Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

HSAFX vs HSGFX

It seems like Hussman got the formula right with HSAFX after years of HSGFX losing money in the post-2008 bull market. Unlike HSGFX, HSAFX has managed to produce small gains even during strong rallies, but it still has virtually no assets. I imagine there’s a legitimate trust question here.

Comments

• One factor is whether brokerages are carrying HSAFX. Don't know about all of them, but Fidelity continues to refuse to make it available. I've put in a request for it three times now, and the answer continues to be no.
  • Interesting. I didn’t know of its limited availability.
  • HSAFX is available with a transaction fee at Schwab and Vanguard-not available at E-Trade.
  • Yea I saw that but it is odd that a guy is writes so eloquently about how overpriced the market is, especially large caps, would buy Google and Amazon and Qualcom.

I did a little digging to find out how he runs the fund but haven't dug into the prospectus yet
  • carew388 said:

HSAFX is available with a transaction fee at Schwab and Vanguard-not available at E-Trade.

Unavailable also at Merrill Edge. But it is available at Firstrade (all funds NTF). At least it shows up at Firstrade if one logs into an account ($500 min); it isn't on Firstrade's public list of funds.