Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

T. Rowe Price Health What are you doing since the manager change?

edited April 2013 in Fund Discussions
T. Rowe Price Health (PRHSX) over the years has had an excellent record. Recently Kris Jenner, lead manager and 2 analysts have left the fund. Morningstar has dropped its rating from Gold to neutral.
By this time in the calender year PRHSX is usually way ahead from other health funds..... But not this year.
I plan on observing for a period before changing to another health fund.

What health funds have had an outstanding comparative performance since YTD?
prinx

Comments

• As of last Friday, PRHSX is up 17.8% which is 7.4% ahead of the S&P500, so it's doing ok. I bought into PRHSX just after the start of the year, and I'm willing to let it ride awhile. There are a few other healthcare funds that are doing better ytd, but I think ytd is really too short of a period to draw long-term conclusions from. Nevertheless, if you're interested in other funds, look at PHSZX Prudential Jennison Health Sciences Z, which is up 24.2% as of last Friday.
  • Vanguard VHT has done well in past year and YTD vs PRHSX.
  • edited April 2013
    PHSZX is heavy in biotech and biotech, the hottest sector YTD, is setting up for one of its worst days of the year today because of earnings out of AMGN. So if you are inclined to buy dips here's your chance. If biotech doesn't come back this afternoon may lighten up on my RYOIX because tomorrow we have earnings from two other of the Big Four in biotech. I would rather be safe than sorry and see any more of my profits erode. I can always ramp back up if AMGN's earnings miss was an anomoly.
  • The Gold to Neutral change is of no concern to me as Morningstar explained this was due to the new manager not having a track record running a fund.

I think the relative positions of the compared funds is noise at this point. With only a little over 2 months lapsed and a 12% turnover in the fund, I would guess that not much has changed in the portfolio yet.

I only have a couple year's Roth in this fund, so it isn't a large amount. At this point I am intending on staying. I would only consider changing if I needed to adjust my overall asset allocation. TRP is getting the benefit of my doubt.