Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Death of buy and hold

Bud
edited June 2011 in Fund Discussions
Interesting quick interview on the death of buy and hold, dated May 28th 2009 - Not a particularly bullish period (lead from Minyanville)

http://www.morningstar.com/cover/videocenter.aspx?id=296453

Comments

• Fabulous. Mr. Davis would tout B&H when it WAS working. And then he will tout it when it DOES NOT work by saying NOW going forward it WILL work.

Beautiful Marketing.
  • I heard buying when valuations are attractive per the D & C lady Well when I buy I GOTTA HOLD. That means there is little money available if any to buy when valuations are attractive because I listened to Bogle and Davis. They of course own mutual fund families. They want to collect their fees all the time. They are not what we would call independent observers. Just another example of M* sending along info like when they recommend a load fund.
  • edited June 2011
    Bogle does not own mutual fund family. He is not even CEO or employee. He is long retired from Vanguard. His wealth pales in comparison to others. He could chose to be rich just like others. You might not like what he suggests but he has been advocate of small investors. In fact, had he not founded Vanguard to offer low cost funds to investors, we would be paying a lot more today in terms of fees and loads. Just look at Canada, Europe and elsewhere in the world.
  • Agree.............two large fund families that put the big squeeze on the retail mutual fund marketing and fees, in favor of the small investor were Vanguard and Fidelity. I recall many times trying to steer folks away from spending the big loads for funds from the likes of E.F.Hutton, Merrill Lynch and related in the late 70's and through the 80's. The math was simple for the front and rear loads that were common; let alone the ongoing fund expenses. When one went walking into a 5.75% front load and all the other fees, you better hope for a stellar fund to allow one to make much of anything in the way of a profit; and even worse for those who were using taxable monies.
    Many investors today take the low fees, no loads as an ongoing fact; but this was not the case 20-30 years ago. And etf's have changed the game again, for those inclinced to forgo active manament.

Regards,
    Catch