Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Discussions are really slow !

Problem onsite or otherwise?

Comments

• TedTed
    edited March 2014
    @Derf: Its a recurring problem throughout the day, early morning, midday, early evening. I still believe there are too many cooks involved in putting MFO on the web.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • You're quite free, by the way, to believe anything you wish. It would be nice if those beliefs were backed by some combination of evidence or expertise, rather than annoyance and suspicion.

To Derf's point: we're still trying to figure this one out. We've hired outside consultants who've done some painfully detailed monitoring. Their suspicion is that one or two plug-ins (Who's Online and analytics) might be causing problems with the MySQL database but that's not absolutely certain. While the Observer looks simple on the surface, there are as many as 50 processes running under the hood at any one time. Their current rec is that we do a full dump and reload of the database (which would clean out any accumulated crud but take us off-line for an hour or two) and increase the InnoDB buffer pool size (an interim move that might keep "slow" from becoming "crash"). He'll be working on-site tonight even as Chip, Charles, Ed and I jam to get the April issue done and posted.

Pray for us!

David
  • Amen, brother!
  • Ha!

Hey Joe, it's raining again here in California Central Coast.

Rain, man, rain!
  • Yes, indeed! We just got back to SF from the weekend up at Guerneville, and I can attest to the heavy rainfall up that way. Go, rain!!
  • edited April 2014
    I notice some infrequent very minor delays. Not enough to write home about. I'm talking in terms of several SECONDS, is all.
  • Crash said:

I notice some infrequent very minor delays. Not enough to write home about. I'm talking in terms of several SECONDS, is all.

I'm not really noticing anything much, either.
  • I'm on Mac/Safari and have absolutely no problems with MFO.
  • That's sort of the maddening part, as far as diagnostics go. We're fine then we have a two-minute spasm then we're fine again for 10 hours.