Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Singapore's economy heading for melt-down?

Comments

• edited January 2014
    I noticed that MACSX has 27.8% of net assets in their top 10 holdings and of that, 8.5% is in three stocks located in Singapore.

Singapore Technologies Engineering, Ltd. 3.4%
    Keppel Corp., Ltd. 2.6%
    United Overseas Bank, Ltd. 2.5%

And of the 60 some odd holdings in the funds, my guess is that there are 4 or 5 more out of Singapore.

Of all my dedicated holdings in the Pacific/Asia, developed and emerging markets arena (about 8% of my total portfolio), are in MACSX and MAPIX. I also hold SGOVX and ARTKX.

MACSX has been slipping for a while now and MAPIX is not getting off to good start in 2014.

I am wondering if it is long overdue to re-allocate some from MACSX and MAPIX to SGOVX and ARTKX (which is 73% greater Europe). Or, since MACSX and MAPIX are located in two different retirements accounts and I have a lot of versatility, possibly some other international fund combination. Being that MAPIX has a soft close, I would want to keep some position in it.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Mona

• I have owned MACSX for over ten years and have no intention of selling. I just posted the article about Singapore as I had not seen anyone else forecasting a meltdown of its economy. Although the real estate is frothy and there can be some correction, I doubt there will be a melt-down like Iceland.

Some other observations.

GDP contracted (-2.7%) in last quarter
    http://www.tradingeconomics.com/singapore/gdp-growth
    Debt to GDP is improving
    http://www.tradingeconomics.com/country-list/government-debt-to-gdp