Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited January 2015
    Waiting for Legend Holdings/ @scott 's Global Ag Theme
    Chinese Shuanghui International spent $7.1 billion to buy American Smithfield, the world’s largest pork producer and processor. It’s not surprising, then, that agribusiness is one of China’s hottest new industries. :
    Almost every aspect needs to be improved, from land and water use to logistics and retail. Legend Holdings, the parent company of Lenovo, now lists modern agriculture as one of its five core areas, with a portfolio that includes kiwi and blueberry farming.(From Jeffrey Towson and McKinsey’s Jonathan Woetzel explain in this excerpt from The One Hour China Book.)April 2014

Prudence Ho And
    Yvonne Lee WSJ
    Jan. 19, 2015 12:04 a.m. ET

HONG KONG—Chinese investment firm Legend Holdings Ltd., the largest shareholder of personal-computer maker Lenovo Group Ltd. , plans to raise US$2 billion to US$3 billion with a Hong Kong initial public offering in the second half of this year, people familiar with the matter said Monday.
    Legend is working closely with banks to plan the IPO, though it hasn’t officially appointed underwriters, one of the people said.
    Legend, which holds a 30.6% stake in Hong Kong-listed Lenovo, invests in a wide range of industries from technology to real estate to agriculture. In 2013, its revenue was 244.0 billion yuan (US$39.0 billion) and total assets were 207.0 billion yuan (US$33.1 billion), according to its website.
    Legend representatives couldn’t immediately be reached for comment.
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/legend-holdings-largest-lenovo-shareholder-seeks-hong-kong-ipo-1421643843
    2015 China Commentary From McKinsey&Company
    What could happen in China in 2015?
    What do you get when you add slower economic growth, greater volatility, and rising competition to more international flights and genuine Chinese innovation? McKinsey director Gordon Orr’s annual predictions.

December 2014 | byGordon Orr
    http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/strategy/what_could_happen_in_china_in_2015
  • edited January 2015
    You know, it's rather fascinating to see some of the Asian conglomerates. You have a parent company of computer co Lenovo who is a blueberry farmer. Swire is another interesting one, which owns everything from a Coca-cola distribution co to an airline to real estate.

I continue to own Hutchison Whampoa (which owns everything from ports to real estate to giant health/beauty chain AS Watson and telcos) and Jardine Matheson (large retail conglomerate Dairy Farm and Mandarin Oriental hotels, among a ton of other things.) Hutchison recently announced a major re-working of the corporate structure in an attempt to unlock value/erase the "conglomerate discount.

Both are moderately volatile and not for conservative investors - I consider them long-term holdings.

As for agriculture, I like Agrium (AGU), although it's run lately after raising its dividend payout ratio pretty significantly and starting a large buyback. I also added Alexander and Baldwin (AGU), which owns a large amount of ag land in Hawaii.
  • Leave it to the markets and the media to hype up another eating establishment as the next hot thing. Shake Shack must be a east coast thing like In and Out is on the West coast?

What is it with these resto stocks? Buffalo Wild Wings, chipotle, etc.
  • edited January 2015

Leave it to the markets and the media to hype up another eating establishment as the next hot thing. Shake Shack must be a east coast thing like In and Out is on the West coast?

What is it with these resto stocks? Buffalo Wild Wings, chipotle, etc.

People want the next Chipotle. The person behind Shake Shack has been highly successful, but I don't get - at least looking at the surface of it - how this differs as a concept.

While they don't have the same level of management, for every Chipotle, there's a Potbelly (post almost half since IPO), El Pollo Loco (almost half) and Noodles and Co (lost almost half since IPO).

I do think there's also some level of a lot of competition creeping up on McDonalds. Even Taco Bell has made some inroads in terms of high concept spin-offs.

I think my problem is that I just don't care. I like cooking, rarely eat out. I think Chipotle is just okay, so what do I know.

Also, Shake Shack just priced at $21, well above range. I'm guessing it will open higher than that.

I believe I just heard 5M shares being offered. I don't know if that's the case, but if that's the float I REALLY want nothing to do with this. The volatility of that as the media-driven demand meets that low amount of shares will be nauseating.

Edited to add (Yes, 5M shares. Woof.)
  • I am sure the media exposure has driven this IPO up. I would expect that same volatility. Remember Krispy Kreme?

Instead, I would put my spare money into buying some quality names as they are getting beat down. CAT for one.
  • Just what we need another greasy hamburger joint. No thanks !!
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted, what about White Castle?

I do agree. None of these restos are offering anything new and exciting. BWW was hyped up by Cramer. In the end, it's just another sports bar. The competition is good and the variety is welcome.

There is something about having a local or regional eatery that attracts attention. NYC and Chicago as well as other big metros have some excellent steak houses. I wouldn't want to see these multiplied like rabbits across the country and beyond. It takes the excitement out of visiting one of these places.
  • TedTed
    edited January 2015
    @John Chisum: " what about White Castle?" Now your talking, the slider is the Cadillac of burgers. If fact I'm getting a Craver Case (30) sliders to go with pizza on Super Bowl Sunday. You haven't lived until you've tasted a White Castle.
    Regards,
    Ted

White Castle: The Porcelain Palace

• edited January 2015
    Had a burger and shake at the shack in Madison Sq Park in NYC. Very good, but not too much to promote after that.

But very much unlike the gut bombs Ted is touting. If I wanted something not so healthy with Ohio roots, I would definitely stick with Skyline Chili...5 way....light onions.
  • I'll skip the Shake Shake IPO and wait for the Diabetes Diner IPO instead.:)
    Dave
  • I wonder, though, if most people want to go to the diner and find the same diet food as they were escaping at home.
  • @DaveSch, As a fellow type 2, I would have a steak and salad. I guess I have this thing about beef.
  • Way overpriced, yes, but fantastic burgers:)
  • edited January 2015
    DaveSch said:

I'll skip the Shake Shake IPO and wait for the Diabetes Diner IPO instead.:)
    Dave

LOL.

Speaking of that, look at NVO.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=NVO+Interactive#{"range":"max","scale":"linear"}

I've often said with CMG, MCD and others, just invest in PFE (Lipitor) and others. Rather than invest in the now, invest in the eventuality and get paid to wait.

• scott said:
    Dave sez -
    "I'll have a shake and a shot of Victoza to go, please. "
  • edited January 2015
    SHAK Last indicated (not opened yet, but a possible range at open) 31-33!!! Yeesh, that's nuts. Anyone who was lucky enough to get shares allocated should GTFO when it opens.

Edited: now 34-36

Edited again - 39-41!!! People lost their damn minds.

Edited again - 44-46, there's going to be some sad people in a few days when this comes back to reality.
  • Seeking Alpha and Stock Twits are going nuts with the comments on SHAK.
  • edited January 2015
    Opened at $47.21, traded over $50 briefly. When even Cramer says, "Over $30 is too expensive", I'm going to be fascinated to watch how this plays out over the next week.
  • Could be a good short-term short, but don't have time to keep an eye during the day
  • Roman candle.
  • Closed at $45.90. Up 118%. Looking at the chart, this stock shot up at the open and went horizontal to slightly down. Next week will tell.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Once all the hot air that Cramer blew in on this issue escapes, it will be all over except for the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Then again, I could be wrong. FB is a stock I thought would do the Roman candle act but it's still there. I'm old fashioned I guess. I like companies that produce something or provide a meaningful service. FB might fit the bill for the latter but the revenue part still baffles me. Their numbers are not all that good either.

• The funny thing is that Cramer said don't buy this morning and last night if it goes over $30.
  • Yep I heard about that. Not sure if he is serious or just in cya mode.