Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• They finally increased the fixed rate, from 0 to 0.4%
  • edited November 2022
    That fixed/base rate is low at 0.40%, IMO. The 5-yr TIPS/real rate is 1.60%. The 5-yr TIPS looking a better deal (next auction 12/22/22; buy anytime in the secondary market).
  • For previously bought I-Bonds, the new rates will be,
  • Does this mean that only those who purchase after Oct 31, 2022 get the benefit of the 41 bp fixed rate addition? The rest of us get only 6.48%.
  • JD_co said:

Does this mean that only those who purchase after Oct 31, 2022 get the benefit of the 41 bp fixed rate addition? The rest of us get only 6.48%.

Yep! The fixed rate at purchase remains forever (well, 30 years).
  • Not trying to change the topic. Treasury department sold $980 millions I bond before Oct 28th deadline. Imagine if there is NO investment limit and you can do transaction on your favorite brokerages.
  • edited November 2022
    It's certainly a good short-term investment, but a lot depends on whether or not we enter a recession to make it a good long-term one. If the CPI goes down instead of up, it's dead money paying nothing. But in the short-term, it's hard not to like 6.5% with no downside risk for those who bought before October 28.
  • Alert on #IBonds, 1/12/23
    While the current 6.89% rate will apply to I-Bond purchases until 4/28/23 (rate valid for 6 months from the purchase date), the preliminary projections for the next rate on 5/1/13 are for only 0-1%. About the half of the #CPI data needed for 5/1/23 rate is in, and inflation is trending down. I-Bonds that are 12+ months old after 5/1/23 may be sold with 3-mo interest penalty.
    https://ybbpersonalfinance.proboards.com/thread/209/savings-bonds-6-months-nov?page=4&scrollTo=897
  • The minimum holding period is one year. No one really know if inflation get down to 2% in the next 12 months, but it is unlikely going from November’s 7.1%. After 12 months one can sell I bonds and lose the last 3 months of interest. Personally I can live with that small penalty. The other play on CPI is to buy TIPS at auction and @yogibearbull has covered this topic.
  • The 3 month penalty (after holding for 1 year) and limited investment caps are a killer. Sure, it was "fun" getting 9.62% for 6 months, then "ok" getting 6.48% for another 6 months.... but then it's time to look at an exit strategy.

Having to eat 3 months interest upon withdrawal is clearly meant to keep short-timers (like me) away. This investment probably wasn't worth the bother.
  • If the rate is high for twelve months (you're getting a blended 12 month rate of around 8.4%), then the penalty is almost meaningless. Hold the savings bond for 15 months and you get that 8.4% for 15 months instead of 12, which is still around 6.7% annualized.

That penalty wasn't a deterrent with rates so high. It's likely to be one going forward as
    rates for upcoming 6 month periods drop back down to "normal".
  • If the rates become very low, then the penalty will be much easier to accept. for example if the rate were 2%, the 3 month interest penalty on your $10,000 I-Bond would be $50.
  • 8.4% interest is very respectable. Thus we will go for it this year. Don’t think we get back to 2% inflation in 2023.
  • @sven, I-Bond rate on 5/1/23 will be determined by the CPI index change from 09/2022-03/2023. The 3 month change from Sep-Dec so far is near 0% and changes over the next 3 months aren't expected to add much. What you see reported are CPI yoy change and that was +6.5% in Dec, but that isn't how the I-Bond rate is determined. That is what my alert is about - you could very well have +4% to +5% reported CPI (yoy change) around May 2023, but still have 0-1% rate for I-Bonds. You will then read media articles explaining why that is.
  • edited January 2023
    According to Tipswatch, non-seasonal inflation usually picks up from January to March.
    Consequently, the May 1 variable rate for I Bonds might not be heading to 0.0%.
    We'll see what happens...
    Link
  • Sven said:

8.4% interest is very respectable. Thus we will go for it this year. Don’t think we get back to 2% inflation in 2023.

already are, almost; go study the econ threads listed within the inflation thread here