Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Warren Buffett’s Way To Invest For Retirement: 90/10 Allocation

FYI: The Sage of Omaha’s proposed 90/10 asset allocation could provide superior upside potential and downside protection, a study has found.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.ai-cio.com/channel/ASSET-ALLOCATION/Warren-Buffett-s-Way-to-Invest-for-Retirement/

Comments

• beebee
    edited November 2015
    If the last thirty years are any indicator of future trends in Healthcare, maybe a 90/10 portfolio of VGHCX / VFISX vs Warren's VFINX / VFISX: (click on each image for better clarity)

• Thanks Ted
  • edited November 2015
    @bee - brilliant! Not sure what site you used. Could you please oblige using other major sectors, i.e. technology, financial and materials.
  • Glad to share. Try it you'll like it.

Thanks to @MJG, @Davidmoran, @catch22 and maybe others who have referenced this site. Very rich in historical data.

Play around with it an teach us a thing or three.

https://portfoliovisualizer.com/backtest-portfolio
  • edited November 2015
    Oh yes! I recall now. TYVM.
  • Of course, Buffett's family can think outside the box with their very different time horizon for a lot of these things.
  • With the amount of money to invest, Buffet's family can live off of interest without drawing down on equity positions. I was thinking about Buffett's method when I bought an entry position in VFIAX on 9/10/15. It is now almost 8% higher.
  • edited November 2015
    Yeah, once I get my 1st $ 1 BILLION I will consider a 90/10 allocation...!

I have in my possession an old (~1960s era) edition of "The Intelligent Investor", written by Buffett's one-time mentor, Ben Graham. In it, he discusses the topic of asset allocation. He wisely admitted that there is no optimum allocation advice for all investors, but as a general guideline that a 2-asset (equities, US Treasurys) portfolio should generally contain no more equities than 75% and no less than 25% for most investors. Graham described that investors younger and more risk-tolerant might have as much (but no more) than 75% equities; older and less risk-tolerant investors should still have at least 25% equities. Basically any extreme allocation outside the 75/25 to 25/75 was not recommended.

Graham's counsel always seemed to me to be simple -- and thus easy for an individual to implement-- and wise.

(Several years ago, I paged through a modern edition of Graham's book in a Barnes & Noble, looking for that passage, but it seems to have been posthumously excised, perhaps replaced by "newer, enlightened" thinking during the great 1990's bull market).

An aside: I doubt Graham would have much positive to say regarding the current excitement with "alternative strategies" -- especially given the expense ratios in vehicles available to retail investors.