Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bill Nygren Boosts European Equity To Over 40% of Portfolio

Comments

• edited August 2013
    I think someone else opined today that Europe is "less worse" than the US or something like that. I'm invested in various Oakmark funds in my IRA. More power to him.

As an aside, I thought David Herro was International Expert, not Bill Nygren. Shouldn't article be on Herro?
  • Even I thought of; How come increase in international % in OAKWX is credited to Nygren ?
    I have not read the link but that is ridiculous.
  • After having developed celebrity phobia, I sold OAKLX and OAKMX and only trusted Herro. May he stay a non celebrity. I bought OAKWX because of Herro, not Nygren. In Washington, the feeling is Mutual. Pun intended.
  • edited August 2013
    Dear VintageFreak,

I am not sure how predictive these numbers are, but nevertheless:

$10 invested in OAKLX (Nygreen) since inception (in 1996) became $78. During the same time, $10 invested in OAKIX (Herro) became $48.

Thus I would be very cautious expressing Mutual feelings with respect to these two real masters, since you may pick up a wrong Herro. Pun intended:)
  • edited August 2013
    I do not understand your response one bit. This has nothing to do with manager performance. This has to do with who gets credit for international portion of OAKWX. Clearly that's Herro. Decisions on WHICH international companies OAKWX is invested in are made by Herro. That's the entire marketing spiel behind OAKWX. Best of Nygren's domestic ideas + best of Herro's international ones. OAKWX was actually launched when Nygren had mutually washingtoned himself.

Now while this has - again - nothing to do with performance, let's not get carried away either way. I have (tried to) made (make) the point, WHEN you buy will always be more important than WHAT you buy. You are comparing ying and yang by comparing OAKLX and OAKWX.
  • Reply to @VintageFreak: Speaking of David Herro, If you to Google and type in " Beating The Market For 20 Years' you can read a Q&A with David from today's Barron's
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Reply to @Ted: Apparently there is a similar market for Nygren over 17 years:D
  • Reply to @VintageFreak: My response was to the general tone of your statement that you sold OAKLX and OAKMX and trusted only Herro, not Nygren, perhaps because of his Washington Mutual flop. You may be absolutely right in this respect. I was just trying to say that while I understand it, the long term performance does not necessarily support this attitude.