Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

2023 Investment Plans

edited January 2023 in Other Investing
What changes (if any) do you plan on making to your portfolio in 2023?
Why are you making (or not making) a change in 2023?

I'll start...

Overall, I'm relatively pleased with my current portfolio positioning.
My stable value fund was exchanged for DOXIX on 12/30/2022 since bond yields have increased significantly.
Dollar-cost averaging into my 401(k) and HSA accounts will continue for MIEIX "clone" and PRILX respectively.
I plan to purchase additional shares of VPCCX and VPMCX (up to annual purchase limits) later in the year.
Some of the cash remaining in money market funds/T-Bills will be redeployed.
There are no concrete plans for this cash but I'm considering TIPS, munis, and small-cap/mid-cap foreign equity.
My portfolio doesn't have any dedicated exposure to these three investment categories.

Comments

• edited January 2023
    About as extended now as care to go. The % held in the ”fixed-income” segment serves as a “gauge” of how much risk I’m undertaking. 22.5% of portfolio would be neutral. Today I took it down to around 19.4% in picking up 100 shares of one of Cathie’s badly devastated holdings. (No longer identify specific stocks, but folks can probably guess.)

Otherwise, stay the course. Defer taking distributions long as possible this year. I do think Price’s TCHP (ETF version) or TRBCX (mutual fund version) look like very good long term holds after falling 35% or more in 2022. On the radar, but it would take a much lower NASDAQ before I’d commit any funds to one of them.

Non-topical perhaps … Also planning to take in some Broadway shows and spend time on the beaches at Hilton Head in coming months. You know what they say about “All work and no play …” :)
  • I'm married. So, I never know what the Big Picture actually looks like. It morphs and changes, with items added to it, always along the way. Rather than panic and try to respond with a huge, total makeover, I adjust.

In order to cover the spouse-person's most recently communicated priority, I'll be starting a TIPS account, while their landscape looks quite positive. Looks like that $$$ will get slud into SCHP.

Dizzy Dean: "He shoulda slud into 3rd, but he didn't, and he was out by a heifer's step."
    Otherwise, I'll keep things rather the same. I'll add to equities if/when things go south. Our investing time-horizon is lengthy. If one or two single-stocks on my watchlist falls far enough to look attractive, I'll start a position there. (FNLC. CMTV. TGH. BBVA. WFG. SCHN.) But growing the TIPS will be at the top of the list, until that puppy rolls over. We do not need to obtain that newest priority-item for several years, at least--- the item that the TIPS account is intended to address. I don't want to be so spread out that I'm actually "de-worse-ifying."

PRISX will be held at a greatly-reduced level. (DAWG!)
    PRNEX will remain in the portfolio.
    Here's hoping PRFDX will do as well for me in '23 as it did in '22.
    PRWCX and PRCPX and TUHYX round out the mutual fund section of the portfolio.

Today is the first trading day of 2023. My holdings which bucked the fall in the Indices are the ones I own the least of: PSTL. JRSH. The others, I still think, are worth keeping: BHB. NHYDY. ET.
  • @hank typo above. Correct = TCHP
  • Hi @hank
    You noted:
    picking up 100 shares of one of Cathie’s badly devastated holdings. (No longer identify specific stocks, but folks can probably guess.)
    ARKK....yes? What is the 'no longer identify specific stocks' part mean? Referencing to what is held inside the etf?
    Thanks,
    Catch
  • It appears that the pundits are united in proclaiming that 2023 is the year that bonds make a comeback. We shall see when that tide begins to turn. The only bond fund I've held throughout 2022 was PCI/PDI...underwater but still spewing notable cash into the IRA. I did pick up a floater in December, anticipating an upturn along with the notable distribution. I've yet to be convinced where a bond fund would outperform a MM fund or a 2 year laddered CD or Treasury which I could build at Schwab. A few preferred CEFs are looking very good though late 1Q.

In retrospect, I had a reasonable 2022 considering a 96% equity position, with a -9.1% effort. The stocks did well, with the CEFs/ETFs less so other than kicking off a solid dividend stream. My 6 chosen OEFs are certainly hoping for a better year. I'm looking for a recovery over the next 12 months, but I'm doing very little different..adding to a few items which contribute to the dividend production, but nothing significant in terms of shifting the portfolio.
  • edited January 2023
    No changes this yr
    Keep buying sp500 mid caps qqq small caps and 2055tdf/ 57k sep-ira contributions... ..extra cash go into Corp bonds
  • edited January 2023
    catch22 said:

Hi @hank / What is the 'no longer identify specific stocks' part mean? Referencing to what is held inside the etf?

