Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Don't believe --- Bruce Fund

A new article at https://www.fa-mag.com/news/you-re-facing-a-big-tax-bill-if-you-hold-these-mutual-funds-72481.html, which claims the data is from Bloomberg and Morningstar, alleges that the Bruce fund had a 58.70% capital gains distribution in 2022 ---- in fact it was $58.70

Comments

• beebee
    edited March 2023
    From @NumbersGal linked article:
    Bruce Fund (BRUFX)
    Inception date: 3/20/1968
    Capital gain in 2022: 58.7%
    This fund invests in domestic stocks and bonds, along with zero-coupon government bonds. It currently has about $505 million in assets, and its price declined 20% last year. With a current NAV of $520, an investor with 10 shares worth would have a capital gains bill of about $3,100 to then pay taxes on.
    Per M*:

BRUFX had a loss of (8.76%) while the Category average was a loss of (14.96%).

NAV can be impacted by distributions. BRUFX distributed both LT gains and a dividend but $3100 on 10 shares? This article seems a bit off. More Like $1000 on 10 shares. Maybe the author is a ChatGPT 'bot?

Interestingly, the last time BRUFX had an NAV of $520 (aside from the COVID hiccup) was 2/4/2019. Yesterday its NAV was $520, but had you owed the fund over that time period you would have gained almost 35%. I personally own this fund in an HSA so I pay no taxes on these gains.

BRUFX, long term, has been berry berry good to me.

• Call Bruce representatives to verify the question. Distribution info should be readily available. I presume that is for 2023 tax filing?
  • I hold Bruce, too, in wife's T-IRA.
    WSJ website reports for 2022:
    Income distrib. $13.09
    CG. $58.66

Thanks for the heads-up.
    Yes, over the longer-term, Bruce has served us very well.
  • That OP article link has the same error for other funds mentioned - it mistakenly shows them as % when those are per share $amounts.
  • Yeah... "cut and paste" has gotten me into trouble before too.
  • yogibearbull is exactly right - and the 'financial' writer made the same mistake consistently. And what was the editor doing? Surely a 'distribution' of "58.7%" should have led someone do to some fact checking.
  • If The San Francisco Chronicle is typical, there are no editors anymore.
  • Old_Joe said:

If The San Francisco Chronicle is typical, there are no editors anymore.

Stinky and no good.