Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Judy Woodruff: final show on PBS Newshour. A Milestone.

Helluva long and distinguished career.

Comments

• edited December 2022
    I’ll miss her. Airs too early here. But often watch the show later in the evening from the archived shows on PBS. None better IMHO. Class act right up until her retirement!
  • edited December 2022
    Judy Woodruff has had a long and distinguished career.
    She moderated presidential debates and interviewed several heads of state.
    In 2013, she became a PBS Newshour co-anchor with Gwen Ifill.
    After Gwen Ifill passed away in 2016, Judy Woodruff became the sole anchor.
    She will now devote her efforts to a new reporting project in 2023 and 2024:
    "Judy Woodruff Presents: America at a Crossroads".
    I'm very intrigued by this project and am confident her reporting will be excellent.
  • Totally concur on Judy Woodruff !

Learned recently about her disabled son who changed her view on healthcare.
    https://nihrecord.nih.gov/2017/10/20/woodruff-shares-personal-story-caregiver-son
  • edited December 2022
    The rest of us will never understand how much love and effort it takes. Reminds me of George Will, too.
  • It's going to take some doing to get used to Judy Woodruff not being there. She was kind of a rock of reality in my universe. I depended on her to help sort through the craziness.

There are surely some good people still there, but it won't be quite the same. Gwen Ifill, Mark Shields... I sure still miss them also.
  • edited December 2022
    That is one of the reason that I donate to PBS every year. Before Judy Woodruff, there was Jim Lehrer (passed in 2020) and Robert MacNeil, they were wonderful. The high quality interviews are something journalists today don’t do anymore. I am confident PBS will find good replacement to Judy Woodruff.
  • Based on the evening news program and especially the quality of the NewsHour coverage of the recent midterm election, I think that Amna Nawaz, Stephanie Sy, and Lisa Desjardins will do a very good job between them. I'm especially hopeful that Amna Nawaz will grow into the job as Judy Woodruff transformed it. Judy Woodruff was indeed a worthy successor to Jim Lehrer and Robert MacNeil.
  • I like everything you just said, @Old_Joe.
  • I, too; salute the News Hour in the beginning and now, today.
    But, I move my head; side to side realizing where has the time gone.
  • edited December 2022
    Google: "TV newscaster Judy Woodruff got her first taste of the limelight when at age 17 she won a hometown beauty pageant and was crowned Young Miss Augusta 1963. After high school, Woodruff headed off to Duke University, where she earned a degree in political science."

Wow.One of the rare birds who was actually able to use her Major after graduation. Remember all those years on CNN with that political campaign show, every day? I did always think that such a thing was only feeding into the ridiculousness of a TWO YEAR campaign, when Reps. get elected for only 2 years, anyhow, and even Senators for 6 years, and the Prez for 4 years. A two-year campaign is just silly.

1963: She won the Young Miss Augusta beauty pageant. Not surprised.
  • Amna Nawaz and Geoff Bennett (lately of the weekend edition) are the new co-anchors. IMHO, they'll do a great job.
  • edited January 2023
    Good news!
  • AndyJ said:

Amna Nawaz and Geoff Bennett (lately of the weekend edition) are the new co-anchors. IMHO, they'll do a great job.

Although I'll miss Judy Woodruff, I concur with your assessment.

• Yes, likewise. @AndyJ- thanks for that link. Very good background information.
  • Just caught the first broadcast with Geoff Bennett and Amna Nawaz. Very smooth... they're going to do just fine.
  • same here. i watched.
  • Old_Joe said:

Just caught the first broadcast with Geoff Bennett and Amna Nawaz. Very smooth... they're going to do just fine.

Yep!