Hi @catch22 - Several months ago I decided (and noted here) that I would no longer identify specific stocks I own. I’ve adhered to that policy for a long time now. As this is primarily a fund board I’m always happy and willing to disclose / discuss any and all ETFs, CEFs or mutual funds I may own. Hope that answers your question.

As noted earlier, the stock picked up today is one that Cathie Wood holds in her (ARKK) fund. That fund fell 68% in 2022, so that ought to provide a glimpse into the highly speculative nature of what I bought.

Wood’s holdings have been pretty much beaten-up across the board. So, it might be productive for others to pick through them and see if there’s anything in there they know something about and might be interested in owning. Also, I wouldn’t be averse to owning a bit of ARKK (but don’t currently).

(Thanks for catching the typo @Crash & @catch22 - which I’ve corrected.)
    Actually, thanks even more guys for reading what I wrote. :)
  • @hank
    Okay. Thanks. I thought you were referencing the holdings within ARKK as a total. I understand about keeping choices private.
  • Started adding to our Roth IRAs today, of course into TRAIX/PRWCX.

Cash from my wife's inheritance is sitting in a MMF, no hurry to put to work with interest at a bit over 4% currently.

Trying to decide if we will keep TRP Floating Rate Fund PRFRX as I've noticed outflows in a number of FR/BL funds since mid-year or so. Smart money getting out early in advance of a possible recession which these types of funds don't like. Hard to walk away from 7.46% interest, but downside can be much higher. Hmmmm?
  • edited January 2023
    Roy said:

Started adding to our Roth IRAs today, of course into TRAIX/PRWCX.

Cash from my wife's inheritance is sitting in a MMF, no hurry to put to work with interest at a bit over 4% currently.

Trying to decide if we will keep TRP Floating Rate Fund PRFRX as I've noticed outflows in a number of FR/BL funds since mid-year or so. Smart money getting out early in advance of a possible recession which these types of funds don't like. Hard to walk away from 7.46% interest, but downside can be much higher. Hmmmm?

@yogibearbull has noted that when rates start falling, FR/BL funds will behave like short-term HY. ....But Okada is expecting "higher for longer," which the Market doesn't want to digest, currently.
  • I think 2023 will be very trying and full of ups and mostly downs, due to persistent inflation.

Consequently, I am not increasing equity exposure, except maybe to Deep Value funds like PVCMX where I can count on the manger not being fully invested.

There is a lot of talk about the "undoing of globalization" and "multiple wars"

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/high-inflation-long-term-problem-owing-to-real-and-metaphorical-wars-by-nouriel-roubini-2022-12?barrier=accesspaylog

( I know Roubini is a perma Bear and disaster maven, but worth listening to)

which coupled with high interest rates will continue to pressure the winners of the last decade, ie Large Cap Tech. At the same time it is likely that there will be continuing event driven increases in prices of commodities like foodstuffs and energy, as instability prevents them from being easily moved to consumers, regardless of demand.

An 11% allocation to Energy saved my bacon last year and we are basically flat for the year. I don't see any reason to dramatically decrease energy.

As an early retiree, I am much more content to miss a big upside, than to get caught in a dramatic continuing bear market, so my equity exposure is probably lower than most here, with over 60% of our portfolio in Treasuries, CDs and Munis and 5% Gold.

Working now to figure out best and easiest way to add TIPS. Will probably start with SCHP or TIP and buy some bonds at the next auction, along with my allocation of I Bonds.

If there is a big correction will DCA back into equities, mainly US.
  • At present I am standing pat (subject to change at a moments notice). Since I cannot see clearly where the market might be headed (honestly I don't have a clue) if I make any additions at all they will be to SCHD or DIVO or by simple reinvestment of dividends.
  • Mark said:

At present I am standing pat (subject to change at a moments notice). Since I cannot see clearly where the market might be headed (honestly I don't have a clue) if I make any additions at all they will be to SCHD or DIVO or by simple reinvestment of dividends.

Both with solid returns in 2022. I think that perhaps they’re overlooked given their status as ETFs, though both are indeed “Great Owls” in the listed Equity Income category.
  • edited January 2023
    After reading @Devo in this month's commentary, SCHP TIPS looks like a decent bet. It's a mixed-bag of maturities. I'd prefer longer-dated stuff. Devesh Shah is recommending another: LTPZ, a PIMCO animal.

I'd be glad if someone could break-down the practical implications for TIPS if "higher for longer" with interest rates is going to transpire. Thank you.
  • Schp and TIP are just fine. Safer than Ltpz.
  • SCHP and TIP are twins for performance going back to January, 2013, including more recent time frames; 2 years,1 year, 6 months, 3 months and YTD. For LTPZ, one needs to monitor daily and it is best if one is a recent past or current champion in the bull riding section of World Rodeo. @Crash, have you looked at any of the BOND thread performance for various bond sectors?
  • edited January 2023
    thanks, guys.
    @catch22.
    From Schwab, 06 Dec, '22 re: FI in '23:
    "We are cautious about taking too much credit risk in the face of slowing economic growth or recession. Current yields on riskier bonds, such as high-yield bonds, don't provide extra compensation for the extra risk, in our view. That may change as the year progresses, but for now we are neutral."

