Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Sheesh!!! WHEN you buy, not WHAT you buy. This guy says he manages money for his clients. Does he get paid to write for Kiplinger?
  • I’ve been dollar-cost-averaging into DODGX via my employer's 401k since August 2009 and slowed down in May/June this year, and have been pleased with the results to-date (I plan to pick up again once we see the market drop a bit). I’ve been counter-balancing DODGX with another technology heavy large cap fund (JGIRX) in the same 401k, which seems to diversify the lg cap investment spread a bit more. In regards to DODGX, does anyone have concerns for the long-term performance of this fund? I’ve planning to hold and add more for the long-haul, but if there are red flags I should consider, I’d love to hear your take.
  • Just had a PTSD flashback to Ron Insana, a "journalist" who thought he could be an investment manager. FWIW, HERE is his firm's web site -- I have a feeling that mean-spirited folks might be tempted to call him "tweedledum," but of course I would refrain from doing so ... at least to his face ;-).

As for his advice presented in the linked article, I think that it is ill-informed as I suspect that he is focusing on trailing returns which were awful mainly due to 2008. Sure, all 3 funds had poor results in that year, but DODGX and LLPFFX had good performance before 2008 and have done well since, and I would have no problem owning and adding to these funds. SLASX was a killer from 1994 to 2000, but has been a laggard in all other periods that I have studied.

Kevin
  • Reply to @MoneyGrubber: Sir, don't get me started...not tonight anyway. I will post my take shortly, hopefully by weekend. Vintage and kevin will likely get a little impatient with me, but I'm actually a fan of Steve Goldberg, author of this disturbing article. Cause at the same time, I have been a long time champion of D&C, along with many, many others...but lately, I too have started to question whether D&C employs adequate risk control for, and perhaps demanded by, today's market and investors. More soon.
  • Reply to @Charles: "don't get me started ..." - I like that! (I might weigh in after you Charles ... then again, maybe not:-)
  • edited October 2012
    I'd have more respect for the writer if he'd compare apples and apples and tell ya what he's comparing. More than one reference to DODGX lagging the S&P or other U.S. indexes. Not fair! The fund has traditionally carried about 20% foreign stocks (as of 6-30-12 it stood at 18%). No doubt this has helped performance during good years and hurt during the bad. Not necessarily intended to be an endorsement of the fund but - geez - let's be fair here.

- Source of data: http://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/large-value/dodge-&-cox-stock-fund/dodgx/holdings
  • edited October 2012
    Reply to @hank: Part of my response is rooted in recent MFO thread about DODBX, which has about 75% of its portfolio is in same stocks as DODGX. But I have more thoughts, which I hope to post shortly.