Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Unable to sign in with Firefox

edited April 2011 in Technical Questions
Computer: Mac G5
Browser: Firefox 3.6.15

Unable to sign in with Firefox. In desperation tried Safari for this post, and it seems to be working fine so far. Trying to use Firefox, I wind up with the following "dead-end" message: "Captcha: Invalid code from image". Using Safari, I now have a positive indication that I have successfully signed in: the fourth word-group in the black line, above, now shows my screen name. Using Firefox, the third word-group always says "Sign In".

Hope this feedback is helpful, and that you will eventually get around to figuring out the Firefox issue. Thanks-

Old Joe

Comments

• I had no problem loging in using FF. Sometimes, you need another word to login as letters are not clear. You can request another one at that screen.
  • Hi Investor, welcome to the new site, and thanks for trying to help. When I used the Safari browser, I didn't even need to put a number in. And, there is the issue of the sign-in recognition itself. With FF, the "Sign-In" note never changes; with Safari, it changes to show Old_Joe, as it should. Over on FA I see that JR is having similar problems, and I am trying to help her as best that I can.

Talk to you later, and thanks again. OJ
  • hi OJ...do you use the latest firefox, this is what I have and no problems so far...
    I had problems w/ youtube last week but all the bugs are out after downloading the lastest firefox as well as java from sunmicrosystem
    I am not a computer genius nor want to be but these may help:)....

http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/

regards
  • Hi John- I can't use a later FF version than 3.6.15 due to issues specific to my MAC. (If anyone wants more detail, let me know.)

Thanks- OJ
  • Firefox works fine for me. I am using 4.0 on this machine and the previous version on my other machine which also works fine.
  • Hi, Old_Joe!

So far I've used Firefox and Chrome, without any issues. I've forwarded your note to Brad. Keep a good thought!

David
  • OJ, the issue I posted on FA was due to the security filters at work. I had no issues signing from home. Appreciate your kind thoughts. Best, former JR.
  • Howdy JR,

Nice to know you were able to travel to this new home; and that you are now "fundalarm".

Regards,
    catch
  • lol. wanted to keep the name alive. additionally, this site requires at least 3 digits/letters.
  • Very nice to see "fundalarm" /JR.

OK, here's the deal with FF: I had it set to reject all cookies, and it would not accept my sign-on. Now set to "always ask", and seems to work OK, so far.
  • edited November 2011
  • In case anyone else stumbles upon this thread with a similar problem, cookies are definitely required, and are not dangerous. See this post: http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss.php#/discussion/comment/202
  • Hey Brad- I have no doubt that YOUR cookies are not dangerous... it's some others that I worry about.

No prob- thanks for the confirmation.

OJ