Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Radio Shack The End

TedTed
edited February 2015 in Off-Topic
FYI: Electronics retailer RadioShack Corp filed for U.S. bankruptcy protection on Thursday and said it had a deal in place to sell as many as 2,400 stores to Sprint and an affiliate of hedge fund Standard General, its lender and largest shareholder.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.reuters.com/assets/print?aid=USKBN0L92XC20150205

Jimmy Kimmel;

A Final Tribute: 2014 Super Bowl Ad:

Comments

• Off to the dustbin of history...c'est dommage.
  • A very long story, but quite true: if not for a Radio Shack store one short block away, I would not have acquired the knowledge to update my 1950's vacuum-tube electronics skills; I would not have thus qualified for the very well-paying job that I obtained; we would not have had the income to make decent investments; I would not be here talking to you folks today. Tampa Bay doesn't understand about random luck and financial security: I surely do.
  • Last year I stopped by in one to get a hd antenna for television. They had no idea what I was talking about. The place I was staying at had Antenna TV. The antenna was in poor shape.

I bought one at a big box store. Picks up about 30 channels for free.
  • "They had no idea what I was talking about." Yes, that was frequently my experience also in recent years. Actually, if they had a decent on-line setup, I could make all of my purchases from them that way. At one time years ago they had a very nice on-line setup, but that went away too, since they couldn't figure out what business they wanted to be in.
  • They were actually a case study that Chip pursued in the course of earning her MBA. She had the sense of a company that couldn't explain, even to itself, why it existed. Apropos JC's comment, she had a sense that they needed something like Apple's Genius Bar were they'd be able to serve as consultants and advisors, rather more than retailer clerks.

Like OJ, I have fond memories of them and, subsequent to Chip's discussion of them, found myself shopping there - happily enough - rather more than I had in decades.

David
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Howdy,

I too have fond memories but geez, it's like they're still selling tubes and this is the transistor age. They never progressed out of the industrial age.

peace,

rono
  • edited February 2015
    It'll be a while and I've said it before, but Gamestop eventually goes this route, as well. The video game industry will go all digital. With more than half (52%) the float of GME short, I guess I'm not the only one with that view.
  • edited February 2015
    Maybe prostitution will survive change. Is there an etf?

Radio Shack just isn't Radio Shack of yore. It long ago tugged nostalgically at my heart strings.
  • edited February 2015
    Anna said:

Maybe prostitution will survive change. Is there an etf?.

There is a fairly large strip club stock (RICK) Actually trading with an 9 p/e and under book value....
  • This is a rather sad turn of events...similar to when my favorite neighborhood hardware store in Cleveland Heights closed due to the proximity to a local big orange store.

• edited February 2015
    There used to be a time when you could walk into a Radio Shack and depend on their expertise (much like Circuit City). And then, the faces behind the counter became younger and younger (like Circuit City). Their expertise went away and now, so have they. I've seen this dilemma with many companies, the need to be as efficient and profitable as possible. But along the way, they forgot, or couldn't help the fact that it is their expertise that differentiates them. We could just go to Amazon to be on our own, most of us have.
  • Following up on BrianW's thoughts, here's today's NYTimes Editorial Notebook:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/16/opinion/goodbye-to-the-electronics-store.html

Anyone remember Lafayette Radio and Electronics? Ahead of its time - it went bust in 1981 - sold out to a store that later became Circuit City. What ever happened to them:-(
    http://www.ohio.edu/people/postr/bapix/LafArt_60_3.htm
  • Or Future Shop which was briefly a presence in the PNW.
  • I remember Lafayette Radio. There were a couple associate stores in the area. The owner was an old time ham radio operator. In the seventies the stores lost the Lafayette name and went by the business name. In 1961 the family went to New York City and my dad and I visited the main store in Paramus, NJ. I have lots of good memories of Lafayette Radio. I still have my Lafayette standing wave ratio bridge meter model #99-25835.:)

Dave http://makearadio.com
  • I just replaced the vacuum tubes in my (at least) 30 year old Heathkit IM-11 VTVM. The tubes came from Poland! (6AL5, 12AU7).