Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

too much time in retirement?

This article made me laugh...I have been retired for 12 years, and living with my long-time bf for the last six. Retirement was ok while my kids were still at home, but when they left the nest and my bf and I moved to FL together, we confronted a lot of the issues in this article. Warning....be careful what you wish for!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/retirement/one-way-having-too-much-free-time-in-retirement-could-backfire/ar-BBmFITG?li=AA4Zjn

Comments

• I recently read a book “The One-Page Financial Plan” by Carl Richards. This book starts out by asking why is money important to you. As a result, the top item in my financial plan is to spend time with my spouse enjoying the adventure of life. Different people will want to experience different adventures, it’s up to them to decide. In our case we enjoy photography, going to concerts and taking trips to places like Yosemite Valley and Big Sur to take pictures. On Halloween we went to see actor John Barrymore in the movie Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - silent, in black and white, but the organ music was fantastic. We do not find enough time to do all the things we would like.

I suspect many people do not have sufficient money in retirement to fund taking trips and other entertainments. I keep reading about persons not saving enough for retirement. The lack of savings could lead to the problems described in the article. However there are inexpensive activities such as taking walks that can be enjoyable. My advice to retirees is just get outside of the house and do something - even if it only to take a walk around the block.
  • We are semi retired or transitioning if you will. My wife is my best bud and we are business partners as well. We agree with Hawleyl's post above. Find inexpensive things to do and take pleasure in them. Not many of us can go from one expensive trip after another. And really, if you are not happy partaking in local enjoyment what makes you think you will be any happier after flying half way around the world seeking nirvana.