They are recommending high quality stuff with middle durations.
    Charts make my head hurt. Anyway, I'll not add to my junk stuff, but continue to reinvest divs. it's a long-term play for me. Adding the TIPS in my brokerage account will serve to reduce risk at least somewhat.
    https://www.schwab.com/learn/story/fixed-income-outlook
  • Is facing The Netherlands, burning incense and chanting "Go ASML! Go ASML! Go ASML!" considered a "plan"?
  • edited January 2023
    Pretty similar portfolio & outlook to what @sma3 described; six years into retirement here with enough to last as long as I don't sustain significant losses. I'm slowly increasing three bond oef positions, expecting at best to get the yields as total returns ... and that would be just fine.

A next level of optimism would prob'ly lead to positions in allocation funds like CTFAX and/or WBALX, a conservative equity fund like PVCMX, and possibly an alt fund (long-short equity?) at least somewhat in synch with whatever the situation turns into.

About middle of the year, roughly half my T bills will have matured and I'll need to have a new allocation plan in place. Not particularly optimistic that there will be safe yields then as high as they are now, and I bought a slug of them in November and December, so won't likely be adding significantly more now.

Good luck out there. AJ
  • edited January 2023
    Old_Joe said:

Is facing The Netherlands, burning incense and chanting "Go ASML! Go ASML! Go ASML!" considered a "plan"?

Ha! I've had worse plans. Might depend on your choice of incense; could consult an oracle, maybe not the one in Omaha.
  • Thanks to OJ, I bought a small amount of ASML, but now wonder if it has gone too far too fast. The money pouring into new fabs will flood the chip market. I assume the fab companies have already put their ASML orders in and they are reflected in stock price, if not bottom line yet.

Being retired gives me lots of time to mull these things over. Especially since the fish have all gone south.
  • Looking for opportunities to sell, and consolidate to more conservative positions in the IRA.

Looking for opportunities to buy in the taxable accounts where we still have large cash positions.

Hope to leave the taxable accounts to the kids. What we have in taxable was largely left to us. We do realize some income. But we haven't had to touch the principal.

Haven't had to touch the principle in the IRA's either. I will be taking some cap gains from mine.
  • edited January 2023
    sma3 7:18AM
    "Thanks to OJ, I bought a small amount of ASML"

I deny everything. I have no recollection of even being there. Someone else hacked my name. The Secret Service erased all my emails. I had been drinking and didn't realize what I was doing. Also, I take the fifth.
  • jump to 4:30.
  • @Old_Joe : ""Thanks to OJ, I bought a small amount of ASML"

I deny everything. I have no recollection of even being there. Someone else hacked my name. The Secret Service erased all my emails. I had been drinking and didn't realize what I was doing. Also, I take the fifth"

Did you mean to say, I drank a fifth ?

Have a good week, Derf
  • @Derf - I was thinking at least that much but probably more.
  • @crash

My fav is Lagavulin, but I will choke down McCallan if I have to.

Unfortunately, since Covid I have had to, as I can't find Lagavulin 16 anywhere
  • edited January 2023
    My taste buds are very blue collar, so I'll take a good beer over any of that hard stuff. Add a dozen Buffalo style wings with blue cheese on the side and I'm in heaven.

But back to the topic. No drastic changes for me. I'll sit at about 45-50% equity. I did start adding to my gold ETF, IAU and I've been giving a lot of thought to taking a position in PRPFX. Haven't owned it since 2010ish. (@hank, do you still own that one?)

Also started buying some of the best companies in the world, Microsoft, Amazon and Google. Not huge amounts. They may go lower in the short term, but they haven't been valued at this price in a bit.
  • edited January 2023
    I am making few tweaks here in 2023:
    1. Reduce cash to increase intermediate-term investment grade bond exposure.
    2. Maintain decent exposure to energy and commodity futures and pay attention to China reopening and industrial output (they are #1 in oil consumption)
    3. Increase developed market exposure and watch for US dollar index movement (for on-USD hedged funds)
    4. Add more value, utilities, consumer staples and health care funds/ETFs as defensive positions in case of recession
    5. Sell off treasury bills and CDs as they matures
    6. Be patient with alternatives funds.

This defensive portfolio may likely to lag if the market move strongly upward. But it will survive if we have another drawdown as in 2022.