Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Working on site

I'll be working today, to implement a few changes to the site's appearance. We're going to have a fresh new look!

As a result, the site may be a bit less stable today, and you may notice aspects of our look changing. As always, we thank you for your patience and good cheer.

Comments

• @chip: if it's not broke, don't fix it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Looks nice. Spring-ish.
  • Ditto. Great job.
  • edited March 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Feedback is always appreciated. We do have a few outstanding issues that we're working on (fonts and a couple of graphics are not quite right), so it's not final yet. If you see something else I should add to the list, that would be great.
  • Thanks, Chip.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ Maurice: Your correct, the banner at the top is way to big, but as I said before, if it's not broke, don't fix it. The powers to be believe they can build a better mousetrap !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • After spending some time adjusting to the new banner, and considering the impression that a new viewer might have, I realized that the only reason that I could "connect" with the new "Owl logo" as it's presently configured is because I already knew what it was. If I hadn't, it just looks like a bunch of fairly random light-blue lines.

I'd recommend sizing down that Owl graphic so that more of it appears within the blue section of the banner. (Unlike Ted, I have no problem with the overall size of the banner.) The font type and white color used for the "Mutual Fund Observer" text looks good as it presently stands, but if the Owl graphic is made a bit smaller it might be advisable to also reduce the MFO text a font size or two so as to keep a good proportionality.

I will be invoicing David for the time spent constructing my professional critique.
  • ".....already knew what it was..." OJ's mention of it made me look again. I had looked right past that. I'm not a techie by any means. Adjusting the size of fonts and images is not a thing that occurs to me. I tend to work with or work around what's in front of me.:)
  • "Adjusting the size of fonts and images is not a thing that occurs to me."

Yes, from what I've noticed that's pretty common. I've always been, I dunno- interested? "sensitive"? anal? about that kind of stuff.:-)
  • TedTed
    edited March 2015
    @ MFO Members: I see the owl instead of MFO in a box is now the official logo of the Mutual Fund Observer. All I've got to say is this is a dire walking event in life
    Regards,
    Ted
    Walk Of Life: Dire Straits
  • Maurice said:

I don't know what is on your list, but here are my takes. The new banner and the next two lines from the discussion page, take up half of my laptop's screen. The good news is that as I scroll down they disappear.

The white on green is a bit hard to read. The gray on ??? (I think it is a mix of light blue and white) is harder to read.

I haven't spent time on any other page, so no comments there.

My thoughts parallel Maurice. I especially am not fond of the white on green. I constantly use those tools and my eyes strain to read the headings.

Mona

• "My thoughts parallel Maurice. I especially am not fond of the white on green. I constantly use those tools and my eyes strain to read the headings."

Yes, I also am especially not fond of the white on green. My suggestion for the background color for that header line would be either dark grey or very dark red.
  • I like the green band, but find it a trifle difficile to read white letters against it. Not the end of the world.
    I also like the owlie eyes peaking over the top of the wall, and the subtle homage to Columbia Pictures' torch. That should keep the incessant YouTube linkers very happy.
  • Maurice said:

I noticed a change in the color of the gray font, where the sign out is. It is better to read now.

I believe the white font on green is bigger now, making it easier to read. Of course I've taken those placebo pills, and think I feel much better.

Those are exactly the things I've changed to try to make it better. I also made the menu bars a bit narrower, to give a little more vertical space. I'll see what I can do to improve it more over the weekend.
  • ditto.
  • @ MFO Members: In my opinion, the powers to be at MFO are more interested in style rather than substance. In spite of that we will continue to provide the MFO Discussion Board the most current web news and views involving the world of funds.
    Regards,
    ted
  • Surely, the others join me in thanking you for all of your contributions, Ted.:)
  • Even the logo for MFO in my toolbar bookmarks now has two owlish eyes staring at me. Cool, or what?