Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

MS Mike Wilson Flipping

Morgan Stanley's (MS) strategist Mike Wilson has been among the most bearish strategists. It is a tough life for bearish strategists on the Wall Street. Firms' sales teams can't make much money if their strategists are downright bearish. So, eventually, such analysts are either proven right, or are fired.

This is why MS Mike Wilson has been in the news so much.

But now he is flipping! He is still bearish but says that this rally has room to run, and then collapse.

Twitter LINK cites Bloomberg but that is behind paywall.

Comments

• edited March 2023
    ”says that this rally has room to run, and then collapse.”

That’s encouraging.:)

In other words … “keep your shorts on.”
  • edited March 2023
    He sees next resistance at 4150, about 2.5% higher than Friday's close.

“We believe it does not refute the very poor risk reward currently offered by many stocks given valuations and earnings forecasts that remain way too high, in our view.”

• Wilson noted the gap between reported earnings and cash flow is the widest in 25 years, driven by excess inventory and capitalized costs that have yet to be reflected.
  • edited March 2023
    Magic Investing Eight-Ball says ....

... "Outlook Uncertain."

OK, that's actual advice I can rely on!
  • edited March 2023
    ”Magic Investing Eight-Ball says ....”

Nice. :) ….. Wilson was featured during the pre-market hours on Bloomberg TV today.

• It’s really hard to listen to these guys when they jump around like this. So we should jump into the SPY for a 2.5% rally?? It’s kind of a silly call.
  • Ha Ha, sell SNOW. Yes, that was one of my very poor buy decisions last year. Thought I was close to even recently, until last weeks drop.
  • MikeW said:

It’s really hard to listen to these guys when they jump around like this. So we should jump into the SPY for a 2.5% rally?? It’s kind of a silly call.

We're down 1.6 on the SPX right now, so after this 'major crash' I'm sure the pundits are saying it's time to start buying, right? *growls*
  • edited March 2023
    Wilson’s pre-market pep talk this morning fell kind of flat …
  • edited March 2023
    Mike Wilson has a "great" record, start at the second paragraph (https://fd1000.freeforums.net/post/21)
  • Wish there was someone who never got anything wrong. Why is that so difficult?!
  • edited March 2023
    Devo said:

Wish there was someone who never got anything wrong. Why is that so difficult?!

Agree @Devo

But don’t write Wilson off yet. Wrong? Might just be early. I’ve heard this (bullish take) from enough quarters recently to give it some credence.

• Every rally is born to run then collapse. Depends only on the time frame.
  • edited March 2023
    Devo said:

Wish there was someone who never got anything wrong. Why is that so difficult?!

That's not the point. My main point is that Wilson got many things wrong. He is getting paid to make great forecasts, if he fails, he should be fired.
    The SP500 was positive by over 80% since 1980, a smart analyst should realize that and be mostly positive. Making short-term forecasts is nuts and these experts should be challenged. The ones who interview them don't do it because they know they would not have a show.

• edited March 2023
    ”He is getting paid to make great forecasts, if he fails, he should be fired.”

Hmm … Tell me who makes correct forecasts 100% of the time. If it were a “sure bet” than wouldn’t everybody buy the same investments? Then 100% of us would outperform the market 100% of the time. This does not compute.

To the original topic - There’s a sizable body of market watchers who think we will soon see a bear market rally. Put another way - The theory is that longer term this is a secular bear market. But that first there will be a significant rally. I don’t know if that will happen. But it helps explain Wilson’s prediction as nicely capsulated by @yogibearbull in the OP.
  • He is my main guy and I listen to him. Macro is a difficult job.
  • It will be interesting to see over the next days and weeks. If I understood Mike Wilson, key resistance on the S&P 500 is at 4,150 and if the bear market rally is to continue, it will need a weaker dollar and lower yield on the 10-year Treasury.
  • edited March 2023
    ”But now he is flipping! He is still bearish but says that this rally has room to run, and then collapse.”

Looks to me like it collapsed before it ran.