Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

School Board Chair Who Forced Out a Principal After Michelangelo’s David Was Shown in Class

https://slate.com/human-interest/2023/03/florida-principal-fired-michelangelo-david-statue.html

Aside from the sheer pugnaciousness of this board chair, it's interesting to see how he presumes to know more about classical art and a classical education than the teachers themselves, given his background, which is amusing, sad, interesting, and, perhaps in our climate, ultimately unsurprising:
To figure out exactly how this happened, I called Bishop, who is also, according to his biography, a consultant, a lobbyist, an “outspoken advocate for the free enterprise system."

Comments

• edited March 2023
    Many of these folks have never visit Europe. Many classical sculptures are in nude and they are considered beautiful.

I have the fortune to grow up in large cites and my parents took us to many museums. What a joy to learn!
  • The human form. But the ignorant slugs are afraid of it. Jayzuz.
  • Yes, I saw David at the Louvre. Observing history like that is such a thrill. Such small minds.
  • “Charter school” would seem to mean not s public school. So there’s a freedom to mold the curriculum to support whatever moral or religious precepts the community establishes. But the irony of it being a school devoted to teaching the classics is not lost on me. It’s complicated. You’d need to know a lot more about the particular situation, I think, to evaluate the parental concerns and administrative actions taken. How old / mature were the kids and what was the atmosphere and rapport like in that classroom prior to the showing of Michelangelo’s David? With potentially uncomfortable or controversial content a lot depends on the care with which it is presented. Sounds like something may have been seriously amiss in the whole process. But Florida? I’ll believe anything. DeSantis even dumped on Mickey Mouse for God sake.