Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Off Topic – Gun owners

For family/home protection, I’m considering
a handgun purchase… my first handgun.

For sheer stopping power, I’ve looked at the Glock 17 Gen 4.
It’s a .45 caliber, 10 round auto.
And the Glock 41 Gen 4 - also a .45.

But, since most experts suggest new handgun buyers
start with a 9mm, I’ve looked at a large number of possible guns and
so far this is my short list.

Glock 19 – 9mm with 15 rounds;
Ruger P95 – 9mm dbl action;
and the Springfield XDM9.

Any comments or suggestions?

Comments

• @AKAFlack: Don't buy one unless your sure you can pull the trigger. I keep one of these under my pillow.
    Regards,
    Ted

• edited November 2014
    if you have kids under 14 living with you i don't think the risk reward favors a gun .it also matters if you are a good shot and clearly if its your first handgun i would practice
    before a purchase
  • edited November 2014
    What Jerry said. I am sure you know the stats about who most likely (by far) is injured or killed if you have anything along these lines in your house. So unasked advice would be not to do it.

That said, I would get a revolver, for reliability, 9mm or 357 or some such. And yes, absolutely practice and then some more.

Then also get a $5M umbrella policy, if they write them for handgun owners (probably do).

You been broken in on a lot, or live in drug-deal country?
  • What Ted says is true. The NRA or your local gun store might have some classes you can go to for defense and safety and to learn the local laws. 9mm is the way to go. Keep it simple. If you have never had a gun before, a revolver is a good choice.
  • Thanks for the replies… and your concerns.

So, just to clarify -
    Jerry - There are no young people in the house – those days
    are long gone.

My wife and I live in a quiet neighborhood but recently
    there have been a couple of daylight break-ins.

I have fired a handgun in the past although that was
    many years ago.
    Yes, I would take classes and practice on a shooting range.

And yes, I’m confident that I could pull the trigger.

Davidrmoran - good idea - I’ll check into gun owner insurance.

Ted - Yikes! 457! That’s bigger than my dog!

JohnChisum – Yes. Like my LT investing, I’ll keep it simple.

Thanks guys.

• Better yet, get a pump shotgun. Even with a handgun, unless you practice and create muscle memory, accuracy may be an issue. This concern decreases with a shotgun. I've also made use of cameras (inside and out). It is especially useful to be able to see visitors to the front door. I have cameras sold by the company 'Sharx'. I believe these are re-branded Y-Cams. I ordered these from Amazon. They are a bit expensive, but for the peace of mind they provide, I believe they are worth it.
  • Better yet, move to Mayberry. In my town, and even more so some of the smaller towns nearby, doors aren't even locked at night.
  • AK47. Protection is protection.
  • Hard to keep a shotgun under your pillow. I haven't had a gun in a long time, but having spent a number of years at SF 911 dispatch, I do remember that most of the cops there preferred the Glock 9mm to a .38 S&W pistol. Agree with the insurance suggestion- while the NRA is not on my personal list of preferred organizations, perhaps they would have some ideas or contacts on the insurance situation.
  • Don't disagree, but cops train all the time, good ones anyway, and I was thinking more of layman comfort and reliable operability with a revolver. As for shotgun, just sleep on the stock, come on.
  • Ted said:

@AKAFlack: Don't buy one unless your sure you can pull the trigger. I keep one of these under my pillow.
    Regards,
    Ted

Richochet ?!?!?!?!?!
  • Howdy,

Take your classes before you buy. 9mm is plenty of slug. Glocks sit wrong in your hand. Most of the carry junkies around here prefer the Sig Sauer. What you'll want to do is during and after your training, go to a shop with an indoor range and try out the popular models. See what fits YOUR hand. Fire a few rounds.

peace,

rono