Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bed, Bath & Beyond Default

Sign of the times in retail. Stuff will probably be cheap at the stores closing as they clear out the inventory, but you won't be able to return it, and warrranties? Probably done:https://cnn.com/2023/02/01/business/bed-bath-beyond-closures-list/index.html

Comments

• One of the Macy's stores here on Oahu, too. Clearance, all sales final.
  • edited February 2023
    They had some pretty decent stores in northern Michigan. Used to visit / shop in them occasionally. But, how does one compete with the likes of Amazon? (on small appliances especially.) And with inflation, it’s likely now that more low-income folks are turning to the Dollar stores.

Good article in the WSJ few days ago. Focused on the two gentlemen co-founders who are retired, 80+, and living in Florida. Apparently the franchise slipped from profit to loss very quickly - within 2 or 3 years. One wonders if “activist” investors may have been involved - just a guess.
  • edited February 2023

Sign of the times in retail. Stuff will probably be cheap at the stores closing as they clear out the inventory, but you won't be able to return it, and warrranties? Probably done:https://cnn.com/2023/02/01/business/bed-bath-beyond-closures-list/index.html

The BBB closest to me has been closing for the past couple months. Last time I was there they were advertising 20-50% off but most of what was left was only 20% off so no better than a BBB coupon (and I was getting emails offering 25% off entire purchases at all their stores not just the one closing). They recently bumped the advertised percent off to 30-70%. The sale wasn’t being run by a liquidator so I was actually able to return something. Items with warranties should be OK since they’re from the manufacturer, except for their private label goods which I wouldn’t recommend.

It’s a little sad as I remember going to the mothership in NJ (back when it was merely BB) as a kid.
  • Every time I have been in one, they are kinda chaotic. Stuff everywhere, too many brands and choices. Staff helpful but not enough

Why on earth is anyone buying this stock? Hoping to sell to the greater fool before the bankruptcy announcement?
  • Last time I was there they were advertising 20-50% off but most of what was left was only 20% off so no better than a BBB coupon (and I was getting emails offering 25% off entire purchases at all their stores not just the one closing).

As with JCP, buyers have gotten used to the idea that at BBB everything comes with a coupon.
    In 2012, Ron Johnson, ... the new JCPenney CEO, unveiled a sweeping overhaul of the chain. Central to the strategy was a plan to end coupons and discounts and replace them with low “everyday” prices. ...

The plan backfired.

Sales tanked nearly 25% in a year and the company’s stock plunged. Johnson lost his job after just 17 months and Penney quickly brought back coupons. “We did not realize how deep some of the customers were into [coupons],” an executive said at the time.
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/05/business/coupons-history-jcpenney-macys-procter-and-gamble/index.html

We would go the extra step. We used Discover Card rebates to purchase BBB gift cards at a 20% discount. So the 20% off coupon would take a $6.25 item down to $5, which we could purchase with a gift card costing us $4.

It looks like you can't redeem cash back value for BBB gift cards any more.

Every time I have been in one, they are kinda chaotic. Stuff everywhere, too many brands and choices.

The stores we've gone into, which are newer ones, have been well organized. It varies from store to store.

With respect to having too many choices, keep that comment (which has merit) in mind when people complain about 401k's not offering brokerage windows or 100+ different fund choices.

Sometimes BBB sells models of products that are unique to BBB, adding another feature for the same price. You have to be familiar with a brand's product line to identify those products.