats labor: https://hrw.org/news/2022/11/17/fifa/qatar-migrant-workers-call-compensation-abuses I think investors should probably boycott the country for this reason. But another consideration is that historically countries that spend heavily to build stadiums for games such as the Olympics have not faired well economically afterwards. They overspend on stadiums that are empty after the games are over.

I can understand 1 or 2 football stadiums in a country the size of Qatar, which has a population of 2.9 million. But 8 football stadiums? That seems like a foolish investment, especially in a country where temperatures routinely get over 100 degrees.
  • Exactly, LB.
  • Hi Crash,
    Good to hear from you. Hope Hawaii is still good to you. QAT is a bit much. I had to look where Qatar was even though I knew it was in the Middle East. So, I'll pass, but thanks for the kickback.

BenWP,
    BRSVX is a no go at Fido, but it does look like a good fund. SMOT I like.....lots of mid cap in it---73%. The lead sectors are industrials (good), but consumer discretionary (18%), tech (18%) and finance (14%). It's something I would only buy in a recession due to its makeup....but I like it. I do like AVUV. Its small companies and micro.... will keep on my list for after a recession. Then, this should pop. Thank you for the info.

God bless
    the Pudd
  • edited December 2022
    Another SV fund to consider is a relatively conservative approach QRSVX. Holds up well in down turns but won't blow the doors off if stocks decide to go full-bull again. 5* fund, mainly small and midcap, but holds about 14% large also and about the same in treasuries. Maybe you can call it multi-cap. The only domestic small cap I own... FWIW.
  • Take a look at DFAT - US Targeted Value. From quality managers Dimensional Fund Advisers.
  • Hi MikeM,
    Hope those Bills are doing well for you. QRSVX I see is big in tech...almost 25%. Is that good? What I do like is the 10% cash. Like that a lot right now. Also a very small fund that is good on the way up. I think the selling is done. Will watch it. Will put it on the watch list.

Hi Mitchelg,
    DFAT many holding that's good. Financials and banks.....think recession....then it looks good to me. This is something I would buy out of a slow down. I like this also, but a bit pricey right now.
    Another question I have is--since everyone is leaving China, where will they go? Or should I say--where will they have the most impact on GDP or where will the money be made? My guess is India or Vietnam. What are yours? Since it means big money in the future...... As you see now, it's hard to leave China. It will be moreso in the future to leave elsewhere.
    So, do you dominate or are you good at playing Billy Ball.....think Yankees!

God bless
    the Pudd
  • edited December 2022
    Hi Pudd. I stop by and read the board from time to time and noticed your post. FWIW. I currently have a good third of my equity allocation invested in the smids with about a third of that being in foreign. Wishing you the best in the coming year. Skeet
  • There's a VA clone of DFAT that oddly has performed about 2% better YTD (-5.24% vs. -7.26%), 3⅔% better (annualized) over three years (11.73% vs 9.08%), 1⅔% better over five years (7.59% vs 5.90%), and 3/4% better over ten years (11.26% vs. 10.44%). Same underlying ER, same managers. (The ETF was originally an OEF which explains how it has a long term record.)

You can coax some of this info out of M* by using instant X-ray and the "ticker" FVUSA001OG.

VA: https://www.dimensional.com/us-en/funds/233203710/va-us-targeted-value-portfolio
    ETF: https://www.dimensional.com/us-en/funds/dfat/us-targeted-value-etf

Obviously a VA will have added wrapper fees. So this isn't a suggestion to go out and buy a VA to get the VA clone. But if you do own a VA and this portfolio is available, it is worth a look.
  • I like AVUV, interested if there is a Small Growth recommendation to research...