Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

ETF trends

edited September 2011 in Fund Discussions
My weekly ranking for my tax-sheltered account
1. GDX - Gold miners
2. IEF intermediate treasury
3. GLD - gold
4. TLT long-term treasury
5. TIP

Gold-miners are gaining strength and I will buy some tomorrow with the aim to establish
33% position (in tax-sheltered account only) in couple of weeks if the strength continues,
while reducing GLD correspondingly.

Comments

• Current rankings
    1. QQQ - NASDAQ 100
    2. IEF- intermediate treasury
    3. IEI - short term treasury
    4. voo - S&P 500
    5. AGG - aggregate bond

Both GLD and GDX have dropped out of top 5. Out of GLD yesterday and started a 33% position in QQQ. QQQ has also peaked above the 200 day MA.

http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/gallery.html?s=qqq

All my short-term trading is in tax-sheltered account.
  • Current ranking
    1. IEF
    2. GLD
    3. TLT
    4. BND
    5. DVY / SDY

Yesterday, switched to GLD 66%, SDY 33%. Not convinced about bonds.

All my short-term trading is in tax-sheltered account.
  • edited November 2011
    Howdy Kaspa,

Thank you for the update. I will presume you may have looked at these two, too; as they have a relationship to sectors you are invested.

EDV
    LTPZ

You have not noted; so I will presume you are satisfied with your returns, YTD.

I will note that I have a smile on my face as I write this portion; as you note that you are not convinced about bonds; and our house is also on the fence with just about every sector we hold. WAIT, I will adjust that thought.........investment grade bonds and some areas of Treasury issues, including TIPs should hold their own over the next year.....my best guess, eh?
    I am only convinced that the best of the traders; be it equity or bonds, should have very large gains at year's end, when they add up the profits.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Thanks, Catch. I have not included these in my screens as the volume is relatively low. I used to track a lot of ETFs, but over the years I have minimized the number to track. Adding too many ETFs increases effort, trading-frequency without much increase in returns. I am quite satisfied with my YTD returns, 4-5% higher than my artbitrary benchmarks (VFINX, FPACX, OAKBX) and about the same as PRPFX.